Hamstring problems

Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last

  1. Quote Originally Posted by BLaQz View Post
    Is your lower back arched?
    Everyone's lumbar is arched. That's the natural contour of the spine. I think what you're trying to ask is if he has kyphosis.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys



  2. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja

    Everyone's lumbar is arched. That's the natural contour of the spine. I think what you're trying to ask is if he has kyphosis.
    Lordosis
    •   
       


  3. Quote Originally Posted by BLaQz View Post
    Lordosis
    ****, I was posting about kyphosis in another thread and it was on my mind. Regardless, every lumbar is arched and should be. If he has anterior pelvic tilt, then he will also have a degree of lordosis as well. It's just another way to ask the same question.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys


  4. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja

    ****, I was posting about kyphosis in another thread and it was on my mind. Regardless, every lumbar is arched and should be. If he has anterior pelvic tilt, then he will also have a degree of lordosis as well. It's just another way to ask the same question.
    He said he doesn't know how to tell if his pelvis is tilted or not... Just trying to give cue points really... Everyone has an arch, yes...

  5. Quote Originally Posted by BLaQz View Post
    He said he doesn't know how to tell if his pelvis is tilted or not... Just trying to give cue points really... Everyone has an arch, yes...
    That's why I was pointing out that asking if he has an arch is misleading. Having an arch does not indicate lordosis and/or anterior pelvic tilt. There used to be a bitchin' article about this over at M&M, but it's been removed from the database.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

    •   
       


  6. Strengthen your glutes, hamstrings, abs & stretch erector spinae, hip flexors...

  7. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja

    That's why I was pointing out that asking if he has an arch is misleading. Having an arch does not indicate lordosis and/or anterior pelvic tilt. There used to be a bitchin' article about this over at M&M, but it's been removed from the database.
    Ahh ok, got ya...

  8. Thanks for the info guys. My low back has a good natural shape. My mid lower back seems to be swollen and bulging/rounded.. My whole right back side from bottom to shoulder blades/traps is swollen and my left shoulder at time ls hangs noticeably lower than my right. I wore inserts the last month and a half but in both shoes.. Perhaps should wear only in the shorter leg. I have since removed them the last week and pain has decrease somewhat.

    I stopped doing all hip flexor dominant ab work and really focused on things like frog crunches, rope crunches, knee raises, double crunches.. Anything that doest engage my hip flexors. But really to no avail.

    It is worth noting this is purely a choice to workout and I take it very seriously. I am not a powerlifter.. Purely out to impove my physique and be healthy- stopping deadlofts definitely shrank my waist a solid inch - inch 1/2 from 33 to 32ish.. I'm wondering if you think I should do straight leg deads rather than off the floor (I was doing off the floor) and/or kettle swings and/or DB deads?

  9. Quote Originally Posted by chedapalooza
    Thanks for the info guys. My low back has a good natural shape. My mid lower back seems to be swollen and bulging/rounded.. My whole right back side from bottom to shoulder blades/traps is swollen and my left shoulder at time ls hangs noticeably lower than my right. I wore inserts the last month and a half but in both shoes.. Perhaps should wear only in the shorter leg. I have since removed them the last week and pain has decrease somewhat.

    I stopped doing all hip flexor dominant ab work and really focused on things like frog crunches, rope crunches, knee raises, double crunches.. Anything that doest engage my hip flexors. But really to no avail.

    It is worth noting this is purely a choice to workout and I take it very seriously. I am not a powerlifter.. Purely out to impove my physique and be healthy- stopping deadlofts definitely shrank my waist a solid inch - inch 1/2 from 33 to 32ish.. I'm wondering if you think I should do straight leg deads rather than off the floor (I was doing off the floor) and/or kettle swings and/or DB deads?
    Knee raises do involve hip flexors... I'd go kettle bells over deads, simply because you work your glutes & hamstrings... Not so much your back...

  10. Quote Originally Posted by BLaQz

    Knee raises do involve hip flexors... I'd go kettle bells over deads, simply because you work your glutes & hamstrings... Not so much your back...
    K. Right well hanging lr hits hip flexors.. I really ficus on isolating and contracting abs when doing knee raises, hinging at the hips n pulling with my abs as opposed to flexors

  11. Quote Originally Posted by chedapalooza

    K. Right well hanging lr hits hip flexors.. I really ficus on isolating and contracting abs when doing knee raises, hinging at the hips n pulling with my abs as opposed to flexors
    I came across this thread that should help... I'm not brushing you off... There's just some good info in it for you I think... Let know if it helps...

    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/exerc...tremental.html

  12. Quote Originally Posted by BLaQz

    I came across this thread that should help... I'm not brushing you off... There's just some good info in it for you I think... Let know if it helps...

    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/exerc...tremental.html
    I'll check it out later on, I'm at work. Thanks again for the advice/info

  13. Quote Originally Posted by chedapalooza

    I'll check it out later on, I'm at work. Thanks again for the advice/info
    Anytime...

  14. Quote Originally Posted by chedapalooza View Post
    I too for the first time in my life am having hammy issues. Specifically tightness verrrrry high up right near where the hamstring meets the glute. I stopped dead lifting regularly in June due to low back issue/hip flexor pain and tightness. I have only dl twice or 3 times since then. I'm wondering of the tightness is related to my hams receiving less work than they've been used to for the past 5 years of consistent weekly dead lifting? Ive still done bb lunges, sumo squats and all leg curl variations including glute hams. I Necer used to do seated leg curls and since starting that is when the tightness really began honestly. It feels awkward and I do not like Yhe movement. As for the 3:2 strength ratio- my quads and hams are about even, if that means anything, hams might be a tad stronger actually. I have very tighthip flexors as well and piriformis inflammation which has been on going for 3 years almost. I have always been very flexible and stretch regularly. I do hiit treadmill 3x a week and incline walking/elliptical 4-5 times. My hams feel weak when standing up and during lateral movement and stretching, feel like they're going to snap! What should I do? :/
    Stop doing leg curls. The hamstrings primary function is to extend the hip, and by doing leg curls, especially seated ones you are (for lack of a better term) confusing the neural drive to the muscle. Also, seated ham curls only work the short head of the biceps femoris, which is rarely injured. Stick to exercises where you have to keep the hip extended if you wish to train knee flexion, such as GHR and swiss ball leg curls while keeping a good solid supine bridge.

    Next bold point. Stop treadmill running and elyptical work. The elyptical is a very hip flexion dominate movement, and running on a treadmill promotes overstriding, which places the hamstring in a weakened position. If you are going to do treadmill running, then work off a large incline to promote landing with the foot under the center of gravity and "pushing' with the glutes vs. pulling with the hamstrings.

    Br

  15. Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED

    Stop doing leg curls. The hamstrings primary function is to extend the hip, and by doing leg curls, especially seated ones you are (for lack of a better term) confusing the neural drive to the muscle. Also, seated ham curls only work the short head of the biceps femoris, which is rarely injured. Stick to exercises where you have to keep the hip extended if you wish to train knee flexion, such as GHR and swiss ball leg curls while keeping a good solid supine bridge.

    Next bold point. Stop treadmill running and elyptical work. The elyptical is a very hip flexion dominate movement, and running on a treadmill promotes overstriding, which places the hamstring in a weakened position. If you are going to do treadmill running, then work off a large incline to promote landing with the foot under the center of gravity and "pushing' with the glutes vs. pulling with the hamstrings.

    Br
    Great info and points thank you! Swiss ball leg curls- are those simply body weight? I will stop seated leg curls and stick to lying.

    So just drop elliptical? I can live with that- fwiw- it Is a precor and the incline can be adjusted if that makes a difference?

    Lastly- I do not have location to run outdoors and winter is approaching . Would u suggest incline hiit? I've been doing it flat for years between 9 and 10mph on/ 4 mph off. Should I just decrease speed and raise incline? I read that it must be aY 10 degrees at The least to reduce hip flexion?

  16. Also- I'm a waiter. At work right now and been on my feet since 10 am. Experiencing quad and oblique tightness / swelling on one side

  17. Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED

    Stop doing leg curls. The hamstrings primary function is to extend the hip, and by doing leg curls, especially seated ones you are (for lack of a better term) confusing the neural drive to the muscle. Also, seated ham curls only work the short head of the biceps femoris, which is rarely injured. Stick to exercises where you have to keep the hip extended if you wish to train knee flexion, such as GHR and swiss ball leg curls while keeping a good solid supine bridge.

    Next bold point. Stop treadmill running and elyptical work. The elyptical is a very hip flexion dominate movement, and running on a treadmill promotes overstriding, which places the hamstring in a weakened position. If you are going to do treadmill running, then work off a large incline to promote landing with the foot under the center of gravity and "pushing' with the glutes vs. pulling with the hamstrings.

    Br
    What's your thought on trading the elliptical for the rowing machine?

  18. Quote Originally Posted by chedapalooza View Post
    Great info and points thank you! Swiss ball leg curls- are those simply body weight? I will stop seated leg curls and stick to lying.

    So just drop elliptical? I can live with that- fwiw- it Is a precor and the incline can be adjusted if that makes a difference?

    Lastly- I do not have location to run outdoors and winter is approaching . Would u suggest incline hiit? I've been doing it flat for years between 9 and 10mph on/ 4 mph off. Should I just decrease speed and raise incline? I read that it must be aY 10 degrees at The least to reduce hip flexion?
    SB leg curls are body weight. Once you get good at them and can do 3 x 15 with good form and minimal fatigue (emphasis on good form - hips extended, controlled movement, etc.) you can start doing single leg curls on the SB. You can also do single and double leg hamstring slides, and add some bands for resistance.

    Running involves hip flexion, no matter how you shake it. The problem with flat sprinting and running is that you can do it easily with the pelvis in some degree of anterior tilt, 1. because you are not using the glutes correctly, and 2. because you do not need as high of knee drive. When you start running up hill (or pushing a prowler) you now need to flex the hip to 90 degrees, which becomes very difficult unless the pelvis is positioned neutral or slightly tilted posterior. This will strengthen your glutes, improve your technique, and alleviate some of the hip flexion issues.

    As a side note, winter is a few months off (you are in CT, not MN), and being from CT, I am sure you have locations you can run outside or hills you can get to.

    Br

  19. Quote Originally Posted by BLaQz View Post
    What's your thought on trading the elliptical for the rowing machine?
    That's also a viable idea. When done correct it requires a great deal of glute and upper back activity.

  20. Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED

    SB leg curls are body weight. Once you get good at them and can do 3 x 15 with good form and minimal fatigue (emphasis on good form - hips extended, controlled movement, etc.) you can start doing single leg curls on the SB. You can also do single and double leg hamstring slides, and add some bands for resistance.

    Running involves hip flexion, no matter how you shake it. The problem with flat sprinting and running is that you can do it easily with the pelvis in some degree of anterior tilt, 1. because you are not using the glutes correctly, and 2. because you do not need as high of knee drive. When you start running up hill (or pushing a prowler) you now need to flex the hip to 90 degrees, which becomes very difficult unless the pelvis is positioned neutral or slightly tilted posterior. This will strengthen your glutes, improve your technique, and alleviate some of the hip flexion issues.

    As a side note, winter is a few months off (you are in CT, not MN), and being from CT, I am sure you have locations you can run outside or hills you can get to.

    Br
    Thanks br .

  21. So would general consensus be to try wearing insert in my shorter leg?

    Br- should I still do lying leg curls in addition to the Swiss ball? How do you feel about bb or db sldl

  22. Quote Originally Posted by chedapalooza View Post
    So would general consensus be to try wearing insert in my shorter leg?

    Br- should I still do lying leg curls in addition to the Swiss ball? How do you feel about bb or db sldl
    No, no need for lying leg curls. Stick to swiss ball leg curls and hamstring slides where you have phsyically keep the hip extended (unlike the curl machine, where the hip is passively extended, and you can over arch your back to complete the movement)...this is only going to further the anterior pelvic tilt.

    Do rumanian dead lifts or good mornings. You can also do supine hamstring hip extensions with a band.

  23. Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED

    No, no need for lying leg curls. Stick to swiss ball leg curls and hamstring slides where you have phsyically keep the hip extended (unlike the curl machine, where the hip is passively extended, and you can over arch your back to complete the movement)...this is only going to further the anterior pelvic tilt.

    Do rumanian dead lifts or good mornings. You can also do supine hamstring hip extensions with a band.
    Thank you very much

  24. Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED View Post
    SB leg curls are body weight. Once you get good at them and can do 3 x 15 with good form and minimal fatigue (emphasis on good form - hips extended, controlled movement, etc.) you can start doing single leg curls on the SB. You can also do single and double leg hamstring slides, and add some bands for resistance.
    I'd appreciate it if you could link a video to this exercise

  25. Its really easy if you have a slide board; however, they aren't very common in most commercial gyms.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxWsh7KWEdA

    Notice how she keeps her hips extended through the entire movement, and how her hips DO NOT touch the floor. I would suggest slowing the movement down compared to what you see in the video, but the form is good.

    What you'll also notice, is that during this movement the pelvis has to stay in a neutral position due to the intense gluteal contraction as compared to say this (jack-hole) where the pelvis tilts anterior to complete each rep:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Tq3QdYUuHs

    Br
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. hamstring and hip opening..
    By JudoJosh in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-31-2010, 12:43 AM
  2. Hamstring injury.
    By pavb10 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-04-2009, 09:46 PM
  3. strained hamstring
    By Necroticism in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-13-2008, 07:15 PM
  4. Hamstring avulsion???
    By pavb10 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-04-2008, 10:01 PM
  5. Tore my Hamstring two days ago. Please help!
    By Irish Cannon in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-24-2007, 03:18 PM
Log in
Log in