Hamstring problems - AnabolicMinds.com - Page 2

Hamstring problems

Page 2 of 2 First 12
  1. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'7"   lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Also- I'm a waiter. At work right now and been on my feet since 10 am. Experiencing quad and oblique tightness / swelling on one side
    "no failure is final, nor is any success"
    Follow my 2014 training and supps!
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/240285-chedapaloozas-2014-training.html

2. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  182 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED

Stop doing leg curls. The hamstrings primary function is to extend the hip, and by doing leg curls, especially seated ones you are (for lack of a better term) confusing the neural drive to the muscle. Also, seated ham curls only work the short head of the biceps femoris, which is rarely injured. Stick to exercises where you have to keep the hip extended if you wish to train knee flexion, such as GHR and swiss ball leg curls while keeping a good solid supine bridge.

Next bold point. Stop treadmill running and elyptical work. The elyptical is a very hip flexion dominate movement, and running on a treadmill promotes overstriding, which places the hamstring in a weakened position. If you are going to do treadmill running, then work off a large incline to promote landing with the foot under the center of gravity and "pushing' with the glutes vs. pulling with the hamstrings.

Br
    What's your thought on trading the elliptical for the rowing machine?
  3. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by chedapalooza View Post
    Great info and points thank you! Swiss ball leg curls- are those simply body weight? I will stop seated leg curls and stick to lying.

So just drop elliptical? I can live with that- fwiw- it Is a precor and the incline can be adjusted if that makes a difference?

Lastly- I do not have location to run outdoors and winter is approaching . Would u suggest incline hiit? I've been doing it flat for years between 9 and 10mph on/ 4 mph off. Should I just decrease speed and raise incline? I read that it must be aY 10 degrees at The least to reduce hip flexion?
    SB leg curls are body weight. Once you get good at them and can do 3 x 15 with good form and minimal fatigue (emphasis on good form - hips extended, controlled movement, etc.) you can start doing single leg curls on the SB. You can also do single and double leg hamstring slides, and add some bands for resistance.

Running involves hip flexion, no matter how you shake it. The problem with flat sprinting and running is that you can do it easily with the pelvis in some degree of anterior tilt, 1. because you are not using the glutes correctly, and 2. because you do not need as high of knee drive. When you start running up hill (or pushing a prowler) you now need to flex the hip to 90 degrees, which becomes very difficult unless the pelvis is positioned neutral or slightly tilted posterior. This will strengthen your glutes, improve your technique, and alleviate some of the hip flexion issues.

As a side note, winter is a few months off (you are in CT, not MN), and being from CT, I am sure you have locations you can run outside or hills you can get to.

Br
    •   

4. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by BLaQz View Post
    What's your thought on trading the elliptical for the rowing machine?
    That's also a viable idea. When done correct it requires a great deal of glute and upper back activity.
  5. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'7"   lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

SB leg curls are body weight. Once you get good at them and can do 3 x 15 with good form and minimal fatigue (emphasis on good form - hips extended, controlled movement, etc.) you can start doing single leg curls on the SB. You can also do single and double leg hamstring slides, and add some bands for resistance.

Running involves hip flexion, no matter how you shake it. The problem with flat sprinting and running is that you can do it easily with the pelvis in some degree of anterior tilt, 1. because you are not using the glutes correctly, and 2. because you do not need as high of knee drive. When you start running up hill (or pushing a prowler) you now need to flex the hip to 90 degrees, which becomes very difficult unless the pelvis is positioned neutral or slightly tilted posterior. This will strengthen your glutes, improve your technique, and alleviate some of the hip flexion issues.

As a side note, winter is a few months off (you are in CT, not MN), and being from CT, I am sure you have locations you can run outside or hills you can get to.

Br
    Thanks br .
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/240285-chedapaloozas-2014-training.html
  6. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'7"   lbs.

So would general consensus be to try wearing insert in my shorter leg?

Br- should I still do lying leg curls in addition to the Swiss ball? How do you feel about bb or db sldl
  7. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.

So would general consensus be to try wearing insert in my shorter leg?

Br- should I still do lying leg curls in addition to the Swiss ball? How do you feel about bb or db sldl
    No, no need for lying leg curls. Stick to swiss ball leg curls and hamstring slides where you have phsyically keep the hip extended (unlike the curl machine, where the hip is passively extended, and you can over arch your back to complete the movement)...this is only going to further the anterior pelvic tilt.

Do rumanian dead lifts or good mornings. You can also do supine hamstring hip extensions with a band.
  8. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'7"   lbs.

No, no need for lying leg curls. Stick to swiss ball leg curls and hamstring slides where you have phsyically keep the hip extended (unlike the curl machine, where the hip is passively extended, and you can over arch your back to complete the movement)...this is only going to further the anterior pelvic tilt.

Do rumanian dead lifts or good mornings. You can also do supine hamstring hip extensions with a band.
    Thank you very much
  9. Professional Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED View Post
    I'd appreciate it if you could link a video to this exercise
    Squats do a booty good.
  10. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.

Its really easy if you have a slide board; however, they aren't very common in most commercial gyms.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxWsh7KWEdA

Notice how she keeps her hips extended through the entire movement, and how her hips DO NOT touch the floor. I would suggest slowing the movement down compared to what you see in the video, but the form is good.

What you'll also notice, is that during this movement the pelvis has to stay in a neutral position due to the intense gluteal contraction as compared to say this (jack-hole) where the pelvis tilts anterior to complete each rep:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Tq3QdYUuHs

Br
  11. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'7"   lbs.

Just wanted to update for those who were helping-

I took a full week off from training. Pain did NOT subside. I did more
    Research and have implemented a few new exercises and changed my cardio training. I now do hiit on a treadmill with a minimum of 10% incline at 6-7 mph and 2.5 during rest phase.

Exercise wise- I am doing
    Glute ham bridges
    One leg rear foot elevated squats
    Overhead squats
    Sumo db squats on 2 benches
    Trap deads subbed for bb deads
    Sldl with db's
    Bb hip thrusts with back across bench
    Leg curls and extension
    Abductor and addctor work
    And calves obviously

So far, after 2 weeks of this- ALL PAIN IS GONE! I feel very solid and strong again in my lower body. I can't explain it but I feel like a new man. I think in my attempt to reduce pain, I got weaker.. Now that's I'm functionally strengthening my problem areas, I feel awesome!
  12. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  182 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by chedapalooza

Research and have implemented a few new exercises and changed my cardio training. I now do hiit on a treadmill with a minimum of 10% incline at 6-7 mph and 2.5 during rest phase.

Glute ham bridges
    Overhead squats
    Sldl with db's
    Leg curls and extension
    And calves obviously

So far, after 2 weeks of this- ALL PAIN IS GONE! I feel very solid and strong again in my lower body. I can't explain it but I feel like a new man. I think in my attempt to reduce pain, I got weaker.. Now that's I'm functionally strengthening my problem areas, I feel awesome!
    Glad to hear it bud... ZiR RED knows his stuff...
  13. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  143 lbs.

Do you run on a treadmill? That would impair your use of hams while running.
  14. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'7"   lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by PrimiFit
    Do you run on a treadmill? That would impair your use of hams while running.
    Quote Originally Posted by chedapalooza

Glute ham bridges
    Overhead squats
    Sldl with db's
    Leg curls and extension
    And calves obviously

I used to do it flat on treadmill with no incline obviously at 9-10mph

The incline forces me to keep my stride at a normal length n use my legs to run rather than my hips and hip flexors. It helps me strike ground below my body, not ahead of it.
  15. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'7"   lbs.

Ok updated and new help needed lol

Now I
    Have lost a large amount of flexibility in my UPPER hams, like right where they meet the lower glutes. Mostly on ONE side. However, when strtching, I spread my legs out to the side, I can Notmally place my chest on the floor in front of me and just be freakishly flexible.. But now I literally can't even lean forward without extreme tightness and pain in that area of the hams I mentioned above. Worth noting however- with legs TOGETHER STRAIGHT OUT IN FRONT seated like doing a sit and reach, I can easily grasp the bottoms of my shoes and stretch with no pain whatsoever. Ideas? I'm thinking my glutes and hams r tightening due to the extra work im doing like GH bridges, sldl, bb hip thrusts, and especially doing all my hiit cardio on an incline of 10-15 degrees on the. treadmill
  16. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.

Those types of stretches are not a test of hamstring flexibility, since its a measure of spinal flexion, IS joint rotation, and then some at the hip. What you might actually be feeling is some stretch in the sciatic nerve when doing those tests.

If you want to assess true passive hamstring flexibility a supine lying single leg raise with a straight knee is an easy way. Lie on your back, and while keeping your back flat and your right knee slightly bent, flex at the left hip keeping the left knee extended. See how far you, go repeat on the other side. Then, you can do this every month to assess if your ROM is increasing or decreasing. Much more appropriate and specific to sprinting and other real life/sport activities.

Br
  17. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'7"   lbs.

Those types of stretches are not a test of hamstring flexibility, since its a measure of spinal flexion, IS joint rotation, and then some at the hip. What you might actually be feeling is some stretch in the sciatic nerve when doing those tests.

If you want to assess true passive hamstring flexibility a supine lying single leg raise with a straight knee is an easy way. Lie on your back, and while keeping your back flat and your right knee slightly bent, flex at the left hip keeping the left knee extended. See how far you, go repeat on the other side. Then, you can do this every month to assess if your ROM is increasing or decreasing. Much more appropriate and specific to sprinting and other real life/sport activities.

Br
    Oh I do that too. I cab pull my leg clear over my chest.. I will take a pic of the affected area (clothed) lol and post if maybe that could further your assessment.. I did some tennis ball rolling for the first time last night on glutes hams n quads n will continue
  18. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'7"   lbs.

Br
    Oh I do that too. I cab pull my leg clear over my chest.. I will take a pic of the affected area (clothed) lol and post if maybe that could further your assessment.. I did some tennis ball rolling for the first time last night on glutes hams n quads n will continue

And the ortho i saw last week said I do have SI joint inflammation
  19. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.

And the ortho i saw last week said I do have SI joint inflammation
    I don't want you to pull your leg over your chest. I want you to focus on keeping your back flat against the floor and your other leg outstretched and nearly fully extended. Keep your arms at your side. Then, without any additional spinal flexion or extension, raise your leg by using your hip flexors. See how far you flex the hip before you have to compensate by flexing the spine or your other leg. This will give you an idea of what your "functional" hamstring flexibility/mobility really is.
  20. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'7"   lbs.

I don't want you to pull your leg over your chest. I want you to focus on keeping your back flat against the floor and your other leg outstretched and nearly fully extended. Keep your arms at your side. Then, without any additional spinal flexion or extension, raise your leg by using your hip flexors. See how far you flex the hip before you have to compensate by flexing the spine or your other leg. This will give you an idea of what your "functional" hamstring flexibility/mobility really is.
    Gotcha will do
  21. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.

What if you can only raise it like ... 20-30 degrees that way? Lol.
    Check your form: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/exercise-science/190675-proper-techniques.html
    Log: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/235436-tossing-weight-torobestia.html
  22. On my grind
    Stats
    5'8"  182 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by Torobestia View Post
    Im the same way. My rom in that area is terrible.
    E-Pharm Rep... PM me with any questions or concerns
  23. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  182 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Torobestia
    90 is usually the acceptable mark... So... Look up PNF Stretching...
  24. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.

Ok. I've been doing some light reading since you commented on the matter, Blaqz. What none of this reading has specified is how often to do the PNF stretches or how to vary them (they list different variations, but how do I know which to use/when)?

It appears I would keep these a couple days apart, and I would do them either after a workout or after cardio. I wont need a partner for this I dont think because I have one of those therapeutic rope things that have notches in them for you to place your foot in, and two handles to hold onto.
    Check your form: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/exercise-science/190675-proper-techniques.html
    Log: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/235436-tossing-weight-torobestia.html
  25. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  182 lbs.

Ok. I've been doing some light reading since you commented on the matter, Blaqz. What none of this reading has specified is how often to do the PNF stretches or how to vary them (they list different variations, but how do I know which to use/when)?

It appears I would keep these a couple days apart, and I would do them either after a workout or after cardio. I wont need a partner for this I dont think because I have one of those therapeutic rope things that have notches in them for you to place your foot in, and two handles to hold onto.
    Hard to explain, but this is how I do the hamstrings:

-Flat on your back with one leg pretty much straight out...
    -Proceed to lift the opposite leg up(no knee bending) & stretch as far as you can...
    -When you reach your limit, stretch a little further(approximately 5)...
    -It should burn a little & maybe begin to shake...
    -While holding your leg firmly in this semi-uncomfortable position, push against the stretch but don't let it give, just hold that position...
    -Hold for 6-8secs then release...
    -Take no more than 10secs rest & repeat, but push past the last point(yes, Ouch)...
    -Repeat 6 times, going past the last point each time...
    -I went from 90 to 105 in a few sessions, but of coarse consistency will help maintain your new found flexibility...
    -I do it after any workout(especially leg workouts), so weights or cardio... I'd do it everyday if I could be bothered because 5mins after the slight torment of what is basically over stretching, your limbs feel light & just overall great...
    -It's better with a partner in my opinion simply because they won't let you give in to the pain/burn, but in saying that I'm sure you'll pull through it with the ropes...

I hope that explains it...
  26. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  182 lbs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GWl...e_gdata_player
  27. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  215 lbs.

Br
    As an added side note to ensure a true measure, along side the criteria stated by Zir, when you are doing this you do not want to externally rotate the stationary leg. It will allow for a compensatory increased ROM and skew your results.
  28. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'7"   lbs.

Thanks for all the solid info here
  29. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.

are you training with weights every week?

do a split like
    mon chest and tris
    tues back, traps- do deadlifts here

thures shoulders
    fri legs , and start off with training hammies and put more emphasis on them

exercises there are so many sldl, incline glute ham riases, leg curls of all kinds, heel press on leg press machine
    Follow me on facebook, twitter and youtube, where I share information and videos to help you achieve your physique goals, John Smeton Ftness
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. hamstring and hip opening..
    By JudoJosh in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-30-2010, 11:43 PM
  2. Hamstring injury.
    By pavb10 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-04-2009, 08:46 PM
  3. strained hamstring
    By Necroticism in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-13-2008, 06:15 PM
  4. Hamstring avulsion???
    By pavb10 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-04-2008, 09:01 PM
  5. Tore my Hamstring two days ago. Please help!
    By Irish Cannon in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-24-2007, 02:18 PM