Out Of Air

bomcgraw

bomcgraw

Awards
For the last couple years all my training has been almost nothing but lifting. The occasional sparring match has been my only cardio. Now I'm getting ready to reenlist in the Army and am having a lot of trouble getting my running times down where they need to be. I can run 1 mile in 7:30 without much trouble, but when I run further than a mile my heart and lungs can't seem to keep up. Any suggestions for ways to improve cardio other than running? I'm already runnin every evenin before supper but I'm not progressing fast enough. Thanks for any help.

owlicks

owlicks

Awards
Studies have shown that sprint intervals increase endurance faster than steady running.

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
Studies have shown that sprint intervals increase endurance faster than steady running.
There is a specificity of training. If you want to become a better distance runner, then you must run distance. Physiological variables to manipulate are VO2 and lactate threshold (glycolytic metabolism). Running sprints will elicit more anaerobic training adaptations.

bomcgraw

bomcgraw

Awards
Wouldn't sprint intervals mean a workout like, jog for 1 minute-sprint for 20 seconds, repeat repeat repeat without stopping? Cuz I've been thinking a lot about adding a workout like that to my weekly schedule. It seems like if you alternate like that it would force the body to burn its oxygen faster and improve endurance.

seccsi

seccsi

Awards
  • Established
Give a bit more info. Do you need to be able to run FARTHER? Do you need to be able to run faster? Or both? And what is the maximum distance you need to run?

A little more information would help. For starters I would definitely be using variety in my approach. You have to force your body to adapt, so trying to run one mile over and over again at the same pace isn't the best strategy. Mix some fast days in where you try to run faster for distances (say 800's or 400's). On some days go for longer runs. If you're having trouble getting past a mile start walking. Run the normal mile as you would and when you can't run anymore stop and walk recover. This will allow you to train more than previous days. Don't be afraid to get a few minutes of walk recovery and then try and go for another half mile-mile. Also I would be mindful to make sure you're still getting some type of rest (or at least lighter) days in.

bomcgraw

bomcgraw

Awards
My end goal is 5 miles in under 40 minutes. Before I injured my leg I was right at the 5 in 40 mark and was headed for Ranger school after basic. I don't plan on being able to hit that mark for a long time, but my immediate goal is 2 miles in under 16 minutes. I ran cross country in high school but I never really had to train for distance, it just came naturally. Now, I'm tryin to reenlist in the Army and for the first time in my life, my strength is well above the minimum requirement but my running is not. I can still get back in and finish the training, but I'd like to go in already meeting the final standards and entry standards for other training schools (airborn, ranger, air assault etc). Speed isn't really a concern as far as a 40 meter dash, but I need to be able to run really far really quickly. I'm gonna start mixin it up today, start my run around 8, thats when the temp drops down to around 104 so its nice lol

seccsi

seccsi

Awards
  • Established
My end goal is 5 miles in under 40 minutes. Before I injured my leg I was right at the 5 in 40 mark and was headed for Ranger school after basic. I don't plan on being able to hit that mark for a long time, but my immediate goal is 2 miles in under 16 minutes. I ran cross country in high school but I never really had to train for distance, it just came naturally. Now, I'm tryin to reenlist in the Army and for the first time in my life, my strength is well above the minimum requirement but my running is not. I can still get back in and finish the training, but I'd like to go in already meeting the final standards and entry standards for other training schools (airborn, ranger, air assault etc). Speed isn't really a concern as far as a 40 meter dash, but I need to be able to run really far really quickly. I'm gonna start mixin it up today, start my run around 8, thats when the temp drops down to around 104 so its nice lol
Then I would use a mixture of long runs and fast runs. I disagree with the previous poster about needing to run distance. Yes you need to run distance, but it isn't as if workouts where you focus on speed are going to be detrimental to your goals, in fact I would argue the opposite.

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
Then I would use a mixture of long runs and fast runs. I disagree with the previous poster about needing to run distance. Yes you need to run distance, but it isn't as if workouts where you focus on speed are going to be detrimental to your goals, in fact I would argue the opposite.
Actually, you couldn't be more incorrect. The specificity of training relates to motor programs (motor unit recruitment, discharge rate, synchrony) and glycolytic and oxidative adaptations. Only fibers which are stressed will elicit phenotypic changes associated with glycolytic enzymes (LDH, MCT, etc.), oxidative enzymes (SDH, mitochondrial mass, myoglobin), and myofilament synthesis. It's analogous to comparing apples to oranges. In other words, if you want to be good at something, do that something. The further the task is away from the training task, the less training adaptations carryover.

seccsi

seccsi

Awards
  • Established
Well I can see you're reading directly from your kinesiology book, but we are still in disagreement. He doesn't just want to run far he wants to run far fast. You haven't really given a recommendation other than saying run distance. That's not very helpful. Elite distance runners frequently go shorter distances at a faster pace. If he runs the same distance at the same pace every day he won't ever force adaptation.

It's similar to weight training...when you want to improve your 1RM you don't just train your 1RM and only use sets of 1. If you want to run fast you need to run fast. If you want to run far you need to run far. If you want to run far fast then you better focus on improving your ability to run far and improve your ability to run fast. Look at the programs of elite middle distance runners (which is basically his goal, be a good middle-short long distance runner). They are filled with variety.

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
Well I can see you're reading directly from your kinesiology book, but we are still in disagreement. He doesn't just want to run far he wants to run far fast. You haven't really given a recommendation other than saying run distance. That's not very helpful. Elite distance runners frequently go shorter distances at a faster pace. If he runs the same distance at the same pace every day he won't ever force adaptation.

It's similar to weight training...when you want to improve your 1RM you don't just train your 1RM and only use sets of 1. If you want to run fast you need to run fast. If you want to run far you need to run far. If you want to run far fast then you better focus on improving your ability to run far and improve your ability to run fast. Look at the programs of elite middle distance runners (which is basically his goal, be a good middle-short long distance runner). They are filled with variety.
I never said to run at the same distance nor intensity. Changing either variable will elicit differing adaptations. Stimuli changes are necessary for the expression of any type of phenotypic adaptation (progressive overload). And, I'm not reading from a Kinesiology text book. I'm a PhD student in Exercise Physiology. In your last paragraph you agreed with my previous statement whether you knew it or not.

TheMeatus101

TheMeatus101

Awards
  • Established
Try breathing through a straw everyday, like watching tv, on the computer, breath through a straw. Inhale through your nose, breath out through the straw (not one of the newer ones that are made for fast consumption).

If you dont believe me look it up.

bomcgraw

bomcgraw

Awards
I never said to run at the same distance nor intensity. Changing either variable will elicit differing adaptations. Stimuli changes are necessary for the expression of any type of phenotypic adaptation (progressive overload). And, I'm not reading from a Kinesiology text book. I'm a PhD student in Exercise Physiology. In your last paragraph you agreed with my previous statement whether you knew it or not.
He said to mix it up, you said "you couldn't be more wrong" to train for what you're going for, then said I never said that. I am training for combat. I don't care how I look, or what my scores are against olympic runners, I want to be fit for any situation and the idea of training at both distance and speed at the same time makes a whole lot of sense when you think about the fact that you never know how long a fire fight will last or what you'll have to do for it. I'm gonna mix my training up with distance runs and sprint intervals and based on common sense I bet it works out well. My end goal is to survive anything and everything and keep the people around me alive no matter the challenge.

bomcgraw

bomcgraw

Awards
Try breathing through a straw everyday, like watching tv, on the computer, breath through a straw. Inhale through your nose, breath out through the straw (not one of the newer ones that are made for fast consumption).

If you dont believe me look it up.
Good idea, I've heard a lot about running with a snorkel and I used to run everywhere with my mouthpiece in to be fit for mma so that makes a lot of sense.

TheMeatus101

TheMeatus101

Awards
  • Established
Good idea, I've heard a lot about running with a snorkel and I used to run everywhere with my mouthpiece in to be fit for mma so that makes a lot of sense.
Yea bro, i know a prison buddy of mine, when he was in prison he would jog around the track everyday and ONLY breathe through his nose and out, never breathed through his mouth, once your body gets used to pulling through such a little hole, then when its time to do whatever you were training for, and you breathe through your mouth, it's quite easy.

seccsi

seccsi

Awards
  • Established
Correct, you never really offered anything which is why I think we've been so confused by what you're proposing. You haven't said anything specific. I have a degree in exercise physiology as well. I merely think it would behoove you to explain things a little more clearly. The vast majority of users aren't going to have any idea what you're talking about unless you're specific and speak in a language they understand.

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
He said to mix it up, you said "you couldn't be more wrong" to train for what you're going for, then said I never said that. I am training for combat. I don't care how I look, or what my scores are against olympic runners, I want to be fit for any situation and the idea of training at both distance and speed at the same time makes a whole lot of sense when you think about the fact that you never know how long a fire fight will last or what you'll have to do for it. I'm gonna mix my training up with distance runs and sprint intervals and based on common sense I bet it works out well. My end goal is to survive anything and everything and keep the people around me alive no matter the challenge.
Perhaps I was incorrect in assuming people know about progressive overload. Simply put they are two very different exercise modalities. I think you misunderstood what I said-I said to get better at endurance exercise then do endurance training which has a high degree of crossover to the testing situation. However, this does not mean you should not manipulate distance/intensity parameters.

bomcgraw

bomcgraw

Awards
I've been breathin through a straw while doin stuff around the house for the last week or so and it seems to be helping a lot. During good action movies I get kinda light headed lol

lukehayd

lukehayd

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I found that doing cardio while wearing a respirator works real good because, like the straw, it restricts the amount of air you can take in. Same principal as training at high altitudes. Once you come back down to normal level, your body thrives because it was used to a smaller amount of oxygen and now has abundance.

TurningGreen

TurningGreen

Awards
Check out www.halhigdon.com he's got some good training programs. I used one in the past for a half-marathon...hard work, but effective.

TurningGreen

TurningGreen

Awards
I'm startin his 5K trainin program immiately. Luckily Friday is a rest day lol. But I am gonna do the actual program, not just the rest days.
Awesome, best of luck. The programs are very good...give it HELL