Good for a laugh... deadlifting and using straps - how NOT to do it.

Page 3 of 3 First 123

  1. It is a painful grip to use. But since you wanna not use a mixed grip you gotta do what you gotta do. Layne norton uses a hook grip and pulled 700 at a bw of 220 with it, maybe email him about it? He always replys.


  2. Quote Originally Posted by SweetLou321 View Post
    It is a painful grip to use. But since you wanna not use a mixed grip you gotta do what you gotta do. Layne norton uses a hook grip and pulled 700 at a bw of 220 with it, maybe email him about it? He always replys.
    that guy is something else. A +3xBW Deadlift? Geez... Guess I got my work cut out for me...
    Bulk Performance Solutions
    --No Proprietary Blends, All Performance--

    ***NOW @ NP***
    •   
       


  3. Quote Originally Posted by Resolve View Post
    that guy is something else. A +3xBW Deadlift? Geez... Guess I got my work cut out for me...
    If get a chance check out his powerlifting video series, it has the pull in there at the end.

  4. Ha Thank you for sharing this, I just saw this and made my day! My boyfriend came home the other day telling me this EXACT same thing, so glad he is not the only "idiot" out there. So you know, you are not alone in that either! haha

  5. Quote Originally Posted by Jentry07 View Post
    Ha Thank you for sharing this, I just saw this and made my day! My boyfriend came home the other day telling me this EXACT same thing, so glad he is not the only "idiot" out there. So you know, you are not alone in that either! haha
    Haha!! nice...

    oh and as for the hook grip... dayum that hurts!
    Log of EPIC by FRL - http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/202576-should-epic-frl.html
    •   
       


  6. Glad someone mentioned hook grip here. When the weight gets too heavy instead of straps I always just turn to a hook grip. On deads or any other back exercise. I also use a hook grip regardless on power cleans. I see many guys at the gym do power cleans without a hook grip and after I show them it they are amazed at how much more weight they can clean.

  7. Quote Originally Posted by StangBanger View Post
    Haha!! nice...

    oh and as for the hook grip... dayum that hurts!
    Get some plaster for your thumbs like you see on oly lifters thumbs, and the more you use the grip the less itll hurt.
  8. Good for a laugh... deadlifting and using straps - how NOT to do it.


    Hey friends, thanks for sharing your experience. This is really going
    to help the reader. This is very nice thread. Thanks for sharing.

  9. So I manned up and used a hook grip today for my RDLs. I found that if I really focused on digging my palm into the bar before gripping, my thumb didn't hurt nearly so much. It's definitely a stronger grip than standard overhand, but I still feel like my technique is less than perfect with it. Just need practice.
    Bulk Performance Solutions
    --No Proprietary Blends, All Performance--

    ***NOW @ NP***

  10. I had a trainer (bodybuilder) show me a neat trick with straps, that helps alot especially with things like pull ups. Not sure how to explain it coherently to where it`ll make sense haha but u Sew the the strap part so that the "wrap" part is sewed to the part that it slips through, at a certain length. Then cut the rest of the strap off. If done at the correct length it allows you to not ave to care about the excess strap and u can just kinda curl the little bit u have around the bar for better grip and can let go when ever u want.

    Also I agree, i do a combination of both. I use straps with my later sets, but honestly its more because my hands get slippery from sweat and the gym im at doesn't allow chalk...which blows.

  11. Quote Originally Posted by Resolve View Post
    So I manned up and used a hook grip today for my RDLs. I found that if I really focused on digging my palm into the bar before gripping, my thumb didn't hurt nearly so much. It's definitely a stronger grip than standard overhand, but I still feel like my technique is less than perfect with it. Just need practice.
    Same here. I try to get my middle finger around my thumb as much as possible, then my index finger.

  12. Quote Originally Posted by biomike View Post
    I had a trainer (bodybuilder) show me a neat trick with straps, that helps alot especially with things like pull ups. Not sure how to explain it coherently to where it`ll make sense haha but u Sew the the strap part so that the "wrap" part is sewed to the part that it slips through, at a certain length. Then cut the rest of the strap off. If done at the correct length it allows you to not ave to care about the excess strap and u can just kinda curl the little bit u have around the bar for better grip and can let go when ever u want.

    Also I agree, i do a combination of both. I use straps with my later sets, but honestly its more because my hands get slippery from sweat and the gym im at doesn't allow chalk...which blows.
    Liquid Chalk

  13. Liquid chalk ripped a callous off every time I used it.

  14. Quote Originally Posted by Mafesto31 View Post
    Liquid chalk ripped a callous off every time I used it.
    Ouch! That's the worst. Gotta pumice those things down so that doesn't happen.
    Bulk Performance Solutions
    --No Proprietary Blends, All Performance--

    ***NOW @ NP***
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Deadlifting with Straps- How much more weight?
    By bigzach1234 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-06-2011, 04:42 PM
  2. who wants a good laugh?
    By 10bathroomsO in forum General Chat
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-22-2010, 02:20 PM
  3. Ripped straps, any good ones?
    By Ricky5145 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-31-2010, 06:54 PM
  4. for anyone who wants a good laugh
    By lennoxchi in forum General Chat
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 08-12-2009, 03:49 PM
  5. Have a good laugh
    By Gmonkey in forum General Chat
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-07-2003, 07:32 PM
Log in
Log in