Good for a laugh... deadlifting and using straps - how NOT to do it.

Page 2 of 2 First 12
  1. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.

not trying to build it slowly... I am talking deadlifts only here... I lift without straps but once at a certain weight and above I can only lift with straps on a deadlift with over over. I would only use under/over for a 1 rm without straps. I would rather lift those last 2 sets of higher weight with straps then to not lift em at all or to use the same lighter weight in earlier sets.
    Log of EPIC by FRL - http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/202576-should-epic-frl.html

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  218 lbs.

The bottom line is, use straps so long as your biomechanics are correct. I, personally use straps for deads (being the most important back exercise and compound lift for overall mass I want to capitalize on weight) but I throw the straps back in the bag for Db rows, lat pulls, and the rest of the back workout so I can retain and build forearm and grip strength- a very imperative functional component.
    Suffer now.. and live like a champion later.
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by bezoe View Post
    The bottom line is, use straps so long as your biomechanics are correct. I, personally use straps for deads (being the most important back exercise and compound lift for overall mass I want to capitalize on weight) but I throw the straps back in the bag for Db rows, lat pulls, and the rest of the back workout so I can retain and build forearm and grip strength- a very imperative functional component.
    exactly... same here.
    Log of EPIC by FRL - http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/202576-should-epic-frl.html
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  188 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by StangBanger View Post
    not trying to build it slowly... I am talking deadlifts only here... I lift without straps but once at a certain weight and above I can only lift with straps on a deadlift with over over. I would only use under/over for a 1 rm without straps. I would rather lift those last 2 sets of higher weight with straps then to not lift em at all or to use the same lighter weight in earlier sets.
    Once again ill say this. You wanna do double overhand? Use a hook grip and leave the straps alone.
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  218 lbs.

I dont like mixed grip deads, especially with heavy weight. I feel like it puts too much torque on the radioulnar joint of the supinated forearm. Ive been told that you should rotate your torso to that side some to take the stress off but that seems unecessary and could cause injury elswhere IMO. I prefer prontated grip with both hands and I agree that you should lift without straps until grip is the limiting factor then use them.

What exactly do you mean by hook grip?
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.

I like double overhand, as I use the deadlift to increase my olympic lifts.

Hook grip is great, especially if you have large hands and long fingers (I'm an ape).

http://doubleyourgains.com/why-i-dea...you-should-too

Br
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by SweetLou321 View Post
    Once again ill say this. You wanna do double overhand? Use a hook grip and leave the straps alone.
    Im deadlifting today and I will give the hook grip a shot!!! thanks.. learn something everyday.
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  218 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED View Post

Hook grip is great, especially if you have large hands and long fingers (I'm an ape).

Br
    Very interesting im gonna try this next time i dead also. There were some good points made in that article that i agree with about staggered/mixed grip causing problems
  9. The BPS Rep
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    6'4"  280 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED View Post

Br
    Chrome's giving me a malware warning for that link, Zir, you sure that site is cool?

I have yet to figure out how to use a hook grip without it hurting my thumbs like crazy. I keep trying though...
    Bulk Performance Solutions
    --No Proprietary Blends, All Performance--

***NOW @ NP***
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Resolve View Post
    Chrome's giving me a malware warning for that link, Zir, you sure that site is cool?

I have yet to figure out how to use a hook grip without it hurting my thumbs like crazy. I keep trying though...
    I actually got one too. the article on the site is good, as is the description. I found via a google image search when i was looking for soemthing to include as a hookgrip demo

Br
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  188 lbs.

It is a painful grip to use. But since you wanna not use a mixed grip you gotta do what you gotta do. Layne norton uses a hook grip and pulled 700 at a bw of 220 with it, maybe email him about it? He always replys.
  12. The BPS Rep
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    6'4"  280 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by SweetLou321 View Post
    It is a painful grip to use. But since you wanna not use a mixed grip you gotta do what you gotta do. Layne norton uses a hook grip and pulled 700 at a bw of 220 with it, maybe email him about it? He always replys.
    that guy is something else. A +3xBW Deadlift? Geez... Guess I got my work cut out for me...

***NOW @ NP***
  13. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  188 lbs.

that guy is something else. A +3xBW Deadlift? Geez... Guess I got my work cut out for me...
    If get a chance check out his powerlifting video series, it has the pull in there at the end.
  14. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  120 lbs.

Ha Thank you for sharing this, I just saw this and made my day! My boyfriend came home the other day telling me this EXACT same thing, so glad he is not the only "idiot" out there. So you know, you are not alone in that either! haha
  15. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jentry07 View Post
    Ha Thank you for sharing this, I just saw this and made my day! My boyfriend came home the other day telling me this EXACT same thing, so glad he is not the only "idiot" out there. So you know, you are not alone in that either! haha
    Haha!! nice...

oh and as for the hook grip... dayum that hurts!
  16. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  250 lbs.

Glad someone mentioned hook grip here. When the weight gets too heavy instead of straps I always just turn to a hook grip. On deads or any other back exercise. I also use a hook grip regardless on power cleans. I see many guys at the gym do power cleans without a hook grip and after I show them it they are amazed at how much more weight they can clean.
  17. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  188 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by StangBanger View Post
    Haha!! nice...

oh and as for the hook grip... dayum that hurts!
    Get some plaster for your thumbs like you see on oly lifters thumbs, and the more you use the grip the less itll hurt.
  18. Registered User
    Stats
    5'2"  49 lbs.

Good for a laugh... deadlifting and using straps - how NOT to do it.

Hey friends, thanks for sharing your experience. This is really going
    to help the reader. This is very nice thread. Thanks for sharing.
  19. The BPS Rep
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    6'4"  280 lbs.

So I manned up and used a hook grip today for my RDLs. I found that if I really focused on digging my palm into the bar before gripping, my thumb didn't hurt nearly so much. It's definitely a stronger grip than standard overhand, but I still feel like my technique is less than perfect with it. Just need practice.

***NOW @ NP***
  20. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  180 lbs.

I had a trainer (bodybuilder) show me a neat trick with straps, that helps alot especially with things like pull ups. Not sure how to explain it coherently to where it`ll make sense haha but u Sew the the strap part so that the "wrap" part is sewed to the part that it slips through, at a certain length. Then cut the rest of the strap off. If done at the correct length it allows you to not ave to care about the excess strap and u can just kinda curl the little bit u have around the bar for better grip and can let go when ever u want.

Also I agree, i do a combination of both. I use straps with my later sets, but honestly its more because my hands get slippery from sweat and the gym im at doesn't allow chalk...which blows.
  21. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  188 lbs.

So I manned up and used a hook grip today for my RDLs. I found that if I really focused on digging my palm into the bar before gripping, my thumb didn't hurt nearly so much. It's definitely a stronger grip than standard overhand, but I still feel like my technique is less than perfect with it. Just need practice.
    Same here. I try to get my middle finger around my thumb as much as possible, then my index finger.
  22. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  188 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by biomike View Post
    I had a trainer (bodybuilder) show me a neat trick with straps, that helps alot especially with things like pull ups. Not sure how to explain it coherently to where it`ll make sense haha but u Sew the the strap part so that the "wrap" part is sewed to the part that it slips through, at a certain length. Then cut the rest of the strap off. If done at the correct length it allows you to not ave to care about the excess strap and u can just kinda curl the little bit u have around the bar for better grip and can let go when ever u want.

Also I agree, i do a combination of both. I use straps with my later sets, but honestly its more because my hands get slippery from sweat and the gym im at doesn't allow chalk...which blows.
    Liquid Chalk
  23. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  232 lbs.

Liquid chalk ripped a callous off every time I used it.
  24. The BPS Rep
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    6'4"  280 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mafesto31 View Post
    Liquid chalk ripped a callous off every time I used it.
    Ouch! That's the worst. Gotta pumice those things down so that doesn't happen.

***NOW @ NP***
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Deadlifting with Straps- How much more weight?
    By bigzach1234 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-06-2011, 03:42 PM
  2. who wants a good laugh?
    By 10bathroomsO in forum General Chat
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-22-2010, 01:20 PM
  3. Ripped straps, any good ones?
    By Ricky5145 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-31-2010, 05:54 PM
  4. for anyone who wants a good laugh