Good for a laugh... deadlifting and using straps - how NOT to do it.

StangBanger

StangBanger

Awards
Ok, I am seriously an idiot some times...

I have been wondering why using straps does not help me whatsoever when deadlifting. You would *think* that they are idiot proof... well let me introduce you to an idiot - ME!

I was wrapping OVER the bar not under and lets just say it doesnt work that way.

So... thank you for my biggest idiot award.

Feels good to increase your weight by just by figuring out common sense!

Blergs

Blergs

Awards
  • Established
atleast you didn't die.......... lol

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
All the more reason not to use straps.

SizeUp

Awards
probably happened to more than would care to admit :) funny tho

Insidious1

Awards
  • Established
All the more reason not to use straps.
HHmm.... I've followed a lot of your posts and you seem incredibly knowledgable... But would you care to explain the above...?

My theory behind it is... If my back (the only muscle group i use straps for) can physically maintain and perform the given weight (heavy)... but my hands and perhaps forarms are fatigued... why sacrifice what could be a great back workout merely base on the fact that i dont want to use straps...? Also... In my humble, yet not quite as knoweldgable opinion, lol I find that straps help you focus on your form better and eliminate the incorporation of other body parts that you do not intend to work out (i.e. biceps on a lat pull down).

Now i agree that straps are FAR overused... and i dont use them until the weight finally gets heavy enough to warrant the need.... BUT i'm interested to know the reasoning why you (and many others i know) opt to NOT use straps when it would and does clearly assist in proper workout....

Thanks in advance for your input.

Oh... and to the OP... i was working out with a buddy just two days ago and he was doing the same exact thing! LOL Its more common than most realize! LOL

JajaNe20

JajaNe20

Awards
  • Established
^ x 2, I completely agree every time that if my grip is my limiting factor; then i use straps. No use deadlifting 350 pounds when you can deadlift 550 with straps.

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Nah, I agree with Zir, strengthen those hands. If you can pull 500 with straps but only 350 without 'em, that's a serious deficiency in your hand/forearm strength that needs to be rectified.

JajaNe20

JajaNe20

Awards
  • Established
Nah, I agree with Zir, strengthen those hands. If you can pull 500 with straps but only 350 without 'em, that's a serious deficiency in your hand/forearm strength that needs to be rectified.
That's from your standpoint. Oh and yah thqats with a pronated grip not with an over and under grip. Forearms don't win bodybuilding shows, however big hams and backs do ;). I believe it's all relative to your goals

Dwick

Dwick

Awards
I went six months of suffering through double-overhand in the offseason for this same reason... Now I go under the bar and love my straps, lol.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
HHmm.... I've followed a lot of your posts and you seem incredibly knowledgable... But would you care to explain the above...?

My theory behind it is... If my back (the only muscle group i use straps for) can physically maintain and perform the given weight (heavy)... but my hands and perhaps forarms are fatigued... why sacrifice what could be a great back workout merely base on the fact that i dont want to use straps...? Also... In my humble, yet not quite as knoweldgable opinion, lol I find that straps help you focus on your form better and eliminate the incorporation of other body parts that you do not intend to work out (i.e. biceps on a lat pull down).

Now i agree that straps are FAR overused... and i dont use them until the weight finally gets heavy enough to warrant the need.... BUT i'm interested to know the reasoning why you (and many others i know) opt to NOT use straps when it would and does clearly assist in proper workout....

Thanks in advance for your input.

Oh... and to the OP... i was working out with a buddy just two days ago and he was doing the same exact thing! LOL Its more common than most realize! LOL
For people who started their lifting career without straps and then switch to them what is normally seen is a loss of form. Often times the grip is equal to the strength of the primary movers of that exercise. Deadlifts are performed with a rounded back, rows are not with a full ROM, shrugs become a hip thrust, etc. Thus, its important to be very cognizant of technique when training with straps - which most gym rats and bodybuilders are not. In addition, the biceps have no connection to the hand, and whether you use straps or not, your biceps are going to be worked on pulling movements.

Second, straps are very non-functional. As an athlete (someone who is not judged simply on physique) everything done outside of the gym requires grip strength and hand muscle coordination. Athletes require strong hands for any sport - football, basketball, track, wrestling, swimming, etc.

In everyday life, grip is essential. When the grip fails lifting an object, compensation occurs usually in the form of spinal flexion, and this either causes injury or leads to a degeneration of disks which will eventually result in injury.

That's my take on straps. Most do not actually need them, and those who use them often use them incorrectly.

Br

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
lol, nice story bro. It's actually not all that uncommon for most people to not understand how to wrap the wraps around the bar properly. I think over the bar is the first instinct. But the rule of thumb is that you always wrap in the OPPOSITE direction that your fingers wrap around the bar. This means if you are using an under hand grip you actually would wrap over the bar. Keep this rule of thumb in mind for when you use wraps with DB's as well, as sometimes looking at a weight sideways as opposed to longways right in front of you can confuse you on which direction you need to wrap it.

JajaNe20

JajaNe20

Awards
  • Established
For people who started their lifting career without straps and then switch to them what is normally seen is a loss of form. Often times the grip is equal to the strength of the primary movers of that exercise. Deadlifts are performed with a rounded back, rows are not with a full ROM, shrugs become a hip thrust, etc. Thus, its important to be very cognizant of technique when training with straps - which most gym rats and bodybuilders are not. In addition, the biceps have no connection to the hand, and whether you use straps or not, your biceps are going to be worked on pulling movements.

Second, straps are very non-functional. As an athlete (someone who is not judged simply on physique) everything done outside of the gym requires grip strength and hand muscle coordination. Athletes require strong hands for any sport - football, basketball, track, wrestling, swimming, etc.

In everyday life, grip is essential. When the grip fails lifting an object, compensation occurs usually in the form of spinal flexion, and this either causes injury or leads to a degeneration of disks which will eventually result in injury.

That's my take on straps. Most do not actually need them, and those who use them often use them incorrectly.

Br
Well your opinon is just that, your opinion. You have valid points, but I think I have enough grip strength as I stated in an early post. Also that is a very close minded statement "That's my take on straps. Most do not actually need them, and those who use them often use them incorrectly." I see what your getting at, but if you have good form and know what your doing STRAPS = win everytime. This is my opinion based on 8+ years of hard training (for a sport) and for physique wise. It's all personal preference, people who compensate with straps and do bad form are hurting themselves.

Insidious1

Awards
  • Established
Valid argument! Though i would say that deficit is an extreme...
For people who started their lifting career without straps and then switch to them what is normally seen is a loss of form. Often times the grip is equal to the strength of the primary movers of that exercise. Deadlifts are performed with a rounded back, rows are not with a full ROM, shrugs become a hip thrust, etc. Thus, its important to be very cognizant of technique when training with straps - which most gym rats and bodybuilders are not. In addition, the biceps have no connection to the hand, and whether you use straps or not, your biceps are going to be worked on pulling movements.Second, straps are very non-functional. As an athlete (someone who is not judged simply on physique) everything done outside of the gym requires grip strength and hand muscle coordination. Athletes require strong hands for any sport - football, basketball, track, wrestling, swimming, etc.In everyday life, grip is essential. When the grip fails lifting an object, compensation occurs usually in the form of spinal flexion, and this either causes injury or leads to a degeneration of disks which will eventually result in injury.That's my take on straps. Most do not actually need them, and those who use them often use them incorrectly. Br
I respect that approach and mindset to training! I know many who just like to sound tough and go with the "screw the straps! Those are for p**sies!"... yet they do the do the exercise without proper form and lack technique! I believe from your posts that you don't fall in that category by any means... But I am all for new "technologies" that offer some sort of advantage (without the sales hype! LOL). In this case... and like someone mentioned earlier... i ONLY tend to use them when grip starts to fail or weight exceeds grip. Lets face it.... we've all gone to do an overhand deadlift without straps, and have to occassionally set it down or regrip due to either grip fatigue or poor grip placement... both problems are eliminated when you incorporate the use of straps. I can see what you mean about biceps too... but atleast for me (and perhaps its placebo/mental)... when i strap up to a lat pull down machine.. i imagine my hands are apart of the bar...and that my elbows are spikes that i have to drive into the ground. It sounds cheesy... but the mental-muscle connection is important and FOR ME.... the use of straps helps in that bc i'm not concerned about losing my grip. I will agree that grip is important in "real world" situations, more so than a good clean and press or compound movement. We use our grip more than anything, and why NOT improve it!?! BUT... for what its worth in my opinion, i dont plan on neglecting a good back workout due to a less-than-great grip strength. BUT... will concede that i should improve my grip strength anyways...

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
For strict bodybuilding purposes, straps can have their place. But if training for strength, you're really selling yourself short.

Additionally, I can't get my air then "drop'n'pop" on my deads if I to use straps.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Well your opinon is just that, your opinion. You have valid points, but I think I have enough grip strength as I stated in an early post. Also that is a very close minded statement "That's my take on straps. Most do not actually need them, and those who use them often use them incorrectly." I see what your getting at, but if you have good form and know what your doing STRAPS = win everytime. This is my opinion based on 8+ years of hard training (for a sport) and for physique wise. It's all personal preference, people who compensate with straps and do bad form are hurting themselves.
Sorry, I left the caveat "...most who use them...."

You're right, that is my opinion, but it is based on more than n=1 hard training. It is based on working as a professional in the fitness, bodybuilding, and strength and conditioning field for nearly 8 years. In training for athletic performance, you'll be hard pressed to find any strength coach who advises (or even allows for that matter) his/her clients/teams to use straps.

I'll concede straps may have their purpose when training for competitive bodybuilding purposes.

With regard to dead lifts...
Dead lifts are a hip dominated exercise, and when done correctly require you to reset the hips and grip between reps. Very few people without some form professional instruction do dead lifts correctly or safely. Rounding the back on dead lifts won't normally result in an acute injury, but years of doing some results disk degeneration and possible herneation and/or rupture.

Br

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
If your doing a double overhand just switch to a hook grips and drop the straps.
And zir. Are you saying that in order to do reps on deadlifts one should stand up and approach each rep as its own set? bc i always reset my hips and do a dead stop but wasnt aware of completely restarting for each rep.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
If your doing a double overhand just switch to a hook grips and drop the straps.
And zir. Are you saying that in order to do reps on deadlifts one should stand up and approach each rep as its own set? bc i always reset my hips and do a dead stop but wasnt aware of completely restarting for each rep.
You don't have to stand up between each rep, although with heavier sets I prefer to.

However, you should regrip and reset hips, shoulder blades, and lower back. All too often I see people tapping the bar off the floor between reps, and the result is very negative indeed - hips elevate before shoulders, back round, and it becomes a dynamic spinal extension exercise versus a fixed spine hip extension movement.

Br

EDIT: No straps

Arnold_deadlift-294x300.jpg

SizeUp

Awards
Good stuff here! and a civil debate i like that! I def agree for sports other than bodybuilding you prob should stay away from the straps... but as a bodybuilder myself i do use them on my back days, but only on certain movements. But even in bodybuilding there are pros that opt not to use straps.. i haven't seen kai greene use them in any video but there are guys like Jay and Ronnie that always do.. all three had great backs.. I think you have to look at ultimately what's working for you as an individual.

Dwick

Dwick

Awards
I used to hate straps, until I realized my weak point was my thoracic lumbar area not my grip and working both sides of that area equally without a staggered grip takes precedence over chalking up every time.

StangBanger

StangBanger

Awards
Well... I only use straps when I have to on a deadlift. I prefer double overhand and after 295lb I put the straps on or I would not be able to lift over 300... now with straps I am pulling 400lbs... so I would be leaving 100lbs on the table without straps... sure I can over/under but I would rather double over.

JajaNe20

JajaNe20

Awards
  • Established
You don't have to stand up between each rep, although with heavier sets I prefer to.

However, you should regrip and reset hips, shoulder blades, and lower back. All too often I see people tapping the bar off the floor between reps, and the result is very negative indeed - hips elevate before shoulders, back round, and it becomes a dynamic spinal extension exercise versus a fixed spine hip extension movement.

Br

View attachment 43989
LoL really you had to go there with the edit wow.

Last edited:
Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Well... I only use straps when I have to on a deadlift. I prefer double overhand and after 295lb I put the straps on or I would not be able to lift over 300... now with straps I am pulling 400lbs... so I would be leaving 100lbs on the table without straps... sure I can over/under but I would rather double over.
You're not really leaving 100lb on the table without straps, you're lifting a maximal load that your entire body as a unit can handle. Do you try to progress the load you can handle without straps before using them?

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
LoL really you had to go there with the edit wow.
Haha..i'm teaching the muscular system this week in human bio and was looking for an old school pic of arnold as a cover page in my power point. Then I saw that and was like...yes i should!

JajaNe20

JajaNe20

Awards
  • Established
Haha..i'm teaching the muscular system this week in human bio and was looking for an old school pic of arnold as a cover page in my power point. Then I saw that and was like...yes i should!
Okay you can slide on this one for you had a valid reason! haha

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established

Br

View attachment 43989
Quoted for truth and have been guilty of myself in the past.

StangBanger

StangBanger

Awards
You're not really leaving 100lb on the table without straps, you're lifting a maximal load that your entire body as a unit can handle. Do you try to progress the load you can handle without straps before using them?
Oh yes... dont get me wrong, I go as heavy as I can without straps before I use them... so slowly but surely my no strap weight is increasing. I just feel like I am missing out by not doing the sets with the straps.

Teddy21

Awards
I used to use straps until I watched Andy Bolton dead 1000+ pounds without them. After a while I was able to pull my 1RM without them.

Just like any weakness in form or strength, be persistent in training and practicing it and it will become a strength, straps are just a short cut.

Insidious1

Awards
  • Established
LOL.. GREAT pic... And as soon as i saw it, i was like "damn! no straps.... " But perhaps they didnt have straps back then... I wasn't even born when that picture was taken, but i'm gonna play "devil's advocate" and say that he wasn't wearing straps because they werent around! LOL :stick:

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
LOL.. GREAT pic... And as soon as i saw it, i was like "damn! no straps.... " But perhaps they didnt have straps back then... I wasn't even born when that picture was taken, but i'm gonna play "devil's advocate" and say that he wasn't wearing straps because they werent around! LOL :stick:
Well, if Arnold didn't need 'em, neither do you. :poke:

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well, if Arnold didn't need 'em, neither do you. :poke:
Lol, what's with the new avi Nick? I feel like that whe I think bout pizza.

Maybe had Arnold had access to straps, Frank Zane wouldn't have beat him :poke:

Mafesto31

Awards
I think straps are only good for multiple reps. A 1rm u should be able to handle with ur own grip strength(over under grip). I can pull 530 once without straps and barely hang on. No way could I do another rep, but with straps it would be no prob. I feel like I'm cheating but Damn it does pay off.

jaycuda

jaycuda

Awards
  • Established
Hey Zir, I usually deadlift with a double overhand grip since I'm doing it to help with my clean pull. My deadlift is about 50 lbs lighter with out straps, so whenever I'm doing sets of 3 or less I use straps. Do you think I should keep using straps like this or no?

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
If you are doing it to benefit your clean pull, then don't use straps. I think you should work to improve your grip strength so it matches your deadlift strength.

Br

TateFTW

TateFTW

Awards
I've always operated under the belief that you'll only get stronger if you address your weaknesses. Avoiding them isn't going to help you get any better. If the limiting factor in your bench is your inability to keep your shoudler blades retracted, then You'd do face pulls and rows. This isn't any different. If the limiting factor in your dead lifts is your grip, then why would you avoid making it stronger? The best thing you can do for your grip is to hold heavy stuff. The best way to hold heavy stuff is it do dead lifts with no straps. I guess I don't understand making a change that's going to actually keep a weakness from getting better.

I used to use straps when I did back stuff, to help me learn to take my arms out of the movements, but I fazed them out and now when I try to use them I find I have trouble moving the same weight. I believe this is because I was using too much arm before because they were stronger than my back muscles. My back muscles were the limiting factor in my lifts, so my arms were taking over. Straps didn't help. Doing rows helped, because the weakest muscles HAD to get stronger, since they were working the hardest on the movements.

If you've experimented both with and without straps and know how to use them on certain exercises for your specific goals, then that's another thing, but everyone should try everything without them so they know how they'll react.

As for the argument that bodybuilders can use them, I don't buy that. Get stronger and you'll build more muscle. That means building up your weaknesses just like a strength athlete. If you want an excuse to use straps because it lets you pull more and look cooler then go for it, but don't try to convince me that keeping part of you weak is making another part stronger.

StangBanger

StangBanger

Awards
well if you see, I lift without them for as much as I can and only use them when I want to rep beyond my grip strength... slowly but surely my grip strength is improving so I see no reason to not use them on my last 1 or 2 heaviest sets.

TateFTW

TateFTW

Awards
I'm not sure why you want to build your grip slowly. How much faster would it catch up if you gave it the stimulus by dropping the straps?

That being said, I'm sure you have a plan about how to use straps for your goals, which would put you in the category of the third paragraph in my other post;

"If you've experimented both with and without straps and know how to use them on certain exercises for your specific goals, then that's another thing, but everyone should try everything without them so they know how they'll react."

StangBanger

StangBanger

Awards
not trying to build it slowly... I am talking deadlifts only here... I lift without straps but once at a certain weight and above I can only lift with straps on a deadlift with over over. I would only use under/over for a 1 rm without straps. I would rather lift those last 2 sets of higher weight with straps then to not lift em at all or to use the same lighter weight in earlier sets.

bezoe

bezoe

Awards
  • Established
The bottom line is, use straps so long as your biomechanics are correct. I, personally use straps for deads (being the most important back exercise and compound lift for overall mass I want to capitalize on weight) but I throw the straps back in the bag for Db rows, lat pulls, and the rest of the back workout so I can retain and build forearm and grip strength- a very imperative functional component.

StangBanger

StangBanger

Awards
The bottom line is, use straps so long as your biomechanics are correct. I, personally use straps for deads (being the most important back exercise and compound lift for overall mass I want to capitalize on weight) but I throw the straps back in the bag for Db rows, lat pulls, and the rest of the back workout so I can retain and build forearm and grip strength- a very imperative functional component.
exactly... same here.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
not trying to build it slowly... I am talking deadlifts only here... I lift without straps but once at a certain weight and above I can only lift with straps on a deadlift with over over. I would only use under/over for a 1 rm without straps. I would rather lift those last 2 sets of higher weight with straps then to not lift em at all or to use the same lighter weight in earlier sets.
Once again ill say this. You wanna do double overhand? Use a hook grip and leave the straps alone.

bezoe

bezoe

Awards
  • Established
I dont like mixed grip deads, especially with heavy weight. I feel like it puts too much torque on the radioulnar joint of the supinated forearm. Ive been told that you should rotate your torso to that side some to take the stress off but that seems unecessary and could cause injury elswhere IMO. I prefer prontated grip with both hands and I agree that you should lift without straps until grip is the limiting factor then use them.

What exactly do you mean by hook grip?

StangBanger

StangBanger

Awards
Once again ill say this. You wanna do double overhand? Use a hook grip and leave the straps alone.
Im deadlifting today and I will give the hook grip a shot!!! thanks.. learn something everyday.

bezoe

bezoe

Awards
  • Established
Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Chrome's giving me a malware warning for that link, Zir, you sure that site is cool?

I have yet to figure out how to use a hook grip without it hurting my thumbs like crazy. I keep trying though...
I actually got one too. the article on the site is good, as is the description. I found via a google image search when i was looking for soemthing to include as a hookgrip demo

Br