Is this a big deal? (Squat form question)

taman6886

taman6886

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I know when one squats, most people take a grip just outside their shoulders. I find it more comfortable to "spread my wings" as I put it, stretching out my arms and gripping just inside the bar's collar. Despite this, I still am pulling my scapula back and forming a good "shelf" and leaning forward has never been an issue for me. The only drawback I have seen is sometimes I pinch the webbing of my thumb when I re-rack if I am not careful. I know this is not "technically perfect" form, but is it at least "permissable"?

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
i grip the bar pretty wide so the bar can sit lower on my back

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Grip width is not a big issue as long as the traps stay tight.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I know when one squats, most people take a grip just outside their shoulders. I find it more comfortable to "spread my wings" as I put it, stretching out my arms and gripping just inside the bar's collar. Despite this, I still am pulling my scapula back and forming a good "shelf" and leaning forward has never been an issue for me. The only drawback I have seen is sometimes I pinch the webbing of my thumb when I re-rack if I am not careful. I know this is not "technically perfect" form, but is it at least "permissable"?
This is totally acceptable. You do what you feel is comfortable. Many like to grip it pretty close because it helps them keep a really tight upper back, such as myself. Others, including you, can do it with a wider grip and that's totally fine.

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
I have a similar problem on squat racks. I just open my hands when racking the bar.

taman6886

taman6886

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thanks for your input all. Much appreciated.

JoshDP

Awards
I personally like to grip it as narrow as I possibly could as I feel this keeps my traps tighter, but as long as your traps are tight, grip wherever you want. Good video posted the other day by Dave Tate on squat form on a different site. (New on this site so don't know if admins here would appreciate me posting the name of the other site)

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
whatever works for you and keeps you in the groove

jumpshot903

jumpshot903

Awards
  • Established
Everyone has different variations and as long as your staying injury free and developing your legs there really shouldn't be a problem i usually grip a little wider then shoulders width, i haven't actually seen anyone use this technique and just thinking about it seems kinda hard so all the power to you for doing it : P

taman6886

taman6886

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Everyone has different variations and as long as your staying injury free and developing your legs there really shouldn't be a problem i usually grip a little wider then shoulders width, i haven't actually seen anyone use this technique and just thinking about it seems kinda hard so all the power to you for doing it : P
It is just more comfortable for me with this variation. Not sure why, just is.