Shin Pain when Jogging?

TheMeatus101

TheMeatus101

Awards
  • Established
So, did my cardio earlier (jogging) and felt a slight pain in my shins, did a little research and came up with a couple answers, one is that it may be the type of ground im jogging on, i jogg on gravel, so maybe need to find a new location where its mostly grass, second was the footwear, i wear Nike Air Maxes, not because i thought they would be good for jogging, but thats just the shoe i wear and have worn for 6-7 months.

I dont want to change location because where i jogg there is a nice lake right beside it, and im ALWAYS the only one there, its kind of a un-known place. And im pretty sure my shoes are fine, i will go to the extent of buying new ones if i have to though.

So basically what im asking is some ways to maybe relieve pain, some stretches, different things to help the shin heal after a jogg, really anything you guys personally do/use. Thanks Er'-body.

Colochine

Colochine

Awards
  • Established
Get some k-swiss tubes if you decide to go for new shoes. Best shoes I've ever had. Feels like you're running on the moon.

warsteiner

Awards
  • Established
Have a check on running sites and find out what type of running style your Air Maxes are (stable, motion-control or cushioned). Then take a look at http://www.runnersworld.ltd.uk/foottype.htm and workout the type of shoe you need. If the Nike's match your running style then the shoe isn't the problem. I had a similar problem but after changing shoes the shin pain disappeared.

Some 'good' sport shoe places (and maybe gyms?) will also have treadmills with video cameras hooked up so you can analyse your running style.

gav86

Awards
  • Established
same thing happens to me and i get theses 2 massive bubbles forming under my skin on each shin that look like there filled with fluid. any ideas?

Mrodz

Mrodz

Awards
  • Established
Well I don't know about the bubbles gav but to the op I used to get these pains really bad too, never did change my sneaks and the pain went away bit by bit as I got into running more. Just sort of eased into it. I always stretched afterwards to relieve some of the knotting. When I changed to a flatter running shoe I sort of had the same problem again but with the bottom of my foot, and that too went away with practice.
That trail sounds really nice don't give it up :)
I'm looking to get new sneaks, thats a great link warsteiner thnx

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Strengthen your anterior tibialis muscles first.

Second, relearn how to run: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3Nt4WgQed8 The music is a bit annoying, but the instruction is great.

Finally, get a pair of running sneakers that fit. Find a running shop around that will assess your gait and stride. Personally, I have taught myself to run like in the video, and I prefer a pair of minimalist running sneakers. Sauconey kinivara's are my road runners of choice, but most of the popular brands all make a decent running sneaker with minimal heel drop.

Br

bomcgraw

bomcgraw

Awards
The first thing they taught us in infantry training was that our feet are the single most important thing to us, more so than any weapon or armor or anything else cuz if your feet arent cared for, you're a sitting duck. If you haven't run much in the past then it probably is just your muscles and you should rotate ice and heat after your runs, but you deffinitely need new shoes. Regardless of wether or not they are the right type, if you've been wearing them for 6-7 months they have too many miles on them. They are still fine for daily wear, but a running shoe used only during your training will help your legs a lot. Worst case scenario, you developed tiny stress fractures (shin splints), and should slow the pace and frequency of your runs for about 8 weeks. Thats probly not what it is tho since you run on a soft surface like gravel, excellent choice (concrete causes injuries).

HondaV65

HondaV65

Awards
  • Established
Good Shoes can help - though "good" doesn't necessarily mean "expensive". My legs feel best when they are using a pair of Sketcher's running shoes - $15.00 at a sporting good store.

Soft track will help too.

Shin splints - I get 'em all the time. Not everyone can be a runner. In my case - they kept coming back no matter what I did. Eventually moved to a treadmill - and they continued to get worse. Moved to rowing machines and eliptical trainers after that.

Just got back from 1 month in the Arctic - and the only thing they had up there was a treadmill and a broken down stationary bike. No contest - I went back to the treadmill afer quittin it in 2004. So seven years without running. Took it very easy at first - but mnaaged to get back into it fine.

bomcgraw

bomcgraw

Awards
Good Shoes can help - though "good" doesn't necessarily mean "expensive". My legs feel best when they are using a pair of Sketcher's running shoes - $15.00 at a sporting good store.

Really good point. I started basic training with a 50-60 dollar pair of Asics and after about a week and a half the bottoms of my feet were purple and black. One of my drill sgts brought me a pair of $20 New Balances and the bruising went away and my feet felt fine.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Strengthen your anterior tibialis muscles first.

Second, relearn how to run: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3Nt4WgQed8 The music is a bit annoying, but the instruction is great.

Finally, get a pair of running sneakers that fit. Find a running shop around that will assess your gait and stride. Personally, I have taught myself to run like in the video, and I prefer a pair of minimalist running sneakers. Sauconey kinivara's are my road runners of choice, but most of the popular brands all make a decent running sneaker with minimal heel drop.

Br

Very good info as always.

I myself have had to focus on running technique and have had to buy new shoes after just buying a new pair, twice! because they ended not being right for me.

Other considerations is that you may be increasing your milage/time too much too fast. Try not to increase your milage/time by more than 10-15% each week. If you do have the pain, take an extra day off and rest.

TurningGreen

TurningGreen

Awards
This may not be for everyone, but this worked for me. I am big (around 210) not built like a runner. I tried many many pairs of sneakers, and I ended up wearing Brooks Beast for a couple of years. Even wearing these I would experience major shin and foot pain to the point of where I just threw in the towel on running. A few months ago I tried some barefoot (minimalist running shoes) and the pain was instantly and completely gone. My foot strike has changed from a pounding heal to a comfortable mid-foot strike. It takes a bit of getting used to as your calf muscle becomes the shock absorber and not the huge bulky heal on the standard running shoe. My body adjusted to this new style of running I can honestly say that I will never run in a conventional running shoe again. Again this worked for me and may not work for every one. This is strictly my opinion. Good luck.

bomcgraw

bomcgraw

Awards
This may not be for everyone, but this worked for me. I am big (around 210) not built like a runner. I tried many many pairs of sneakers, and I ended up wearing Brooks Beast for a couple of years. Even wearing these I would experience major shin and foot pain to the point of where I just threw in the towel on running. A few months ago I tried some barefoot (minimalist running shoes) and the pain was instantly and completely gone. My foot strike has changed from a pounding heal to a comfortable mid-foot strike. It takes a bit of getting used to as your calf muscle becomes the shock absorber and not the huge bulky heal on the standard running shoe. My body adjusted to this new style of running I can honestly say that I will never run in a conventional running shoe again. Again this worked for me and may not work for every one. This is strictly my opinion. Good luck.
I've heard a lot of great things about the minimalist running shoes. I've also been told a lot to never run like that unless its in sand or some other extremely soft surface because it will cause your arches to collapse. I'd like to try it though and see how it feels.

mich29

mich29

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
great advice in this thread.this brings back memories of track

TurningGreen

TurningGreen

Awards
I've heard a lot of great things about the minimalist running shoes. I've also been told a lot to never run like that unless its in sand or some other extremely soft surface because it will cause your arches to collapse. I'd like to try it though and see how it feels.
So far so good for my feet bro. I actually feel like Im more agile and ligter on my feet...like some Chris Angel levitation fugg yeah!...mind freak

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Exactly. Heavy heel strike is suicide on the joints of the body. Shorter stride, faster turn over, and keeping your feet underneath your body is important.

For people curious about the difference in strike, check out the video I posted earlier.

Br

Also, love my minimalist running shoes.

Bringwar

Bringwar

Awards
same thing happens to me and i get theses 2 massive bubbles forming under my skin on each shin that look like there filled with fluid. any ideas?
The same thing happens to me when i do cardio or workout calves. I get 2 bubble like things in the same spot on both my shins and i have no clue what they are. I think i walk wrong o something cuz i get mad pain in my shins when i walk as opossed to runing.

TheMeatus101

TheMeatus101

Awards
  • Established
That vid was helpful all you bishes, so check it out!!!

bezoe

bezoe

Awards
  • Established
I did a presentation on minimalist shoes to a group of physical therapists a couple months ago. These are the benefits:
1. Increases the intrinsic muscle strength of the feet

2. Increases lower extremity proprioception- thus increasing balance, by allowing the foot to feel everything under it

3. Decreases impact on ankle, knee, and hip joints by promoting the "shock setting mechanism" (the body's way of altering gait mechanics to decrease amount of force placed on lower extremity joints). Basically this means when you are wearing these shoes and have little cushion under the heel, it causes you to walk moreso on your forefoot to decrease impact. This, in turn places less stress on your knee and hip joints over time.

HOWEVER, one should not jump right into these shoes! If youve been wearing high arch, stability shoes for years, your plantar aponeurosis is not acclimated to the amount of stress you will be putting on it by wearing these. Plantar fascsitis is a bitch. The studies I looked at recommended a 10% a week transition to these shoes.

Shin pain = "shin splints" = Compartment syndrome. Interstitial fluid and inflammation build up under the anterior fascia and cause compression on nerves. Stretching the area, foam rollers, and ice are good treatments. Also, do not overdo it.. when the area flares up cut back.

chrisrob05

chrisrob05

Awards
Seriously sounds like shin splints. I had them while I was in the ARMY. They can be controlled by running courses with less turns and proper footwear. I love to run and I had to use the ice and heat method. At night, ice the sore shin(s) for 15 minutes and then use a HOT pad for 15 minutes. Do that 2 or 3 times per night and it will heal.

shocknyou

shocknyou

Awards
So, did my cardio earlier (jogging) and felt a slight pain in my shins, did a little research and came up with a couple answers, one is that it may be the type of ground im jogging on, i jogg on gravel, so maybe need to find a new location where its mostly grass, second was the footwear, i wear Nike Air Maxes, not because i thought they would be good for jogging, but thats just the shoe i wear and have worn for 6-7 months.

I dont want to change location because where i jogg there is a nice lake right beside it, and im ALWAYS the only one there, its kind of a un-known place. And im pretty sure my shoes are fine, i will go to the extent of buying new ones if i have to though.

So basically what im asking is some ways to maybe relieve pain, some stretches, different things to help the shin heal after a jogg, really anything you guys personally do/use. Thanks Er'-body.
What you are describing is shin pain as a result of used up shoes. The average running shoe has a life span of 6 months. The best thing to do is go on Nike.com or Asics where you can enter the characteristics of your foot and get a list of shoes that is best for you. What I like about Nike's site is you pick the surface your running on as well. I too wear Nike Air Max because I have a med arch, normal pronation and run on hard surfaces like cement.

TheMeatus101

TheMeatus101

Awards
  • Established
I already figured out it was shin splints but thanks anyways peeps.

TheMeatus101

TheMeatus101

Awards
  • Established
Guys check this out, me and a buddy were doing some fishing the other day, i was wearing sweat-pants and timberland boots, we decided to go for a jog, but i had on the boots still, but decided to say **** it, and go jogging with the timbs on........it felt great omg, they were so comfortable, no shin splints, im def not gonna jogg for now on in them though cuz i have some new sperry tennis shoes that are very comfortable lol, but still it amazed me on how the timbs did while i was jogging.........just to let yall' know.

1 More Repp

1 More Repp

Awards
I had bad shin splint problems all throughout high school and there were a few things i did to overcome them. The physical therapist i went to had me freeze a styrafome cup full of water then peel the top off and rub up and down my shin with the block of ice every night. Also changing the insole in your shoe rather than buying completely new ones might be a good option to.. that would be cheaper at least. Good luck man.

Masciaman

Masciaman

Awards
you either got shin splints or you need to get new running shoes before you GET shin splints. ive had em before im in the army too..