How does everybody feel about "suicide grip" on bench press.

ax1

ax1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ive been tucking my thumb under the bar for bench press for well over a decade. How do you feel about this? Dangerous?

Post your thoughts here.

Bench Press Accidents How to Avoid

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
its called suicide grip for a reason. it serves no benefit IMO. another opinion, you are mechanically stronger with a normal grip.

Red Dog

Red Dog

Awards
  • Established
I think the dangers are pretty clear -- as those gentlemen put it, "it'll break yo' ****in' neck."

Also, I feel an increased contribution from the triceps when using the suicide grip -- I usually implement it with push-downs and various extension exercises.

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
I use "suicide grip" on everything outside of obviously bicep exercises. And this includes all forms of bench press. I haven't dropped it on myself......yet. :D

It CERTAINLY is no more dangerous on bench press than reverse grip bench press is. now THAT is dangerous without a spotter, 3 plus plates on there with a reverse grip, and if your wrists bend forwards and you can't hold it that's coming straight at yo f'ing face as those guys would so eloquently put it.

rexkwondoe

Awards
I fell into using suicide grip about a year ago. As of right now...I predominately use suicide grip on everything, sometimes I'll even clean and jerk with that grip. I'm not saying that it's the best way to go, or the safest way at all. I've just found that my hand is comfortable like that as long as I'm keeping the weight within reason. I'd never max out with this grip, mind you (I never even max out really...my nervous system doesn't like that many action potentials).

I think this grip comes with LOTS of gym experience and forearm development.

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
its fcking stupid

doesnt matter how you grip the bar, that isnt gonna make a difference in how much you can press.

"since using suicide grip, my bench has gone up 50lbs" you dont hear that cuz it doesnt matter. dont use this grip, simple

ax1

ax1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
its fcking stupid

doesnt matter how you grip the bar, that isnt gonna make a difference in how much you can press.

"since using suicide grip, my bench has gone up 50lbs" you dont hear that cuz it doesnt matter. dont use this grip, simple
For me its a matter of comfort, not actual power gains. I use it on lat pull-downs, triceps push-downs, and several other exercises as well.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Not for everyone. Can't recall names off the top of my head but a number of top benchers do use this grip. I will say that it's patently false to state that there's no mechanical advantage - the weight is at all times directly under the forearm, and not hovering forward or backward from it, so force translation is most efficient. You can still have this efficiency with the standard grip if you are very strict with your bench form and your wrists dont bend back or forth during the movement.

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
For me its a matter of comfort, not actual power gains. I use it on lat pull-downs, triceps push-downs, and several other exercises as well.
in those exercises, you're not holding weight above your face
Not for everyone. Can't recall names off the top of my head but a number of top benchers do use this grip. I will say that it's patently false to state that there's no mechanical advantage - the weight is at all times directly under the forearm, and not hovering forward or backward from it, so force translation is most efficient. You can still have this efficiency with the standard grip if you are very strict with your bench form and your wrists dont bend back or forth during the movement.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOBKGesyFwk - Dave Tate on "flase grip"

i dislike it, good video for the false grip tho

highlights of vidoe are, less strain on pecs, more focus on tri's. less distance bar has to move

Reactions: ax1

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
back in my "better days" i went 450 plus on flat bench with suicide grip. I don't think it matters one way or another, however i've been doing it so long that doing it the other way just feels....off. And little things like that can mentally throw you off your game sometimes with heavy weight.

ax1

ax1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

highlights of vidoe are, less strain on pecs, more focus on tri's. less distance bar has to move
Excellent post, thanks for posting that vid!

I actually use a very wide grip for all my benching, maybe a reason why false grips have been so comfortable for me. Allows me to angle my grip a little as well.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

Good vid, I hadn't seen it before. I also didn't know about the focus on the tris. I now wonder if using such a grip would be beneficial doing dips (to take away emphasis on the chest). Maybe it doesn't work that way, though.

StangBanger

StangBanger

Awards
no input other than vid made me laugh.. break yo phuckin neck!

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
np for video, if youre gonna do false at least do it correctly

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
In my 20s I used suicides because it gave me a more comfortable feeling, seemed to allow me to generate more power when doing power wos. However, once I reached 34+ then I went back to regular grip because suicides were hurting like hell. I don't know what happened other than my wo focused more on hypertrophy rather than power and it has stayed hyper style for 4 years varying a few weeks here n there towards power and strength.

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
Good vid, I hadn't seen it before. I also didn't know about the focus on the tris. I now wonder if using such a grip would be beneficial doing dips (to take away emphasis on the chest). Maybe it doesn't work that way, though.
I do tricep dips with the suicide grip, and IMO it DOES target the triceps more and keep chest out of the equation better than traditional grip. Obviously bi's as well, which are not worked too much with dips, but ARE worked to a certain extent basically any and every time you use a traditional grip on something.

Knowbull

Awards
  • Established
Never heard it refered to as that, but its the grip I was shown to use by a pro. It works, but I dont think it makes more than a marginal difference, it seems more comfortable than including thumbs.

warrior6

Awards
suicide grip is a comfort thing... I would say after a while of doing it one way it would become mental just like anything else.

kanakafarian

kanakafarian

Awards
Because of tendinitis in both my elbows, I had to switch to this grip. It has helped alleviate most of the stress while benching.

ax1

ax1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Because of tendinitis in both my elbows, I had to switch to this grip. It has helped alleviate most of the stress while benching.
Suicide grip and wide grip have treated my elbow very well benching. Suicide grip allows a slight angle in your wrists to put less strain on them as well.

I dont power-lift, I train up to 205-225 and thats it, Im not going much further than that or care to.

kanakafarian

kanakafarian

Awards
Suicide grip and wide grip have treated my elbow very well benching. Suicide grip allows a slight angle in your wrists to put less strain on them as well.

I dont power-lift, I train up to 205-225 and thats it, Im not going much further than that or care to.
한국사람이에요?

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
invest in neoprene elbow sleeves or a type of elbow sleeves and learn how to tuck your elbows. you shouldnt be getting pain at that weight unless thats like your 1rm

N.Woods Giant

N.Woods Giant

Awards
  • Established
Reps for that video, it made me laugh.

Ive never tried suicide grip and never will.

Reactions: ax1
ax1

ax1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Reps for that video, it made me laugh.

Ive never tried suicide grip and never will.
lol, yeah those twins are great, you should watch their supplement reviews, its hilarious.

StillKicking

Awards
Have you tried gripping the bar normally and extending out your thumbs on the opposite side of the bar from your fingers. I either do this or grab the bar with a crushing 'normal' grip when benching.

WKUanimal

WKUanimal

Awards
I dont really use it anymore. used to though. Now its only for rows and deads