Grip strength...

1. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.28%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Grip strength...

How many of you guys target your grip strength as a priority?

I've just started doing this one excercise to better help me in that area. I get a 4.5 foot straight BB and load it up with an appropriatte amount of weights. I pick it up with one hand and hold it as long as I possibly can. I've been able to do this with 150lbs for almost 1.5 minutes. Granted I just started doing them, but I think it's really helping in forearm and bicep development.

A question, does anybody wear gloves? I don't cause I think that they'll hamper grip strength, but lately I've been getting some serious damage with calouses. I've always had them to begin with from lifting/yard-work, but now they're getting outa control. Should I start to wear the gloves or rather take a pumice stone and moisturizer? You see, grip is one of my main priorities, and I'd like to keep it that way and not have other things effect it in any sort of way.....any thoughts?

2. Board Supporter
    Stats
    6'2"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    69.25%

In my opinion, calouses go along with the grip strength. What good is it to have a super strong grip but break your skin doing it? I have an "all natural" kind of mentality when it comes to lifting though so I may be wrong. Maybe wear the gloves all or half of the time and incorporate a forearm exercise?
  3. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'7"  XXX lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    24.08%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

I'm anti-glove as well... anything that builds forearm strength will help with back strength. Me... I'm partial to drumming as a forearm workout I got the most improvement in grip strength by doing as much of my back day and SLDLs without wrist wraps, I only use them when I really feel that my grip is the limiter on "failure."

ManBeast
    -Saving random peoples' nuts, one pair at at time... PCT info:
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/steroids/192992-pct-what-why.html
    -Are you really ready for a cycle? Read this link and be honest:
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/steroids/191120-checklist-before-thinking.html
    *I am not a medical expert, my opinions are not professional, and I strongly suggest doing research of your own.*
    •   

4. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    74.64%

Quote Originally Posted by Jergo
    How many of you guys target your grip strength as a priority?

I've just started doing this one excercise to better help me in that area. I get a 4.5 foot straight BB and load it up with an appropriatte amount of weights. I pick it up with one hand and hold it as long as I possibly can. I've been able to do this with 150lbs for almost 1.5 minutes. Granted I just started doing them, but I think it's really helping in forearm and bicep development.

A question, does anybody wear gloves? I don't cause I think that they'll hamper grip strength, but lately I've been getting some serious damage with calouses. I've always had them to begin with from lifting/yard-work, but now they're getting outa control. Should I start to wear the gloves or rather take a pumice stone and moisturizer? You see, grip is one of my main priorities, and I'd like to keep it that way and not have other things effect it in any sort of way.....any thoughts?
    I do a similiar thing every so often. I consider it more of a test than an exercise tho. I just grab a 100 lb DB in each hand and hold!! Mental strength comes in handy here because you want to drop them after like 30 seconds. The longest I've ever been able to hold is around 62 seconds (my buddy times me). Its a lot of fun, and I promise you that you will get some strange looks ...I've also done some farmers walks as a metabolic exercise, and those put a hell of a strain on the grip strength.

Kinda reminds me of the Strongman events where they hang above a swimming pool from a pull-up bar, although this is a bit different b/c some back muscles are recruited.
  5. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    89.57%

I like using IronMind captains of crush grippers, fun to play with at work. Never trust a guy with a wet noodle handshake.

http://www.ironmind.com/grippers.shtml
  6. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    96.98%

It's not a priority, but I train my grip like every other muscle, once a week. I do bb hold, ironmind gripper, and I do exercise for wrist strength.

I think a strong grip is one of the most impressive thing and can help you in everyday activities, so yes Im training my grip as seriously as any other muscle.
  7. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.28%

Interesting thoughts guys...I'll look into those grippers too.

Thank you..
  8. Get big or die trying
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    56.62%

Just put in an order for those grippers. There listed as 19.99 but are on sale for $8. I got the level 1, and 2 grippers. What level are you on. Hopefully I didn't need to start w/the trainer.
  9. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    25.42%

The Ivanko Gripper looks way better in my opinion. We've got a thread on grip strength going at Avant if you're interested: http://forum.avantlabs.com/?act=ST&f=46&t=6076&hl=&
  10. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    96.98%

Quote Originally Posted by pjflynn
    Just put in an order for those grippers. There listed as 19.99 but are on sale for $8. I got the level 1, and 2 grippers. What level are you on. Hopefully I didn't need to start w/the trainer.
    Probably not. When I ordered mines, my mother was able to close the trainer pretty easily lol My grip strength sucks those days, and I was almost able to close the 200 lbs.

You will see, if you are really serious about grip, it will increase fast.
  11. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    58.43%

I have an Ivanko super gripper and it has a **** load of tension. I can barley close it when both springs are moved the hole way to the top
  12. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    40.96%

Quote Originally Posted by Strateg0s
    The Ivanko Gripper looks way better in my opinion. We've got a thread on grip strength going at Avant if you're interested: http://forum.avantlabs.com/?act=ST&f=46&t=6076&hl=&
    Has anyone tried any of their other products? I just visited their site and they have a WristRipper and Biceps Blaster. They look good but I like good quality. Are these good quality?...
  13. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    25.42%

Good quality, if you mean sturdy. But as for things like a luscious foam grip, you're out of luck. Also, it's not quite as good looking as the Captains of Crush ones. But if you are concerned with grip, how concerned are you with effeminate considerations like looks and softness?

Similar Forum Threads

1. Grip Strength
    By JETHRO in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 03-27-2008, 01:11 AM
  2. Grip Strength and Training
    By donk in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-29-2007, 12:26 AM
  3. grip strength
    By BACKMAN in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 3