Trimming down without losing muscle mass

coverlay

Awards
I have been working out regularily for about 3 months now after dropping 35 pounds using the HCG diet. (4-5 times a week). I have maintained my weight at about 215 pounds. My work outs are combined with a protien suppliment. I take a whey protien shake for breakfast and again after my workout in the evening. I have seen muscle growth and some results with my physical appearance. However i feel like I am flat lining. I want more results especially in a loss of fat. If i could burn fat and keep the muscle or still increase muscle mass, that would be ideal.

I have talked to several people and get mized opinions about increasing reps and decreasing weights while working out. Increasing cardio, eating differently... I've been told to stay away from carbs and have been told to love them... bottom line is that i want to slim down and increase the muscle definition i already have. Suggestions? please help

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have been working out regularily for about 3 months now after dropping 35 pounds using the HCG diet. (4-5 times a week). I have maintained my weight at about 215 pounds. My work outs are combined with a protien suppliment. I take a whey protien shake for breakfast and again after my workout in the evening. I have seen muscle growth and some results with my physical appearance. However i feel like I am flat lining. I want more results especially in a loss of fat. If i could burn fat and keep the muscle or still increase muscle mass, that would be ideal.

I have talked to several people and get mized opinions about increasing reps and decreasing weights while working out. Increasing cardio, eating differently... I've been told to stay away from carbs and have been told to love them... bottom line is that i want to slim down and increase the muscle definition i already have. Suggestions? please help
You're still a newbie - you should be able to get fairly rapid results. The HCG diet wasn't the best way to start out, IMO, but I'll refrain from my thoughts on that (you could find them around here if you looked hard enough anyways).

Notes on what you have said and comments/replies on queries:
* A protein shake is NOT enough for breakfast.
* You do NOT have to increase reps and decrease weights for fat loss - it doesn't matter what your training is like, honestly, since NUTRITION is the predominant factor determining your success (or lack of it) re fat loss, and you could pretty much do whatever re resistance training - although I DO recommend continuing to lift as hard and heavy as you can, reps dependent on the exercise and/or bodypart, etc.
* There is nothing wrong with having carbohydrates - they are NOT the enemy and you do NOT have to eliminate or minimize them drastically to achieve fat loss!
* You want to recomp - something you might achieve as a newbie, only because your body will still be adjusting (although it may have already done that after ~3 months), but after that, then you're better off picking either fat loss or muscle gain, since recomping if not a newbie making newbie gains, then you have to manipulate your nutrition perfectly for YOU for it, and only EXPERIENCED trainees can generally do this.

Not sure who recommended you do the HCG diet or if you just did it yourself, but the BEST INVESTMENT you can make IMO is to get yourself a professional and proper trainer who knows what they're doing, can and will INDIVIDUALIZE a nutrition plan and training programme specific to YOU for your goals and needs.

If you don't want to start out the right way or cannot afford a trainer, then do as much research of your own as possible, because there is endless information out there on fat loss, recomp, and gaining muscle.

I recommend that you start by downloading and reading The 3 Keys to Fat Loss - it contains comprehensive advice and information re nutrition, supplementation (forget about using anything but the basic staples!), and training for effective and successful fat loss. You are exactly the type of individual that I wrote this article for, and if you apply the principles outlined in this article, you will make progress re fat loss.

~Rosie~

coverlay

Awards
Wow, Thank you soooo much. I am definitely going to read the article and apply what you said in your reply.

I did the HCG diet upon request from a friend. They needed people to promote it so i tried it... ( I will NEVER do it again )

Thanks again for all the great info!!

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Keep protein at 1.5 grams esp during this time..carbs that is individual and you can adjust them as you get closer to your goal, fat is individual as well, I prefer low fat when really losing bodyf at

if your not getting a pump your overdoing by
1. too much cardio
2. too low calories
3. dieting too hard too fast

it is MUCH better to diet slower than faster. I used to think I was more in shape than I am now and when I wanted to get ripped. of course both times I was in pre-contest but your not and you can do it slower and retain and even gain some muscle. yes it is possible to gain muscle and lose bodyfat, as long as your not in too low of calorie mode.

I ended up dieting too hard for too hard, its a lot of mental strain, and its much better to keep body fat lower all year round. Im not talking ripped or anything just so you dont get a little budge hanging over your pants when you tuck in your shirt.

CoorsLight126

CoorsLight126

Awards
You're still a newbie - you should be able to get fairly rapid results. The HCG diet wasn't the best way to start out, IMO, but I'll refrain from my thoughts on that (you could find them around here if you looked hard enough anyways).

Notes on what you have said and comments/replies on queries:
* A protein shake is NOT enough for breakfast.
* You do NOT have to increase reps and decrease weights for fat loss - it doesn't matter what your training is like, honestly, since NUTRITION is the predominant factor determining your success (or lack of it) re fat loss, and you could pretty much do whatever re resistance training - although I DO recommend continuing to lift as hard and heavy as you can, reps dependent on the exercise and/or bodypart, etc.
* There is nothing wrong with having carbohydrates - they are NOT the enemy and you do NOT have to eliminate or minimize them drastically to achieve fat loss!
* You want to recomp - something you might achieve as a newbie, only because your body will still be adjusting (although it may have already done that after ~3 months), but after that, then you're better off picking either fat loss or muscle gain, since recomping if not a newbie making newbie gains, then you have to manipulate your nutrition perfectly for YOU for it, and only EXPERIENCED trainees can generally do this.

Not sure who recommended you do the HCG diet or if you just did it yourself, but the BEST INVESTMENT you can make IMO is to get yourself a professional and proper trainer who knows what they're doing, can and will INDIVIDUALIZE a nutrition plan and training programme specific to YOU for your goals and needs.

If you don't want to start out the right way or cannot afford a trainer, then do as much research of your own as possible, because there is endless information out there on fat loss, recomp, and gaining muscle.

I recommend that you start by downloading and reading The 3 Keys to Fat Loss - it contains comprehensive advice and information re nutrition, supplementation (forget about using anything but the basic staples!), and training for effective and successful fat loss. You are exactly the type of individual that I wrote this article for, and if you apply the principles outlined in this article, you will make progress re fat loss.

~Rosie~

I think I'm in love with this chick

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Probably the most important piece is patience. You can probably lose a half pound a week with no muscle loss, once you start going past that there tends to at least be some muscle loss, even if minor. Remember too that strength loss and muscle tissue loss are totally separate things, and you can't state that "i'm not losing any muscle because my strength hasn't gone down" either.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Probably the most important piece is patience. You can probably lose a half pound a week with no muscle loss, once you start going past that there tends to at least be some muscle loss, even if minor. Remember too that strength loss and muscle tissue loss are totally separate things, and you can't state that "i'm not losing any muscle because my strength hasn't gone down" either.
I agree Eric. Some Pros lose an average of 2 lbs per week when getting ready for a show and they are on so many anabolics, other things they can easily do this and even 3-5 lbs of fat in a week , in many cases "growing" into the show

for the average person that does not use hormonals it has to be very slowly.

for people who do use hormonals , otc or otherwise, you can get away with a bit more- anabolics change things very greatly.

It only makes sense to lose it very slowly unless you are behind schedule and have to get ready for a photoshoot , a competition, something big, and if you stay lean year round that really is not that much of a situation.

I wish I know now back when i first started , when i first started at 21 I went from 175lbs to 216 in like nine months with some fat. That spring and summer when i was 22 I cut down to 195 and lost a good amount of strength. Another thing that is very useful is diet (below maintaince of course) for a month and riase calories back to maintenance for a week and repeat that a few times, that really helps hold onto strength

I could go on and on. Ill probably write an article how to keep muscle mass when dieting because if you do not know what your doing it is easy to lose, esp when not on anabolic s

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Wow, Thank you soooo much. I am definitely going to read the article and apply what you said in your reply.

I did the HCG diet upon request from a friend. They needed people to promote it so i tried it... ( I will NEVER do it again )

Thanks again for all the great info!!
No worries :)

I see.

Eric and John both mentioned some valid points as well.

~Rosie~