Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Are lunges a mass building exercise?
They could be - anything can help build mass if you're eating ENOUGH for muscle accretion and using the appropriate rep range. If you're wanting to do something for legs/glutes though, squats are hands down the best exercise you can do for that re mass.

~Rosie~

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
It depends on what muscles you're targetting. It's not really a good mass builder for quads as the movement is so reliant on stabilizers that you become limited with the weight you can use. It can be ok for hams, and probably good for glutes if you do them heavy. They should have good carryover to your squat from everything I've read, especially if you don't work your hip abductors.

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
I have a love:hate relationship with walking lunges. I hate doing them but I love the way they make me feel.

K

KPM84

Awards
I am a big fan of lunges and believe they really helped me build speed for sprints, but i wouldn't depend on them alone for mass. Squats are the real key there. but to get more out of your lunges, try using a barbell with appropriate weight over your shoulders as you would with a squat.

C

colange2

Awards
All I know is that heavy DB walking lunges get my rump more sore than anything I've ever done...

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
I have a love:hate relationship with walking lunges. I hate doing them but I love the way they make me feel.
Same

I do it Ronnie Coleman style: grab a barbell, walk outside the gym, lunge walk the parking lot - that's one.

Canadianguy

Canadianguy

Awards
my gym has an indoor track that goes around it. people love doing walking lunges around it, including myself. its the hardcores u see doing that ****

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
Walking Lunges are my favorite mass builder and They make you less prone to injury then traditional squats and deadlifts. I give walking lunges a lot of credit for the size of my trunks.

dalexander

dalexander

Awards
try rear foot elevated split squat. great for stability and isolates muscle group more than back squat