1. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    4.67%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Bent over BB rows - a little help plz

Ok so I understand you are supposed to keep your elbows in and you are supposed to bring the bar so it touches your stomach.

Problem is with elbows in, I cant bring the bar up that high - even with no weight, heck even with no bar! To get my arms that far back I have to kick my elbows out some.

So what/how do I correct this.... is it ok to kick the elbows out at the top to get the bar all the way up?

also, where is everyone gripping the bar, narrow? wide? or shoulder width (basically arms straight ahead). I am doing straight ahead/shoulder width.

Thanks

2. The Female Terminator
    Stats
    5'1"  117 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    62.52%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by StangBanger View Post
    Ok so I understand you are supposed to keep your elbows in and you are supposed to bring the bar so it touches your stomach.

Problem is with elbows in, I cant bring the bar up that high - even with no weight, heck even with no bar! To get my arms that far back I have to kick my elbows out some.

So what/how do I correct this.... is it ok to kick the elbows out at the top to get the bar all the way up?

also, where is everyone gripping the bar, narrow? wide? or shoulder width (basically arms straight ahead). I am doing straight ahead/shoulder width.

Thanks
    Not sure how you can't keep your elbows in; just bring your arms straight back, keeping your elbows in as much as you can - like you would doing a seated row. If you can't bring the barbell all the way up to touch your stomach/hips, then it's not that big of a deal - take it as high as you can with as good technique as you can.

What width grip you use is up to you, but generally shoulder-width or slightly wider. You can use pronated (overhand) or supinated (underhand) grip as well. Experiment with different widths and grips to find the best way for you to use correct form.

~Rosie~
    Contact Me for INDIVIDUALIZED TRAINING AND NUTRITION

"Think like a Champion. Train like a Warrior. Live with a Purpose." - Rosie Chee
  3. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    4.67%
    Achievements Posting Pro

thanks.. I guess I am just not flexible! I will try stretching to see if I can keep the elbows in and get all the way up. I just tried again and the last 2 inches my back/shoulders get real tight but I can pull all the way up, its just hard to get the last 2 inches up because everything gets so tight.
    •   

4. The Female Terminator
    Stats
    5'1"  117 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    62.52%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

thanks.. I guess I am just not flexible! I will try stretching to see if I can keep the elbows in and get all the way up. I just tried again and the last 2 inches my back/shoulders get real tight but I can pull all the way up, its just hard to get the last 2 inches up because everything gets so tight.
    No worries Sounds like you need to start doing daily stretching to loosen your body up. Can you stand with your arms by your side, elbows flexed and have your elbows touching your body? Just bend over slightly and practice moving your arms forward and back. If it's hard to pull all the way up to have the barbell touch your upper abs, then lift it to touch your hips and see how that goes.

~Rosie~
    Contact Me for INDIVIDUALIZED TRAINING AND NUTRITION

"Think like a Champion. Train like a Warrior. Live with a Purpose." - Rosie Chee
  5. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'5"  163 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    9.98%

...its just hard to get the last 2 inches up because everything gets so tight.
    That's what she said...! LOL! Ha, don't worry about it man! Just alter your form a little bit to where you can do it comfortably, start with a low weight, and you should get a good idea if it's wrong or not.
  6. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  208 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    46.06%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Perhaps try an underhand grip.
  7. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    18.32%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

It is a common problem if you are using a pronated grip and trying to pull it to your chest. I have no idea how someone could not reach their stomach with no weight unless you have one of the angles wrong.

YouTube - Bent Over Barbell Rows

Here is a video of me demonstrating a Supinated Grip Bent Over Barbell Row with a 45 degree angle of the torso. It has my website on there so can be classed as advertising, not 100% sure if this would be against the rules so I won't embed it. If it is against them I will delete it.

Is this the angle your torso is at and are you trying to bring the bar to the same height?
    PES Representative
    http://pescience.com/insider
    http://selectprotein.com
  8. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    4.67%
    Achievements Posting Pro

yeah but I am overhand grip... I think its just a flexibility thing as I have to really squeeze the last bit out... my forearms are longer than average can be part of it too (seriously, tailored longsleeves only). I can reach my stomach but at the top my elbows go out a little. maybe I am just being too strict with the 'elbows in'
  9. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    99.9%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Proper form: YouTube - How to do a Bent Over Row

Are you doing this? I'm having a hard time following how mobility issues would be causing problems. If they are I feel you would have serious problems elsewhere, too, like even touching your nose.
  10. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    4.67%
    Achievements Posting Pro

thats what Im doing (proper form)... its the elbow thing for sure after watching that, even his are kicked out a little bit (which is what I was trying so hard NOT to do), I am being too strict keeping them in to where they touch my rib cage on retraction which based on that video is just not right.

I think I just got in my own head about keeping the elbows in that I took that too far!
  11. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    18.32%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

I think there is a certain amount of allowance on line of pull. If I pull it up to my stomach (as I did in the video clip) and squeeze my lats and scapula retractors my elbows flare because my lats are flexed.

Between the two I would prefer to have full range and my elbows flare a little bit at the end of the movement than pull it in with my elbows forced by my sides and not reach a peak contraction at the top of the concentric range.

So, if you are doing what I am doing in the video clip I would say you are good to go (obviously!).
    PES Representative
  12. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  191 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    15.12%

Thanks
    Work on shoulder dislocations
    Good ol timba. I miss the misc haha.
    YouTube - shoulder dislocation with band

edit: As for ben, I just watched your video, why did you not stretch out your lats? That has always been a rule for me, no matter the back exercise the fascia need to be stretched out in order to have proper work. Your bent over rows appear to be relying a bit too much on rear delts for the pull
    "No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training...what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." - Socrates
  13. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    18.32%

Quote Originally Posted by oogaly_boogal View Post
    Work on shoulder dislocations
    Good ol timba. I miss the misc haha.
    YouTube - shoulder dislocation with band

edit: As for ben, I just watched your video, why did you not stretch out your lats? That has always been a rule for me, no matter the back exercise the fascia need to be stretched out in order to have proper work. Your bent over rows appear to be relying a bit too much on rear delts for the pull
    Interesting, I have never received this feedback. How have you assessed the proportion of work performed on the muscles contributing to shoulder extension?
    PES Representative
  14. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  191 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    15.12%

Quote Originally Posted by bdcc View Post
    Interesting, I have never received this feedback. How have you assessed the proportion of work performed on the muscles contributing to shoulder extension?
    Personally it feels a bit less stressful on the joint. Where as having your shoulders drawn back tight requires a bit of focus on your delts/traps, actually lowering your arms to almost a dead hang (while still holding the proper angle) allows for that muscular release and stretch. Granted you need a bit of strength in your biceps and confidence in their tensile strength.

Once again, just a personal preference
    "No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training...what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." - Socrates
  15. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    18.32%

I don't understand how you say I personally was using rear deltoids rather than lats to pull just from looking at the video? Please explain.
    PES Representative
  16. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  191 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    15.12%

Quote Originally Posted by bdcc View Post
    I don't understand how you say I personally was using rear deltoids rather than lats to pull just from looking at the video? Please explain.
    Woah. Just watched the video again and it honestly looks different to me. I should start sleeping more often, my apologies. I still stand my my stretching though.
  17. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    4.67%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by oogaly_boogal View Post
    Woah. Just watched the video again and it honestly looks different to me. I should start sleeping more often, my apologies. I still stand my my stretching though.
    Im gonna try that shoulder dislocation stretch. thanks.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 211
    Last Post: 10-08-2010, 02:41 PM
  2. Bent over row help
    By coldseed in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 08-09-2010, 03:13 PM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-08-2010, 06:46 PM
  4. Benefit of inv rows to bent bb rows?
    By dave12 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 5