loss of grip? - AnabolicMinds.com

loss of grip?

1. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Answers

loss of grip?

Ok, so third week of working out hard...

today did some pullups to warmup and then I pushed myself on deadlifts and did 4 sets of 5 adding weight each set. then 4 sets of bent over db rows

after that I felt like I couldnt grip a bar confidently enough to keep lifting. this happen to anyone else? Like i feel like I lost all strength in my hands I was going to do barbell rows next but didnt because I didnt feel like I had the strenght in my hands to grip the bar

I hope this is just a fluke! totally deflated...

2. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'7"  219 lbs.
    Answers

happens to me once in awhile during shoulder shrugs, i keep my lifting straps handy, they help tons when this happens. there cheap and they work well. just don't rely on them all the time.
  3. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  160 lbs.
    Answers

Happens to everyone man, your grip strength will improve with time. I suggest using some lifting chalk to avoid slipping. This way you still develop your grip strength. Once you can no longer grip the bar safely then use the straps to finish your workout if you have to. And as demolition said, don't rely on them too much!
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  225 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by StangBanger View Post
    Ok, so third week of working out hard...

today did some pullups to warmup and then I pushed myself on deadlifts and did 4 sets of 5 adding weight each set. then 4 sets of bent over db rows

after that I felt like I couldnt grip a bar confidently enough to keep lifting. this happen to anyone else? Like i feel like I lost all strength in my hands I was going to do barbell rows next but didnt because I didnt feel like I had the strenght in my hands to grip the bar

I hope this is just a fluke! totally deflated...
    If you are training deads on back day, many of us prefer to start with rows (BB or DB) before pulling deads. It warms up your CNS and keeps your low back fresh when doing rows for proper form.

As for grip when deadlifting, use a mixed grip (one hand supinated, one pronated) to keep the bar from rolling out of your hands. As the others said, when you reach a point where your grip is giving out before your primary movers, then use straps to assist.
  5. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Answers

thanks everyone - good to know its not just me.. it was totally a deflating moment.

I will switch it up next week and do my rows first. I have straps and used them on my last set of DL's since it was more weight than Ive ever done and it definitly helped.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. My close grip bench & regular grip problem
    By fruitpunch24 in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-21-2010, 09:43 PM
  2. Grip-N-Rip with STI
    By SmallTownIron in forum Workout Logs
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-31-2010, 03:11 PM
  3. Deadlifting: Mixed grip or regular, palms-down grip?
    By dannyboy9 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-06-2007, 10:40 PM
  4. My grip
    By Loki420 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-22-2004, 05:47 PM
  5. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-15-2004, 11:03 AM