biceps question

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Since we know the only way to increase biceps size is to utilize exercises that allow the greatest amount of overload to be placed on the muscle do you think the burn machine would be perfect alterntive to dumbell and barbell?

When considering effective exercises that work the biceps specifically, I try t never sacrifice maximum overload for the sake of variation. I try not stray too far from the basics such as heavy barbell and dumbbell curls.

The short outer head of the biceps is recruited most during the supination of the wrists. Supination of the wrist can be performed when using dumbbells but not a barbell. Therefore, normally heavy dumbbell curls complement heavy barbell curls perfectly. So why not combine the two.

So normally I do 3 sets barbell 2 sets dumbell but with this machine I could do 5 sets on it and get the best of both worlds. Any thoughts?

liftallday123

Awards
  • Established
these machines look awsome! Id by one but they seem to be very expensive!

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
It is expesive. Indeed. Money asside since my theroy is right could I apply it to this machine?

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Any one else?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Your theory is right, but you missed the elephant in the room: the greatest amount of overload on the biceps is placed by chins and not curls.

JoHNnyNuTZ

JoHNnyNuTZ

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
This does look pretty sweet though

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Your theory is right, but you missed the elephant in the room: the greatest amount of overload on the biceps is placed by chins and not curls.
How so? I am curious now.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I love me some chins! curls...not so much

LIFTEDnGIFTED

LIFTEDnGIFTED

Awards
kinda seems like a waste of money when you can get a perfectly good workout for biceps with variations of db curls and pullups.

bezoe

bezoe

Awards
  • Established
Absolutely. Spot on point made by somebody with exercise science credentials.

I got into it with a guy about this awhile back. EMG studies prove it, considering your'e actually moving the same or more weight with the chin ups.

Also, biceps brachii does supination, but the premise that a DB curl would place more emphasis because youre actually performing supination is wrong. The forearm is already supinated with BB curls, so it is contraction the same, but in an already shortened position.

cowboy007

cowboy007

Awards
  • Established
They need to make a Barbell Shake Weight! Get Chuck Norris to endorse it and offer a free bottle of velvet antler pills with each paid order!