Releasing the Demons...

bigpetefox

bigpetefox

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Yep, I'm writing another useless training thingy.. :p

When I started lifting at the age of 14, I was helped out alot by my friends who were 3x bigger.. I don't think I did any curls or small musclegroup exercises the first year of training, just heavy compound movements.. Years pass, my strength stays in the "Damn, you can lift THAT?!?" realm of things.. But, there was always that fear of dropping something heavy on my chest during bench, or my shoulders popping out when military pressing.. This fear came about when at age 19 while deadlifting 595, my lower vertebrae decided to do this weird shifting motion that caused me to drop the bar on my second rep.. Since then, I got this jittery feeling about doing anything remotely risky, even if I did have a 290lb spotter over me. This made my bench suffer, my squat almost didn't exist, my lower back thanks me for ending the punishment..

Face your fears!

One thing I had to keep in mind is that I'm control of the weight, not the weight controlling me. Once you feel you can't control it, lower it.. Don't let ego take over the lift, that's when injury comes.. I've trained with guys alot bigger than me, and when I know I can't control the weight, regardless of their bullying, I won't touch it.. The "gain" isn't worth the injury, if they can handle it, good for them.. Taking your time in easing into it is the only way. I've seen alot of guys get hurt trying to break thru, yet they never even worked their way up to that point to begin with.. Remember, you control the weight, and it takes practice to know how much control each weight needs to get anything out of using it.

This is not a race!

I'm sure we've all seen it, too many seem to bench/squat/yank the weight too fast, in a poor range of motion. This is a pet peeve of mine indeed, I never move weight fast in a limited range. This is just askin' for something to tear. It may take me 3-5 seconds to get thru a single rep, because I like to stimulate the muscle being worked. Of course I've done reps way too fast once, didn't feel too much of a pump from it so that idea has gone bye-bye.. The idea of control also means rep speed should be in consideration.. No bouncing the weight off your chest, no hopping-like motion at the top of a squat, no yanking the bar off the floor in a deadlift.. Keeping control, staying in a smooth accent/decent type movement thru the set. This will help you grow, not swinging the weight around, that only means you can't handle it.

Face the music, and turn it up a notch!

Only when you feel strong, confident, you will be able to return to lifts of old.. Dexter Jackson, for example, couldn't deadlift for a long time due to back problems, much like myself.. He now can deadlift again, and credits deads for his gains that helped him get the placings he's earned so far.. I also stepped up and did actual deadlifts again after all these years, and boy did it feel good! Beating your fears on certain lifts can be a good boost, and it wakes you up to how strong you've actually gotten since the last time you tried.. Has it been awhile since you've gotten a certain number on squats? Get a good spotter, and go for adding 5lbs to your "comfort number".. You'll amaze yourself as I've amazed myself.. Stay focused and sharp, don't psyche yourself out too much.. If you tackle the mental aspect of the lift, it won't be as heavy as it looks.. ;)

MaDmaN

MaDmaN

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Not that useless BigPete, sometime's we get so wrapped up un the newest supplement or training routine we sometimes forget the basics...I really like articles on body and mind connection....so nice post :)..

PS:I went to that Bodybuilding show in Bellingham the ANBC mr.Mass and there were only 3 or 4 competitors in each class,some only 2...It was kind of depressing I remember competing in the AAU and there would be 15 bodybuilders. It appears bodybuilding in not a growing sport...too bad :(

bigpetefox

bigpetefox

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Wow, you're from the Ma. area? :)

If the ANBC were to pay attention to who's on and who's really natty, I would've waited and kept competing there.. Sucks when I was in better condition for natty shows, and I'd lose to known juicers, but I'm not bitter, I'm on the same field now.. ;)

Thanks for the props, brother.. I finally got my deadlift back to where I want it for now (did 405 for 3 solid reps yesterday), so it's all uphill from here.. :D

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
Yeah pete, good stuff. I always have a hard time with psyching myself out usually just during bench's. For some reason I just absolutely hate doing them. Probably due to the fact that it's my worst excercise. :)

I do my reps with really slow negatives and positives, but eventhough I know that's how I should be doing them, that's the only way I CAN do them. The weight/intensity I use is just so much that it takes me a minute to actually perform each rep. You think that's asking for trouble?

MaDmaN

MaDmaN

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Wow, you're from the Ma. area? :)

If the ANBC were to pay attention to who's on and who's really natty, I would've waited and kept competing there.. Sucks when I was in better condition for natty shows, and I'd lose to known juicers, but I'm not bitter, I'm on the same field now.. ;)

Thanks for the props, brother.. I finally got my deadlift back to where I want it for now (did 405 for 3 solid reps yesterday), so it's all uphill from here.. :D

Awsome Pete 405 Deads for 3 that's great...Im doing them every other back workout about once every 2 weeks seems to give me a good balance and time to recoup between deadlift sessions..I love them and always did.I do believe this excercise is underated as far as overall mass goes..IF I had to pick one lift for the whole body it would be deadlift over the squat.Hey The USBF has a show in Seekonk Mass in October seems like a better federation as fas as allowing competitors in..They only do a piss test day of the show..I did juice in my twenties but the ANBC is lifetime drug free.I know the owner of the ANBC Bob Gormly personaly and worked out in his gym so he know's I did juice 20 years ago but lifetime is lifetime and I don't qualify,my only point is lifetime drug free is limiting the amount of competitors in a dying sport and seeing only 2 competitors in a big show does not make sense to me. Dam i was a 300 pound fat slob a year ago certainly no lingering effects of Sustenon 250 twenty years ago..

PS: Im just over the Border in Northern Rhode Island

bigpetefox

bigpetefox

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Cool, my g/f is from RI so I'm in the area quite often.. ;)

Jergo: You'll get outta the rut no problem.. What is it about bench that sucks for you? Not a strong point? Can't pass a certain weight? There's alot to adding weight, getting over the mental aspect, things like that.. Which is why I wrote this thread.. I'd like to go to gyms where guys from here train, and work with each of you nutcases.. :p

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, basically it's just hard for me to progressivley keep adding weight each time. And like was said, most of it is mental...

PC1

Hey Big Pete..........

Nice read, an excellent reminder. Thanks. And you're looking great in your avatar bro, keep up the great work!

bigpetefox

bigpetefox

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Hey Big Pete..........

Nice read, an excellent reminder. Thanks. And you're looking great in your avatar bro, keep up the great work!
Thanks alot, brother! :thumbsup:

It's not very often I write things like this, but when I do I have the best interest of gaining as much solid mass as possible. I try to keep it simple, and not bogged down with scientific stuff, I'm not that smart.. ;)

Glad you guys like it.. Jergo, clear your thoughts before the lift.. Imagine it's lighter than you think, imagine you've already hit 10 reps on it, and you just need 8 more.. Works for me.. If focus is an issue, I got an extra bottle of Cerebro for ya.. :D

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
Hehe, I'm gonna work on it. "The force is with you my friend." R2D2 screams...lol..

NPursuit

Awards
  • Established
I enjoy reading your useless training threads Pete. I'm sure everyone can get something out of this thread. Even if it's just a reminder, or maybe something to think about the next time you are getting ready for a heavy lift.

Jergo - I hear ya bro, my bench has always been my most frustrating exercise. If I ever figure it out, I'll be sure to pass the information on to ya. ;)