Deadlifts-from the floor or from the rack???

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
I'm starting to think that deadlifts from the rack might be less harmful and more beneficial. When I first got back into deadlifts, I got up 455 for 6 reps from the rack. I decided that I was probably cheating myself and I changed it up to starting from the ground and recently worked myself back up to 455 for a last set of 4. However, I have a much better form when I start from the rack, I can stay strict the entire time, and I don't feel like I'm going to **** my spleen out on the first rep. Hell, I can even start from the rack, stop completely at the bottom and still come back up with better form that just starting from the bottom directly.

I'm reading that a lot of the pros start from the rack now also, Cutler for one. So, basically, what I'm asking here is what do you guys prefer? And for what reasons? And is there any scientific evidence as which one is more beneficial for you (mainly for Bobo and IA on this particular question)?

Last edited:
RobInKuwait

RobInKuwait

Awards
  • Established
From the ground, on a platform! It doesn't make sense to me to limit your range of motion. Deadlifts off a rack is like only going halfway down on squats.

Deano

Awards
When you have back problems starting from the rack can be very helpfull, IA got me started doing these and my back problems have subsided considerably. I too can use MUCH better form from the rack. Remember, this is a sport for the long haul and you need your back to be healthy. To anyone that has not tried them i suggest you do, you might be surprised how they feel.
Dean-o

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
Rack (partial deads) cant be compared to half squats. Deadlift and deads from a rack (just below the knees) are two seperate exercise IMO. Some perform full deadlifts on leg day and rack deadlifts on back day. You're only taking the involvement of your hamstrings, and lower body when taking it from the rack. You're not sacrficing the musles of your back being involved. If you're choosing between the two, pick regular deadlift. However, dont knock rack (partial deads) b.c it's an effective alternative to really kill the back. Besides, you're able to pull more weight with partials so thats even more emphasis on the back muscles.
Sage

Dan

Awards
I think Sage hit the nail on the head with that one, say no more :)

bigsquid

Awards
Well, are you talking about doing straight rack deads or partials like sage described (if I read your post right) or just lifting the weight off of a rack and doing full range deads?
If it's partials I agree with sage, but if your doing full deads and just starting your reps at the top instead of the bottom I also prefer this method. In fact I can't think of any other exercise that starts at the bottom, so why should deadlifts? jmo though.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
yeah, that's basically what i was implying. starting from the top and doing full range deadlifts, the only difference being that you start from the top.

iron addict

Banned
Awards
  • Established
If I am reading this right Beez, it sounds as if all you are trying to do is remove the starting point of the lift from the floor to lockout. Because when starting from the top, you begin with the stretch reflex that allows you to get the weight moving off the floor easier. Your real problem here is no doubt that your sticking point is on the floor, and it makes it seem as if getting the first rep moving is about to cause an aneurysm. This is a pretty common problem.

Here are a few solutions:

Do at least one set every other workout where you do EVERY rep PAUSED at the floor--no touch and go!

Start doing a few variations of Good-Mornings.

Box-SQUAT!!

Doing these things will help move your sticking point from the floor which will make that first make or break rep happen.

Iron Addict

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
Cool deal. I was thinking something a little similar but not exactly. I was thinking of switching up each week, like this week start from top, next week start from bottom. The bottom doesn't really bother me, the main debate I had in mind was is there really a difference in the two? I know starting from the bottom is harder but does it offer any other real benefits that starting from the top doesn't? My deadlift gains aren't halted at all, they're going up rather consistently actually. Just wanted some opinions on if there was any difference other than the usual "start from the bottom because that's the way everyone does 'em." Not directed at you IA.

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
Iron, good pointing out the possiblity of a sticking point being the problem. Beez, sorry for misunderstanding your question of taking the weight off the rack and doing partial deads. In my eyes, there wouldnt be a difference between the benefits of starting off the floor or on the rack.... except that you're doing one less rep from the bottom up. I know on deads, my sticking point is the lock out (top half). IA, what would you suggest it breaking through this barrier? I've hit partials due to this... helped somewhat. I do have a lower back that can be strengthen so the solution might be quite easy.
Sage

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
Iron, good pointing out the possiblity of a sticking point being the problem. Beez, sorry for misunderstanding your question of taking the weight off the rack and doing partial deads. In my eyes, there wouldnt be a difference between the benefits of starting off the floor or on the rack.... except that you're doing one less rep from the bottom up. I know on deads, my sticking point is the lock out (top half). IA, what would you suggest it breaking through this barrier? I've hit partials due to this... helped somewhat. I do have a lower back that can be strengthen so the solution might be quite easy.
Sage
it's cool bro, my fault for not figuring it out sooner. anywho, i'll stick to my plan for now alternating it each week since there seems to be no real difference in either.

oldfart

oldfart

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
But if you are doing deadlifts to build back why even bother doing them from the floor?

The bottom half is mainly quad work is it not? Don't you risk overtraining your quads doing this sort of quad work on your back day?

My quads are barely making it from one leg day to the next (2 per week).

Doesn't it make sense to do deads from the rack in this case? My back gains shouldn't suffer should they?

Just wondering.

Manu20

Manu20

Superman
Awards
  • Established
For the rack deadlifts, the racks ya'll use, about how high is the bar above the ground when resting on the rack, so I know how high to adjust the rack to.

SureShot

SureShot

Awards
  • Established
mid shin is where i put the pins when doing rack deads, although i havent done them in a while, i prefer pulling from the floor

Basso

Basso

Awards
  • Established
I concur, you need more speed work also! The start of the lift is the hardest part, hence the name deadlift, getting speed off the bottom is crucial, by starting at the top you are not truely lifting a dead weight. You may want to lighten the load and work on speed, blast the weight off the floor, also doing them off a plate. Also don't sit to long at the bottom on the first rep, get your hands on, squat down and pull, the longer your down the less stretch reflex you will have.

If I am reading this right Beez, it sounds as if all you are trying to do is remove the starting point of the lift from the floor to lockout. Because when starting from the top, you begin with the stretch reflex that allows you to get the weight moving off the floor easier. Your real problem here is no doubt that your sticking point is on the floor, and it makes it seem as if getting the first rep moving is about to cause an aneurysm. This is a pretty common problem.

Here are a few solutions:

Do at least one set every other workout where you do EVERY rep PAUSED at the floor--no touch and go!

Start doing a few variations of Good-Mornings.:bow28: All hail the Good morning, it's the master key to DL's and Squats!

Box-SQUAT!!

Doing these things will help move your sticking point from the floor which will make that first make or break rep happen.

Iron Addict

Basso

Basso

Awards
  • Established
But if you are doing deadlifts to build back why even bother doing them from the floor?

The bottom half is mainly quad work is it not? Don't you risk overtraining your quads doing this sort of quad work on your back day?

My quads are barely making it from one leg day to the next (2 per week).

Doesn't it make sense to do deads from the rack in this case? My back gains shouldn't suffer should they?

Just wondering.
It depends on what you want! DL's are a whole body lift and will stimulate growth everywhere. If your trying to just work your back, then I wouldn't concentrate to much on DLs. Since I'm an Old Fart too I know how you feel, I've actually gone to DLing every other week and sometimes once every 3 weeks. On non DL days I do GMs, GMs and some more GMs and of course GHRs always!

MiKeY ReSp

Awards
  • Established
Hey Beelz just wondering on EXACTLY how you perform your regular deads as well as your rack deads...On regular deads do you "touch and go" or completely let the bar pause before pulling? On rack deads? Sorry for the q...but from the looks of your avy as wel l as your training log you seem to be doing them right! I wouldn't change them a bit..I'd rather see improvements in my regular deads as opposed to rack deads.

guyfromkop2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
you should reset each rep, it's a lot harder

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
damn, this is an old ass thread, lol. on racks, i have a complete pause at the bottom to make sure i'm getting no bounce out of the hole. on regular deads, i don't pause but i don't bounce either. i just lightly touch the floor, then back up. although, i would recommend everyone to reset at the bottom. JMO.

note: at the time of this thread, i was barely learning what a deadlift was and didn't know the difference between starting from the floor or rack. nowadays, i start from the bottom on full ranges and racks.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Don't worry Beelze, even He-Man had to adjust to his powers. This is just like the first time you and I lit a few candles, put on some Journey and just kicked it. A little awkward at first, we lacked technique, but by god the passion was there. And that's all that matters.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
i have no idea what you're talking about.......:run: