Favorite Exercises for Tri Development?

FlawedGrunt

FlawedGrunt

Awards
  • Established
For some reason my arms seem to lack in the tricep department and its not that they dont have some mass but they dont grow any "wider"? What do you guys feel is the best exercise to hit overall tricep development other than deadlifts of course

FlawedGrunt

FlawedGrunt

Awards
  • Established
Or I should say what have you guys seen the best growth from... and not just what you think is the best! haha

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I personally like some bench dips with my feet kicked up on another bench.. on and a stack of 45's racked on my junk.

FubarFit

Awards
A drop down set of overhead dumbell presses always kills me I usually drop down 15 pounds each time and try to get 8 reps then drop and do 15pounds less for 8 until i get to 20 pounds which should be hard as **** to squeez out. USE A SPOTTER and do it for 3 sets.

JerseyDrew77

JerseyDrew77

Awards
Close grip bench presses. And when I say close, I mean having your hands just a thumb length apart.

beastybean

beastybean

Awards
  • Established
For some reason my arms seem to lack in the tricep department and its not that they dont have some mass but they dont grow any "wider"? What do you guys feel is the best exercise to hit overall tricep development other than DEADLIFTS of course
stop doing deadlifts for triceps

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
For some reason my arms seem to lack in the tricep department and its not that they dont have some mass but they dont grow any "wider"? What do you guys feel is the best exercise to hit overall tricep development other than deadlifts of course
For me - Weighted Dips and Flat Close-Grip Barbell Bench Press.

~Rosie~

kanakafarian

kanakafarian

Awards
Heavy close-grip bench and heavy overhead dumbell presses for me.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Close grip bench, Weighted Dips, and overhead EZ bar french presses (in conjunction with the other 2). Tried reverse grip bench on a smith machine and hated it. Flat ez bar seems like a waste to me, but different strokes... Tri pulldowns on lat bar or cables also seemed like a waste in hindsight.

Hawk

Hawk

Awards
  • Established
Dips (weighted if need be)

I did 4 sets of cable pull downs with the rope a few days ago and felt really good afterward. It's one of the only lifts where I actually lock out my arm because I really flex the hell out of my tris when I pull the rope apart.

Kind of like this guy:
YouTube - Cable Rope Pull Down / Tear Apart for Big, Toned, Arms & Triceps

**NOTE: I can't hear what he's saying and I stand closer to the rope so it comes straight down, slight break at the knees.**

Last edited:
Docmattic

Docmattic

Awards
  • Established
My tri's used to suck pretty bad. I have added a lot to them by doing full body dip>pushdown superset. I do three sets, three times a week. Its worked wonders.

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
Good old rope cable pulldowns, rope over head extensions, and probably the most under-rated tricep exercise is the dumbell kickback. It's not just for girls!

FubarFit

Awards
Yeah it is lol they look good doin it guys look gay. Anyways I would go heavy then light so earlier I said drop down set overhead press then do drop downs for skull crushers, then I like to do supersets underhand cable pulldown and overhand press down 8-12 reps each really gets the blood flowing and pumping.

anoopbal

Awards
Pick one over-head and another a push. Both emphasizes different heads.

CountryLiftin

CountryLiftin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
DB overhead extensions, kickbacks, dips, pulldowns w/ preacher bar and cables, SS incline DB press w/ close grip pushups.

have fun, mix those up^ plus the other ones mentioned before are all good as well. I find kickbacks with a cable to be fantastic to cap off your workout, and finish burning out after hittin heavier weights for tris.

Steelwolf

Steelwolf

Awards
  • Established
I dont really do much direct work and tris are one of my best parts from all of my pressing.

Hrdgainer7

Hrdgainer7

Awards
Forcibly pronating your hand when your doing a tricep exercise is supposed to target the outer portion of the muscle. You might be able to add some width by concentrating on the outer portion if you don't already. Cable tricep push-downs with a rope are good for this.

I've read that doing dips with your palms facing outward is supposed to help with the outer portion of the muscle as well. However, this one sounds very painful and awkward. Can't imagine it would be good on the shoulders

FlawedGrunt

FlawedGrunt

Awards
  • Established
Shxt! I got options!

Thanks guys! I tried to do a variation of the JM press with DB at home tonight and i actually really liked it, would liked to try it with a BB

im thinking about trying the push and pull tri superset idea, ive always done opposite body part supersets chest/bi's back/tris so ill have to try the same body part idea

rhoadx

Awards
  • Established
heavy reverse grip bench presses in a smith machine, and slow negatives on your skullcrushers.

BatCountry

BatCountry

Awards
Hawk thanks for sharing the video. I have found that keeping the rope splayed apart has made a big difference for me but i was keeping it apart all the way through the range of motion. One thing that the guy is doing however is holding his shoulders forward and thus putting a lot of upper body weight on the rope. Most can do the whole stack that way. What i have found recently (and this is just probably proper technique to begin with) is to keep the shoulders back throughout the whole range. The weight came way down but i get the best pump ever on these. I can feel the whole back of the arm swell, right up to the elbow. I still arch my shoulders forward and do the stack for variation sometimes but this one i feel works best for me and everyone iv'e introduced to it says the same.

BatCountry

BatCountry

Awards
Hawk thanks for the reps and i just got back from trying this out at the gym. It really rocks the medial head but you can feel it everywhere in the long and lateral heads too. It really made me feel like every other tricep workout i have ever done has been a waste.
Highly recommend this :yup:

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Oh, I totally forgot about close grip decline bench. I do it with two fingers outside the outer gritting (so two fingers between the outer gritting and the middle gritting on the barbell) from each hand. It blasts parts of my triceps like nothing else. I've heard it compared to dips, and I can kind of see the comparison, but I don't know.

FittTitt

Awards
Good old rope cable pulldowns, rope over head extensions, and probably the most under-rated tricep exercise is the dumbell kickback. It's not just for girls!
Holy s!@# dumbbell kickbacks = awesome, i didn't even know people considered them more of a female exercise lol :ponder: