Need help with a new 5x5 routine

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
I'm gonna be junping back on a cycle in another week or two and am needing help with a 5x5 routine. Mainly from folks that are experienced with it. My routine needs changed up drasticly.

I've been using an HIT style routine for the last 5 or so months. I've was basically using a 3-day split. And only doing 1-2 excercises/BP. And sets were no more than 2 or 3. Reps were geared towards the 4-6 rep range.

My goals right now is to still build strength and then the size will also follow. My body has a harder time gaining strength than most but when it is gained size comes along with it fairly easily.

What would you guys suggest? I only wanna be doing one excercise/ bodypart since I'll be doing 5 sets and I tend to overtrain easily if not careful.

My split design would be Sunday: chest, tri's Tuesday: back/bis Thursday: delts, deads, and legs (usually leg presses)

Does that still seem okay? I want to lay off of Flat BB for a while and also switch up my tricep excercises. I've been doing close grips for some time now and am looking for a good strength builder for the 5x5 routine. So, I'll probably go with inclines and I'm still confused for what to go with for tri's.

BB rows also will have to go. They've plateaued for a while now. Chins might still stay though, I dunno. Bicep excercises will have to go high rep however. I don't wanna risk tearing my tendons up again this run. They'll have to be in the 10-12 rep range. So how many sets do you think I should do then?

Delts are being trained with military's for awhile now. I could still stick to them, but am open for any suggestions for a different excercise. Deads are still good to go. As well as leg presses.

So basically just an outline of what I'm seeking help for:

-------------
5x5 routine
-------------
1. Need help with split layout
2. Need different tricep exc for strength
3. Need different back exc for strength. Should I stick to chins?
4. Have to use 10-12 reps for biceps; how many sets do you think I should do then?
5. Delts will be needing a new exc also, what do you suggest? Military's are starting to plateau.

Thanks everbody...

iron addict

Banned
Awards
  • Established
-------------
5x5 routine
-------------
1. Need help with split layout
2. Need different tricep exc for strength
3. Need different back exc for strength. Should I stick to chins?
4. Have to use 10-12 reps for biceps; how many sets do you think I should do then?
5. Delts will be needing a new exc also, what do you suggest? Military's are starting to plateau.

Thanks everbody...
1. The split is just fine. Keep it.
2. If you are only doing one tricep move you want something that hits all three heads. Dips or reverse grip smith BP's fill the bill here.
3. Change the recruitment pattern on the chins and you should be good to go. Try them with a neutral grip and you should be quite pleased :thumbsup:
4. 1-5 depending on rest periods. If you just want more size, use cumulative failure. 5 sets of 8 reps, Strength, 1-2 sets as heavy as possible for 8 reps with 4minutes rest between back, or your first bicep set.
5. Hammer strength from presses, or dumbell presses, or 1 15/30 rest-pause lateral raise set. Don't think that last one could work?? Try it!

Iron Adddict

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
1. The split is just fine. Keep it.
2. If you are only doing one tricep move you want something that hits all three heads. Dips or revdrse grip smith BP's fill the bill here.
3. Change the recruitment pattern on the chins and you should be good to go. Try them with a neutral grip and you should be quite pleased :thumbsup:
4. 1-5 depending on rest periods. If you just want more size, use cumulative failure. 5 sets of 8 reps, Strength, 1-2 sets as heavy as possible for 8 reps with 4minutes rest between back, or your first bicep set.
5. Hammer strength from presses, or dumbell presses, or 1 15/30 rest-pause lateral raise set. Don't think that last one could work?? Try it!

Iron Adddict

Thanks again man...that's exactly what I was looking for. A couple questions though, when you say a "neutral" grip for my chins, what does that mean? Just like shoulder width?

And could you briefly explain the 15/30 rest pause lat raise set? It seems everybody does their rest pause's differently and I can't remember how you advocate it. And is that rest-pause by itself or accompanied with another movement with a different excercise?

Thanks brother...

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
Thanks again man...that's exactly what I was looking for. A couple questions though, when you say a "neutral" grip for my chins, what does that mean? Just like shoulder width?

And could you briefly explain the 15/30 rest pause lat raise set? It seems everybody does their rest pause's differently and I can't remember how you advocate it. And is that rest-pause by itself or accompanied with another movement with a different excercise?

Thanks brother...
BUMP, BUMP, BUMP :hammer: :whip:

VanillaGorilla

Awards
  • Established
I would drop the leg presses for squats.

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
I would drop the leg presses for squats.

Yeah, but I can't do squats. I have a piece of cartilage thats floating around in my knee cap. And at times it will get lodged in a funny position and I won't be able to bend or totally starighten my leg at all. Squating only makes this problem worse.

Since I've made the switch, I haven't noticed any less growth from the presses anyhow. On top of that, the way my split is layed out, if I'm doing deads and squats on the same days, I get OT'ed....

Anyways, I started my routine yesterday and I really enjoyed the change of things. I was able to pump out my 5 sets of curls w/o any tendon problems whatsoever. My upper lats are sore as hell from doing the 5 sets of chins. So far, I'm diggin' it...

VanillaGorilla

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, but I can't do squats. I have a piece of cartilage thats floating around in my knee cap. And at times it will get lodged in a funny position and I won't be able to bend or totally starighten my leg at all. Squating only makes this problem worse.
Damn that sucks. How did that happen?

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
Damn that sucks. How did that happen?

Yeah I know. :lol: I'm pretty sure I did it in H.S. football, but I'm not certain. After wearin' my knees out so much over time, the piece of cartilage just finally got so inflamed one day at work it just fell off and got lodged in funny and I fell right on my ass. All I was doing was walking.

My Father has bad problems with his joints and arthritis. I think Ill be following him in his footsteps.

iron addict

Banned
Awards
  • Established
A neutral rip chin or pulldown is with palms facing EACH OTHER.

A 15/30 rest-pause set is hitting failure at 15 reps and rest-pausing to 30. The sets after failure should all have at least 3 reps except maybe the last one.

Iron Addict