Best training style for quad size??

Hellhound

Awards
I have read just about enough BS from self proclaimed experts, boasting that their brand of voodoo/jedi mind trick training is the best and only method of building quad size. I want your opinion of what works for you! At 5' 9" and 190lbs my quads are only 24" (and thats with A pump) I think thats pretty small, isnt it??? So if you have had to change your training to overcome your hindering legs, and seem to have found something that helps, I am looking for any suggestions. And so you dont have to ask, yes I squat, my leg routine revolves around squats! :frustrate

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
20 rep squats rest pause method, nothing better.

VanillaGorilla

Awards
  • Established
squats, squats, more squats, and some deadlifts. Allot of people on here like the twenty rep ones. IMO You are better off save the 20 rep for when you are cutting up. I have always gotten better results with the 5 to 10 rep range for leg size any ways.

TooL

Awards
Trial and Error. What works for some might not work for you. Try them all and dont be in such a hurry. Thats what will set you back.

TooL

DougMan

Awards
Trial and Error. What works for some might not work for you. Try them all and dont be in such a hurry. Thats what will set you back.

TooL
That is the truest thing ever said, yet one of the hardest to accept.

But as far as personal experience, I like to mix it up. 20 rep squats are a b*tch no doubt, but I think I respond better to low reps. But squats are definitely the way to go. Just make sure you are going atleast parallel.

Hellhound

Awards
Thanks guys, so do I squat 20 reps for all sets??

:think: Just thinking of givin' the old 20 rep squat A try. BUT do I complete say 4 sets of 20, or A couple sets of maybe 8-10, then end with A 20 rep set?? Oh yeah, no one mentioned if they thought 24" for my quads was small. I would be interested to know how other members of similar height and weight measure up?? ANYONE???? :whip:

Wreck

Awards
1 set of 20 reps, don't put the weight down but you should have to stop to catch your breath several times during the set (leave the weight on your shoulders). Should take several minutes to complete.

cr4ytonic

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
One set of 20 rep squats after my heaviest set seems to work well for me, no evidence as to why though.