Building up the lower inner "cleavage" part of the chest?

tommy36p

Awards
I am seeking advice on what people would consider to be the most effecient way to build the lower inner part of the chest? I'm not exactly sure if there is a specific lift built to train that part of the chest, but I have been doing close-grip bench. Any advice would be helpful. I would say that is my worst feature on me. Thanks guys!:frustrate

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
Chest muscles aren't built that way bro. There's 3 areas to the chest muscle, upper, middle, and lower. There are no inner and outer chest muscles. Genetics may have a hand in this. Maybe, just change your routine up and see how it goes.

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
Beez is right, you got the genes or not, but I think I know what your talking about. I notice when I do butterflies on a flat bench that it helps. But, you must cris-cros the weights at the top a few inches in, if that makes sense.

cr4ytonic

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
There is no "inner" and "outer" but it seems the bigger my chest gets in general the better the inner part (I guess that is common-sensical). That said, I love dumbell chest flies (feels like it expands my chest some too) and cable flies.

Decline dumbells seem to work wonders in general.

Dan

Awards
Maybe try some cable crossovers doing half reps at the end half of the ROM. cr4ytonic has something there too; decline db presses should help as well. Just remember, on some people this part of the chest is genetically not as thick as the rest of the chest.

tommy36p

Awards
Sweet info...thanks for the help. I will put some of that in my routine & see how it goes.

jjjd

Awards
  • Established
beez is right. there is no way to preferentially emphasize a different section of a muscle fiber.

and the fibers run across the chest. there is no way to preferentially hypertrophy a muscle near the origin or insertion. simply physiologically impossible, at least based on current theory

fwiw, there are also only TWO discrete parts of the chest muscle, not three

dickwootton

Awards
  • Established
beez is right. there is no way to preferentially emphasize a different section of a muscle fiber.

and the fibers run across the chest. there is no way to preferentially hypertrophy a muscle near the origin or insertion. simply physiologically impossible, at least based on current theory

You are correct sir. Because msucle fiber operates on the all or none principle.
Dick

DougMan

Awards

If you ever wondered what they are look at a picture of franco columbo doing a front chest pose (the one with the arms pressed against the side).

Dan

Awards
Although this really doesn't matter as far as training goes, the split in the chest that you see is the separation between the sternal and the clavicular heads of the pec major (just like you can see a split in the 2 heads of the bi's in some BBers), while the pec minor lies underneath the clavicular head of the pec major. A major misconception is that the split seen is the divide between the pec major and the pec minor, but its not.

jjjd

Awards
  • Established
but one CAN (as EMG studies have proven, and bbers have known for years) preferentially emphasize the upper or lower pecs. they have different innervations, and one CAN train to preferentially emphasize one or the other.

whereas in the case discussed here, with "inner pecs" one cannot

Hellhound

Awards
Try weighted parrellel bar dips (leaning forward)

I found that doing this exercise (in addition to my regular chest routine) really helped beef up my lower chest, which in turn seemed to emphasize the lower cleavage area, especially when hitting A most muscular pose. You have to make an effort to lean forward when you do the exercise, or your triceps are going to do most of the work. Also use enough weight to keep the reps down and be sure to lower yourself as low as possible, your armpit should be close to the bars! Worked for me anyway! :thumbsup:

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
well, dips to put more stress on the pecs should be always done with a slight lean. A more upright plane of motion is utilized to isolate the triceps a bit more. Closer grip for tris. A wider grip for the chest. Good tip brother... but nothing new. ;)
Sage