HIT training(High intensity training) - AnabolicMinds.com

HIT training(High intensity training)

1. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  189 lbs.

HIT training(High intensity training)

Just wondering how many people use this style of training, made popular by Dorian yates, i switched to this training style about one year ago and have made tremendous progress, and the workouts are literally half the time of my old volume marathon workouts. In my gym however i do not know anyone that trains this style, figured id post and see who else out there likes/dislikes it and if they made progress from switching styles as well.

2. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  189 lbs.

By high intensity training i mean training until failure, usually one or two warmup sets and then hitting the muscle until failure, then cheating or having a spot help get a couple up and emphasizing the negative until the negative cannot be controlled anymore. I cannot post a link until i have more post but if you youtube dorian yates chest and biceps you will see the video of him training some European fellows in this style.
  3. New Member
    Stats
    6'4"  225 lbs.

I do this sometimes. Usually, I'll keep a second (or more) set of dumbbells close by to do drop sets with each going to absolute failure, or supersetting into isolation move to finish it off. Definitely a good way to train for bulking as it keeps volume down and hypertrophy up.
    •   

4. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  189 lbs.

Just curious, did you log your drop sets? I find it would be incredibly hard to keep track week to week
  5. New Member
    Stats
    6'4"  225 lbs.

Nope. I just started with a weight I thought I could handle around 8 times and moved down the line from there. If you're going to lift this way, using the pulley machines can be really handy. I wouldn't do it all the time, but every now and then it's great. Also, this only works for me when doing full body routines. If I used a body building split, it would be around a 5-10 minute workout.
  6. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  189 lbs.

Sounds interesting,
  7. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  155 lbs.

I would also start off with a weight the heaviest i can lift comfortably whilst keeping form then drop the weight about 3 times, all reps are up to 8. then for sets 2 and 3 i would try to lift the heaviest weight i could for 8 reps. Should i also be drop-setting on the 2nd and 3rd set and will this type of training increase muscles size or would it be more aimed at strength and endurance. ps i love it i get a really good pump out of this.
  8. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  189 lbs.

Dropsets do give a god like pump, ps FittTitt ive never met anyone who is 5'9 and weighs 70lbs But it must be an impressive sight. haha
  9. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  155 lbs.

llf i never even realised that was set to 70lbs that made me lol
  10. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.

Have been using Blood and Guts for around 2 months now.. I've seen some awesome gains in size and strength, but now I'm plateauing..
  11. New Member

This is a good tool in your bodybuilding arsenal, shake things up, try different styles! Though with this I dont think you can have a fixed training schedule. as in as you progressively overload, you take a lot more time to recover fully for your next workout.
    Ectomorphworkout.org -> discover how I went from benching a weightless bar to 265lbs
  12. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'1"  213 lbs.

Favorite Style Training!

I just recently started doing a version of HIT as well it's so intense, I just warm up then start with the weight i did last week to get more reps or try more weight and go to failure then drop-set without any rest until i'm barely lifting anything. Takes about 2minutes but afterwards i'm GLAD i don't have anymore sets. It's only been 2 weeks and my strength is going up and my appetite started skyrocketing. I went from training 2-2.5hours a day with ridiculous amounts of sets to 45-60minutes but those 45-60minutes are pure HELL. I'm currently on a cut too and my weight has been pegged at 235 but i'm getting noticeably leaner. Really excited to see how this does when i start another bulk. This week i'm gonna start giving pre-exhaustion a shot and see how it goes.
    I hope everybody thinks i'm crazy, because you cannot be a sane person and go through the type of pain i am willing to put myself through to be where i want to be, Once I completely win the war between my mind and body, my reign will begin. ~Me
  13. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  155 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by thetinyguy View Post
    I'm currently on a cut too and my weight has been pegged at 235 but i'm getting noticeably leaner. Really excited to see how this does when i start another bulk. This week i'm gonna start giving pre-exhaustion a shot and see how it goes.
    Ive been doing pre exhaustion all week and it is a killer especially for my chest i do some pec deck flys to isolate the chest then hit the bench and im crying by the 3rd set i like this technique though i always change my rep techniques every 2 weeks just to keep training fresh.
  14. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'1"  213 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by FittTitt View Post
    Ive been doing pre exhaustion all week and it is a killer especially for my chest i do some pec deck flys to isolate the chest then hit the bench and im crying by the 3rd set i like this technique though i always change my rep techniques every 2 weeks just to keep training fresh.
    Gotta love it though! Especially when people are looking over at you going man i wish i had that kind of dedication
    I plan on doing Dumbbell fly's then incline bench, I wish my gym had a pec deck i like how you have resistance through the entire range, I could do cable cross-overs but i'm saving them for my bulk as well as deadlifts and barbell rows. I'll definitely post up how i feel after tomorrows chest/tricep HIT session to insight some people who maybe are contemplating HIT.
    I hope everybody thinks i'm crazy, because you cannot be a sane person and go through the type of pain i am willing to put myself through to be where i want to be, Once I completely win the war between my mind and body, my reign will begin. ~Me
  15. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

But how effective really is pre exhaustion at overloading and stimulating hypertrophy?

Well..

EFFECTS OF EXERCISE ORDER ON UPPER-BODY MUSCLE ACTIVATION AND EXERCISE PERFORMANCE.

ORIGINAL RESEARCH
    Journal of Strength & Conditioning Research. 21(4):1082-1086, November 2007.
    GENTIL, PAULO 1,2; OLIVEIRA, ELKE 2; DE ARAUJO ROCHA JUNIOR, VALDINAR 3; CARMO, JAKE DO 3; BOTTARO, MARTIM 3

Abstract:
    With the purpose of manipulating training stimuli, several techniques have been employed to resistance training. Two of the most popular techniques are the pre-exhaustion (PRE) and priority system (PS). PRE involves exercising the same muscle or muscle group to the point of muscular failure using a single-joint exercise immediately before a multi-joint exercise (e.g., peck-deck followed by chest press). On the other hand, it is often recommended that the complex exercises should be performed first in a training session (i.e., chest press before peck-deck), a technique known as PS. The purpose of the present study was to compare upper-body muscle activation, total repetitions (TR), and total work (TW) during PRE and PS. Thirteen men (age 25.08 = 2.58 years) with recreational weight-training experience performed 1 set of PRE and 1 set of PS in a balanced crossover design. The exercises were performed at the load obtained in a 10 repetition maximum (10RM) test. Therefore, chest press and peck-deck were performed with the same load during PRE and PS. Electromyography (EMG) was recorded from the triceps brachii (TB), anterior deltoids, and pectoralis major during both exercises. According to the results, TW and TR were not significantly different (p >= 0.05) between PRE and PS. Likewise, during the peck-deck exercise, no significant (p >= 0.05) EMG change was observed between PRE and PS order. However, TB activity was significantly (p <= 0.05) higher when chest press was performed after the peck-deck exercise (PRE). Our findings suggest that performing pre-exhaustion exercise is no more effective in increasing the activation of the prefatigued muscles during the multi-joint exercise. Also, independent of the exercise order (PRE vs. PS), TW is similar when performing exercises for the same muscle group. In summary, if the coach wants to maximize the athlete performance in 1 specific resistance exercise, this exercise should be placed at the beginning of the training session.
    So, pre exhaustion of the pecs via a fly exercise is actually resulting in a greater recruitment of the triceps, not the pecs, during chest pressing movements.

Ok, well, what about lower body, you ask?

J Strength Cond Res. 2003 May;17(2):411-6.
    Effect of pre-exhaustion exercise on lower-extremity muscle activation during a leg press exercise.

Augustsson J, Thomeé R, Hörnstedt P, Lindblom J, Karlsson J, Grimby G.

Department of Rehabilitation Medicine, Göteborg University, Göteborg, Sweden 41345. jesper.augustsson@rehab.gu.se
    Abstract

The purpose of this study was to investigate the effect of pre-exhaustion exercise on lower-extremity muscle activation during a leg press exercise. Pre-exhaustion exercise, a technique frequently used by weight trainers, involves combining a single-joint exercise immediately followed by a related multijoint exercise (e.g., a knee extension exercise followed by a leg press exercise). Seventeen healthy male subjects performed 1 set of a leg press exercise with and without pre-exhaustion exercise, which consisted of 1 set of a knee extension exercise. Both exercises were performed at a load of 10 repetitions maximum (10 RM). Electromyography (EMG) was recorded from the rectus femoris, vastus lateralis, and gluteus maximus muscles simultaneously during the leg press exercise. The number of repetitions of the leg press exercise performed by subjects with and without pre-exhaustion exercise was also documented. The activation of the rectus femoris and the vastus lateralis muscles during the leg press exercise was significantly less when subjects were pre-exhausted (p < 0.05). No significant EMG change was observed for the gluteus maximus muscle. When in a pre-exhausted state, subjects performed significantly (p < 0.001) less repetitions of the leg press exercise. Our findings do not support the popular belief of weight trainers that performing pre-exhaustion exercise is more effective in order to enhance muscle activity compared with regular weight training. Conversely, pre-exhaustion exercise may have disadvantageous effects on performance, such as decreased muscle activity and reduction in strength, during multijoint exercise.

PMID: 12741886 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

So, it may be fun and challenging, but then so is picking up girls at church..question is, am I really gonna get much at of her [it] in the end?

Br
  16. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'1"  213 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED View Post
    But how effective really is pre exhaustion at overloading and stimulating hypertrophy?

Well..

So, pre exhaustion of the pecs via a fly exercise is actually resulting in a greater recruitment of the triceps, not the pecs, during chest pressing movements.

So, it may be fun and challenging, but then so is picking up girls at church..question is, am I really gonna get much at of her [it] in the end?

Br
    Haha wow I've gotta give it to you for posting that thanks a lot, Ironically though for me i'm training chest and triceps tomorrow so my goal is to exhaust both my pec's and triceps My triceps seem to be lagging far behind my chest too so hopefully this will even it all out.
  17. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  155 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED View Post

Well..

Br
    Thanks a lot for this info muhaha further tweaking of my training regime. I know this thread is on HIT but what do some of you think of cluster sets or rest pause.
  18. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

I've used both, but don't have a lot of experience nor have i read a lot on either.

Clustering is great for deadlifts and olympics.

Thanks a lot for this info muhaha further tweaking of my training regime. I know this thread is on HIT but what do some of you think of cluster sets or rest pause.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Mike Mentzer's High Intensity Training
    By bigCountry000 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-18-2008, 09:34 AM
  2. High Intensity Training.
    By ch4zl33 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-21-2008, 09:10 AM
  3. Superdrol and High Intensity Training
    By olb in forum Anabolics