overtraining

shocknyou

shocknyou

Awards
My wife thinks I am overtraining simply because I was shaking when I finished. I disagree I just had a great workout. People overtrain all the time by doing too much too often. I train each muscle group twice a week averaging 10 to 12 sets per muscle group. I just started jogging again but I don't think I will be able to keep it up. I just don't have the time if I want to spend what I consider enough time with the wife and kids. The family is my number 1 priority!

ward5742

ward5742

Awards
  • Established
You are in a way. Your muscles need more time to rest. you should be working out most 4-5 days a week most.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It's not as much for your muscles as it is for your CNS.

Eizbear

Eizbear

Awards
  • Established
Good call on the family priority, can't agree with you more there!

About shaking after the workout, I do that to.. Well, it really depends on which musclegroup I train really...

But anyway, taking a week off once in a while ain't a bad thing, it will allow your body to fully recover and you'll be back stronger then before.. I prefer taking a recoveryweek after about 10-12 weeks.. Just be sure to eat good quality proteins and fats during this week...I can be really hard sometimes to remember to eat as much/correct during the time when you don't train...

shocknyou

shocknyou

Awards
Good call on the family priority, can't agree with you more there!

About shaking after the workout, I do that to.. Well, it really depends on which musclegroup I train really...

But anyway, taking a week off once in a while ain't a bad thing, it will allow your body to fully recover and you'll be back stronger then before.. I prefer taking a recoveryweek after about 10-12 weeks.. Just be sure to eat good quality proteins and fats during this week...I can be really hard sometimes to remember to eat as much/correct during the time when you don't train...
No worries there I do take a week off from time to time.

I disagree with the others that said I am overtraining simply because I know that my work schedule doesn't allow me to workout more that 5 days a week on a regular basis there are weeks where I get the 6 days I desire. I take time off at least every 2 months.

About the CNS statemnet that was made if you have research articles that I can read please advise. I can't say that I have ever read anything concerning that.

SRS2000

Awards
  • Established
A little shaking alone isn't enough information to know if you are overtraining or not. The actual research on "CNS fatigue" isn't specific enough to apply to a typically trainee following a reasonable program. The exercises and protocols are simply too different to make direct comparisons regular training. You can certainly get staleness or burnout or "CNS fatigue" or whatever you want to call it, it's just not entirely clear whether it's related to the CNS or not.
If you are working full time and still want time with your family I would look for a program that has you training 3 times a week instead of 5-6. You can still make good progress this way provided you set things up correctly and have more free time to do other things.

tubbednova

Awards
  • Established
I've just got done taking 2weeks off from overtraing.You will Know when your starting to overtrain.I thought i was for awhile and then all of a sudden my body started to shut down on me(fatigue.no energy,aches and pains all the time)and had to go to doctors it lowered my t-levels to below what a normal low level is.Listen to your body if you start getting fatigue though out the day you miight want to back off alot.Yesturday was my first date with the weights and i lost alot of strengh on my off time,so all that training i did for months upon months went :puke: Starting from scratch with some more wisdom and a new outlook.

cardiobro

cardiobro

Awards
In my opinion, you are not over training. I always shake post workout for a few hours, and i only do 3-5 working sets per muscle once a week. If your still making progress working each muscle 2x a week then **** it, rock on!

tubbednova

Awards
  • Established
Yesturday i worked back,bi's,and forearms now this is only my second day lifting (recovery)but when i was almost done im writing everything down (lb lifted)i could barely write because of shaking,i myself think its just the adrenal glands working like a crackhead with a fist full of fifties,i find if i start to cool down by streching or some light cardio it stops pretty fast.

lonewolf0420

lonewolf0420

Awards
  • Established
It's not as much for your muscles as it is for your CNS.
Words of wisdom.

OP, when you say shaking, what was shaking? The muscle group worked (like local muscle spasm) or whole body shaking?

Rebel29073

Rebel29073

Awards
Agree 100% on the fam deal! They grow up fast !

When I train arms hard they shake for a while after wards. I am in no way over training.

Over training is harder to accomplish than most realize. Listen to your body the next day and you should be able to tell if you are over training. Soreness= great, but pain= not so much. Over training typically results in lower performance. Make sure you get plenty of rest if training 5x a week and of course up your fluids.

Consider heavy training one day and light training another for similar muscle groups worked within a 7 day period.

FYI I don't practice what I preach at all as I rarely do a "light" training day, but I am much like you and feel I have to go to the gym 5x a week :\

Type O Hero

Type O Hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Yes, listen to your body. Train hard but make sure you get your rest when you need it. For example, recently I took a pretty big break (bigger break than I intended because my gym closed down for a week when I was planning on coming back) recently. I swear to you, my chest looks better right now than it's ever have before. With everything I know, I can't explain why it looks fuller. I think I've lost a little weight, but for some reason that break made me look better... Okay, I know that sounds weird as can be, but it happened. Beats me. Anyway, listen to your body and it pays off.

Also, there's a Jillian Michaels ad in front of me and... Damn... Why does she have to be so ugly? I mean, c'mon.... Damn!

Benedict

Benedict

Awards
Hi guys,..
I thinks overtraining is harmful one in the biggning stage but its good at the end to gain size,..

gsxr620

Awards
its hard to tell when your cnc if getting tierd if you do high intensity work close to your 1rm you will burn out faster higher reps arnt as bad on your cnc but also working every set till failer is pretty taxing on the body shaking could also be because you arnt eating enough good carbs b4 you go to the gym so there are alot of things to think about and when you are taking time off try to do some work at the gym dont just do nothing do a quarter what you would of done sont work till failer and keep it high reps lighter weights
straight bar most taxing dba lil less and the cables are the easyest on your body

that is one gay ass pic you have post above me and how could overtraining ever be good that doesnt make sence

tubbednova

Awards
  • Established
To really know if your overtraining,this is what i do check your resting heart rate every morning,more then 5bpm is usally a good sign,mine is around 43bpm but a low h/r can mean your overtrained for awhile.The best way (the heart rate thing is a pain at times)is your energy during the day and if your completing your w/o or losing strengh and most important injury.I had them all.Overtraining doesn't only hurt you outside but inside to (depression,anger,ect) and will lead to health problems.Trust me i know bad thyroid adrenenal burnout low t-level:tragedy:I say your far from overtraining but if you find yourself checking about overtraining more and starting to think you are more then chances are you are.Does that make any sense?It'll make ya retarded also!!lol(that was for me)