My proposed routine for you guys to rip apart, enjoy!

  1. IBE Representative
    Board Sponsor
    JBlaze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Gilbert, AZ
    Age
    30
    Posts
    2,558
    Rep Power
    8453

    My proposed routine for you guys to rip apart, enjoy!


    *Monday (Chest & Tris)*

    Incline DB Press-4 sets
    Dips-2 sets
    Skull crushers-2 sets
    Rope pushdowns-2 sets

    *Tues (Back & Biceps)*

    Wide Grip Chins-3 sets
    Barbell Rows-2 sets
    Barbell Curls-2 sets
    Dumbbell Spider curls-2 sets

    *Thurs (Shoulders & Abs)*

    Seated Dumbbell Press-3 sets
    Laterals raises-2 sets
    Cable crunch-2 sets
    Hanging leg raises-2 sets

    *Friday (Legs)*

    Squats-3 sets
    Stiff Legged Deadlifts-2 sets
    Leg Extensions-2 sets
    Standing Calf Raises-3 sets

    Stretches will be performed after each bodypart is trained.

    Cardio: 3x a week 45 minutes brisk walking first thing in the morning.
    Last edited by JonBlaze639; 07-07-2004 at 05:43 PM.

  2. IBE Representative
    Board Sponsor
    JBlaze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Gilbert, AZ
    Age
    30
    Posts
    2,558
    Rep Power
    8453

    Other Various stats:

    Age: 21
    Arm size: 17 1/4"
    Chest size: 46"
    Calf size: 15"
    Waist size: 33" (10% bf)
    Weight: 193
    Goals: 200lb at 9%
  3. Registered User
    VanillaGorilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    921
    Rep Power
    598

    It looks ok. I would throw in barbell rows for back though.
    •   
       

  4. IBE Representative
    Board Sponsor
    JBlaze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Gilbert, AZ
    Age
    30
    Posts
    2,558
    Rep Power
    8453

    Quote Originally Posted by VanillaGorilla
    It looks ok. I would throw in barbell rows for back though.
    In the place of T-bar rows?
  5. Dan
    Dan is offline
    Registered User
    Dan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Ontario
    Age
    29
    Posts
    137
    Rep Power
    192

    Looks pretty solid, but I noticed a couple things missing: no direct lower back work (yea, I know some people feel they don't need it), no forearm work, trap work, or posterior delt work. What exactly are spider curls? Do they work your brachioradialis and brachalais? If not then maybe you should throw in a couple sets of hammers or something. When training chest, I find that I don't really get any inner pec development from pressing movements, so I would throw in some cable crossovers. You might want to do more volume for your calves as well; they can take a beating.
  6. Jergo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Age
    33
    Posts
    1,436
    Rep Power
    0

    Okay, drop either the flat BB press or the DB inclines....just pick one or another. If you have to up the volume or something to account for it later on, then that's fine. LOL, I must post this 3 times/month: Your chest is one muscle, not seperate. It grows as a whole....doing both inclines and flats, won't do any more than one exc vs. both. If you need to bring up upper pecs, then use inclines, if not, then just stick to the flats. The only thing that determines the actual shape of the entire pectoral muscle is genetics...

    Also, drop out the rope pulldowns. The dips, skulls, and bench will be hitting your tri's enough...

    Tuesday's cool but I would still drop either the Tbar rows or the seated cables. If you're not progressing on your arms with that amount of sets then cut back, but I think you should be okay...

    Next, drop the front raises. Too much delt work there IMO. Your front delts will be getting hit from the flat BB presses you'll be doing anyways. Umm...and possibly cut back the sets of the DB presses from 3 to 2....

    On leg day, I would cut back your sets of squats and DL's to 2 MAX...
  7. Registered User
    size's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Bermuda
    Age
    42
    Posts
    4,233
    Rep Power
    2267

    Drop flat bench and add stretching
  8. Registered User
    jweave23's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  237 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    2,628
    Rep Power
    1459

    Quote Originally Posted by Jergo
    Okay, drop either the flat BB press or the DB inclines....just pick one or another. If you have to up the volume or something to account for it later on, then that's fine. LOL, I must post this 3 times/month: Your chest is one muscle, not seperate. It grows as a whole....doing both inclines and flats, won't do any more than one exc vs. both. If you need to bring up upper pecs, then use inclines, if not, then just stick to the flats. The only thing that determines the actual shape of the entire pectoral muscle is genetics...

    Also, drop out the rope pulldowns. The dips, skulls, and bench will be hitting your tri's enough...

    Tuesday's cool but I would still drop either the Tbar rows or the seated cables. If you're not progressing on your arms with that amount of sets then cut back, but I think you should be okay...

    Next, drop the front raises. Too much delt work there IMO. Your front delts will be getting hit from the flat BB presses you'll be doing anyways. Umm...and possibly cut back the sets of the DB presses from 3 to 2....

    On leg day, I would cut back your sets of squats and DL's to 2 MAX...
    Actually this is pretty much what I would have said for this type of split also

    I suppose you could do rear delt DB raises in place of front raises, or just drop them as Jergo said.

    And with dips in there I would also drop the flat bench.

    Are you doing spider curls with an EZ-bar? I'd stick to one bar and one DB curl exercise, JMO.
  9. IBE Representative
    Board Sponsor
    JBlaze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Gilbert, AZ
    Age
    30
    Posts
    2,558
    Rep Power
    8453

    Angry


    booo rear delts! My shoulders and tri's are already way too over developed compared to my biceps, they respond to high volume, yet my biceps do not. So i'd like to leave those the way they are.

    1) I will take out flat bench, and just do incline dumbbells and up the sets to 4.

    2) Also front raises have been removed. and Shrugs have been added.

    3) EZ spider curls have been switched to dumbbell spider curls

    4) barbell rows have been added in the place of tbar

    5) SLDL has been shortened by 1 set and 1 more set has been added to calves.

    6) stretches will be performed after each bodypart.

    How does it look now!?
  10. IBE Representative
    Board Sponsor
    JBlaze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Gilbert, AZ
    Age
    30
    Posts
    2,558
    Rep Power
    8453

    what do you think would be a good target range as far as how many reps per each set?

    Also will it be the same for everything? Which ones should i do higher reps on, and which one should i do lower.

    Thanks
  11. Dan
    Dan is offline
    Registered User
    Dan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Ontario
    Age
    29
    Posts
    137
    Rep Power
    192

    Personally I would change your rep scheme each week or every 2 weeks so that you are hitting different types of muscle fibers.
  12. Jergo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Age
    33
    Posts
    1,436
    Rep Power
    0

    Yeah, I like what Dan said....but I usually try to stick with 4-8 reps....you could be different though. I believe as does IA that legs respond better to higher reps such as 12-20 or so. Everything else would still be kinda see how you react, then decide...

    *Monday (Chest & Tris)*

    Incline DB Press-4 sets
    Dips-2 sets
    Skull crushers-2 sets
    Rope pushdowns-2 sets

    *Tues (Back & Biceps)*

    Wide Grip Chins-3 sets
    Barbell Rows-2 sets
    Seated Cable Rows-1 sets
    Barbell Curls-2 sets
    Dumbbell Spider curls-2 sets

    *Thurs (Shoulders & Abs)*

    Seated Dumbbell Press-3 sets
    Laterals raises-2 sets
    Shrugs-1 sets
    Cable crunch-2 sets
    Hanging leg raises-2 sets

    *Friday (Legs)*

    Squats-3 sets
    Stiff Legged Deadlifts-2 sets
    Leg Extensions-2 sets
    Standing Calf Raises-3 sets

    Stretches will be performed after each bodypart is trained.

    Cardio: 3x a week 45 minutes brisk walking first thing in the morning.
    Session 1: I would still take out the rope pushdowns, and reduce ALL sets to a maximum of two. I know it's hard to do, but as soon as I switched and raised intensity, I overall just felt better, had more energy, etc. Trust me, it will get the job done...

    Session 2: Again I would take out the Tbars, you already have the chins and the BB rows for the lats. IMO thats just a waste of 3 minutes.

    Session 3: Looks good, but I'd still reduce the military's to 2 sets. Since you're doing the lat raises. The shrugs still need to go as well. What are you actually trying to get out of them? Like are you trying for more trap growth or lat? It just seems unecessary to me is all.

    Session 4: Once again, I would take all sets down to 2 each. You can always up the volume if needed. Also, instead of doing the ext. 2 sets by themselves, I would use them as a superset immediately after your Squats....saves time....still does the damage needed, and you can basically kill 2 birds with one stone.

    LOL...I know it seems like a lot of changes, but IMO if you keep it simple, you can see what is working for you and what's not. And then of course you can always change things to address what needs addressed...

    If you want, I still have some more ideas with that split, so lemme know...
  13. IBE Representative
    Board Sponsor
    JBlaze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Gilbert, AZ
    Age
    30
    Posts
    2,558
    Rep Power
    8453

    Quote Originally Posted by Jergo
    Session 1: I would still take out the rope pushdowns, and reduce ALL sets to a maximum of two. I know it's hard to do, but as soon as I switched and raised intensity, I overall just felt better, had more energy, etc. Trust me, it will get the job done...
    My triceps respond better to higher intensity, thats why rope pushdowns need to stay. When i dropped my sets too low, i stopped adding any size to them.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jergo
    Session 2: Again I would take out the Tbars, you already have the chins and the BB rows for the lats. IMO thats just a waste of 3 minutes.
    GODDAMNIT! I will take out the 1 set of cable rows!
    Think i should add some forearm exercises? I really didn't have any because my forearms are pretty much a lost cause, i've tried everything!

    Quote Originally Posted by Jergo
    Session 3: Looks good, but I'd still reduce the military's to 2 sets. Since you're doing the lat raises. The shrugs still need to go as well. What are you actually trying to get out of them? Like are you trying for more trap growth or lat? It just seems unecessary to me is all.
    Again same thing as w/ triceps, my shoulders respond better to higher volume, so i can't reduce sets there. Shrugs have been knocked out though.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jergo
    Session 4: Once again, I would take all sets down to 2 each.
    No

    Quote Originally Posted by Jergo
    You can always up the volume if needed. Also, instead of doing the ext. 2 sets by themselves, I would use them as a superset immediately after your Squats....saves time....still does the damage needed, and you can basically kill 2 birds with one stone.
    Hmmmmm, ok i will give this a shot!
  14. Jergo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Age
    33
    Posts
    1,436
    Rep Power
    0

    Hehe, well at least I got you to drop some things....

    I think that will work pretty descent, and just give it a few weeks to see how things are. If you can disect each issue once you get things rolling, you'll be able to quickly identify the problem, fix it, then re-acess...know what I mean?

    Good luck man...let us know how it works out..
  15. Board Supporter
    zeromagnus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    189
    Rep Power
    237

    Is the number of sets not counting like 1 or 2 warm up sets? Or are you not even doing warm up sets? Seems like such a small number of sets, but I kinda like what Jergo said about raising the volume but keeping the number of sets the same...I might have to try it
  16. IBE Representative
    Board Sponsor
    JBlaze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Gilbert, AZ
    Age
    30
    Posts
    2,558
    Rep Power
    8453

    this does not include warm up sets.

    between warm ups, sets, breaks in between sets, and stretches, i should be in and out of there within 40-50 minutes.
  17. Registered User
    LCSULLA's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  197 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Washington
    Age
    42
    Posts
    1,760
    Rep Power
    1021

    No deads or rack pulls?
  18. IBE Representative
    Board Sponsor
    JBlaze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Gilbert, AZ
    Age
    30
    Posts
    2,558
    Rep Power
    8453

    i thought 8-10 rep range was optimal?
  19. Board Supporter
    DieTrying's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Age
    31
    Posts
    909
    Rep Power
    12957

    Quote Originally Posted by LCSULLA
    No deads or rack pulls?
    Hes got SLDL. A lot of people prefer them over regular deads. I personally don't like rack pulls.
  20. Registered User
    LCSULLA's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  197 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Washington
    Age
    42
    Posts
    1,760
    Rep Power
    1021

    I love rack pulls. Put the pin below the knee and PULL!
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-28-2013, 10:18 AM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-25-2010, 08:28 AM
  3. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10-05-2006, 03:14 PM
  4. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 05-01-2004, 02:58 PM
  5. Hello, my fello bro's! I have a few ?'s for you guys...
    By digitalmuscle in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-17-2003, 12:15 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in