Am I using too much weight on 45 degree leg presses?

  1. Am I using too much weight on 45 degree leg presses?


    First of all, yes I squat.

    I'm wondering if I'm using too much weight or doing something else wrong on 45 degree leg presses because at the bottom of each rep my ass and lower back comes off the pad and I basically curl up. Is this bad for my back? Should I lower the weight?

    It's a little difficult to explain, hopefully someone understands what I mean though.

    Thanks.


  2. Quote Originally Posted by Rock Lee
    First of all, yes I squat.

    I'm wondering if I'm using too much weight or doing something else wrong on 45 degree leg presses because at the bottom of each rep my ass and lower back comes off the pad and I basically curl up. Is this bad for my back? Should I lower the weight?

    It's a little difficult to explain, hopefully someone understands what I mean though.

    Thanks.
    That very reason is why I do wide stance leg press. I find it much better for form and it minimizes that back curl up.

  3. I understand and actually use the same form. It has never caused me any problems, so I continue to do it. This is much better than doing half-reps like most people do. I guess the analogy is for squating "ass to grass" and for leg pressing "knees to ears"
    •   
       


  4. Quote Originally Posted by Edge
    That very reason is why I do wide stance leg press. I find it much better for form and it minimizes that back curl up.
    In my case if you have any back aggrivation the positioning will aggrivate it even more. Be careful.

  5. Quote Originally Posted by Edge
    In my case if you have any back aggrivation the positioning will aggrivate it even more. Be careful.
    Very true. I have an old back injury that flares up every few years if I'm not careful. I have to use strict form on leg presses and make sure my back does not curl up. I go slow and controlled with a slight rest-pause at the bottom. My back tells me if I begin to get sloppy.

  6. I also try and go as wide as possible when I do leg presses (which reminds me, I haven't done those in like a year!). It may vary person-to-person, but I've found the only way I could get low enough for a good ROM with them was to use a wide stance (foot positioning).

    Talk about half-assing an exercise, I see the worst form of any exericse on this one machine at my gym, it's a mixtire of being hilarious and frustrating
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Am I doing too much for PCT for a PH Cycle?
    By SlowNSteady in forum Post Cycle Therapy
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 06-21-2007, 08:42 PM
  2. Too much stress on my liver?
    By Irish Cannon in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-05-2006, 10:44 PM
  3. Am I asking too much?
    By emilio in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-11-2006, 09:30 AM
  4. Too much going on?
    By Pioneer in forum General Chat
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-05-2006, 04:52 AM
  5. Losing to much weight on the face..
    By belbs75 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-24-2003, 11:37 PM
Log in
Log in