Am I using too much weight on 45 degree leg presses?

Rock Lee

Awards
First of all, yes I squat.

I'm wondering if I'm using too much weight or doing something else wrong on 45 degree leg presses because at the bottom of each rep my ass and lower back comes off the pad and I basically curl up. Is this bad for my back? Should I lower the weight?

It's a little difficult to explain, hopefully someone understands what I mean though.

Thanks. :)

Edge

Awards
First of all, yes I squat.

I'm wondering if I'm using too much weight or doing something else wrong on 45 degree leg presses because at the bottom of each rep my ass and lower back comes off the pad and I basically curl up. Is this bad for my back? Should I lower the weight?

It's a little difficult to explain, hopefully someone understands what I mean though.

Thanks. :)
That very reason is why I do wide stance leg press. I find it much better for form and it minimizes that back curl up.

DieTrying

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I understand and actually use the same form. It has never caused me any problems, so I continue to do it. This is much better than doing half-reps like most people do. I guess the analogy is for squating "ass to grass" and for leg pressing "knees to ears"

Edge

Awards
That very reason is why I do wide stance leg press. I find it much better for form and it minimizes that back curl up.
In my case if you have any back aggrivation the positioning will aggrivate it even more. Be careful.

Cuffs

Cuffs

Awards
  • Established
In my case if you have any back aggrivation the positioning will aggrivate it even more. Be careful.
Very true. I have an old back injury that flares up every few years if I'm not careful. I have to use strict form on leg presses and make sure my back does not curl up. I go slow and controlled with a slight rest-pause at the bottom. My back tells me if I begin to get sloppy.

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
I also try and go as wide as possible when I do leg presses (which reminds me, I haven't done those in like a year!). It may vary person-to-person, but I've found the only way I could get low enough for a good ROM with them was to use a wide stance (foot positioning).

Talk about half-assing an exercise, I see the worst form of any exericse on this one machine at my gym, it's a mixtire of being hilarious and frustrating :rofl: :frustrate