Help strengthen back!!!!

Technics

Technics

Awards
my major problem in lifting is my back and biceps, they have been at about the same strength for a year now, probably because im not squatting and deadlifting but still i should be gaining strength with these exercises:
Lat Pulldowns ALL 3 to 4 sets
Seated Rows
DB Rows

Sticks

Get big or die trying
Awards
  • Established
I think you answered your own question. If you want your back to grow then do deads. I'm pretty sure most elite bodybuilders do these two exercises.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
Sounds like you might need another free weight exercise. My routine that works for me is :
Deadlifts
Barbell rows or Dumbbell rows (if the dumbbells are big enough)
Cable rows
Lat Pulldowns

It switches every now and then but deadlifts are generally the staple of most back routines. ;)

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
6-8 reps for all working sets
T-Bar row for say 4 sets (2 warmups, 2 all out)
Pullups 2 sets
Chinups 1 set
Bent-over rows 3 sets (2 overhand 1 underhand)
Barbell/oly bar curls 2 sets
Dumbbell curls 2 sets (hammer or rotating from hammer to regular)
Horizontal rows: 2 sets
Cable biceps: 2 sets

That's a solid back/bicep day, trust me ;)

ManBeast

RobInKuwait

RobInKuwait

Awards
  • Established
For me, until recently, I always had weak lats. I couldn't do 1 pull up, and my V taper was more like a U taper. I did endless lat pulls, but I couldn't hit my lats hard enough with them. About six months ago, I started focusing on back width, mainly using the hammer lat machine and doing some assisted pull ups.

On the hammer lat machine I started with just a 35 pound plate on each side, and in six months I progressed to 2 45s and a 25 on each side. I could feel the burn in my lats for the first time ever....it was like I discovered a new muscle group in my body. Now I can also do 5 pull ups in a row without assistance and theres also a defined V taper that was never there before.

Maybe you just need to try different exercises until you find one that will hit YOUR muscles the best. Also I think that heavy compound back exercises such as pull ups and bent over rows spur growth in biceps. Biceps were designed mainly to assist with the back movements, not do isolated curls. I think your biceps will grow once your back starts growing again.

You don't deadlifts.....why even lift weights :)? I live to deadlift. My all time favorite exercise. Give em a chance man, you might like em.

My back day:
-Deadlifts
-Pull Ups
-Bent Over Rows
-Hammer Lat Pulls
-Weighted Hyperextensions

Good luck man.

Cuffs

Cuffs

Awards
  • Established
My back workout is switched between two routines each week, and is worked with biceps. I took my routine fro I.A.'s site. My back day looks like the following:

Week 1:
Pull-Ups (wide grip)- 4 sets
Bentover Rows (barbell) - 3 sets
Hammer Lat pulls - 2 sets

Week 2:
Pull-Ups (supinated grip, close/wide)- 4 sets
T-Bar Rows - 2 sets
Seated Cable Rows - 3 sets

I go heavy, with reps in the area of 6-8. Pull-Ups are at 15 reps for the first set, and end at 8 reps on the last ( I don't have a belt to hook a weight on to). I use slow and controlled reps with the last pull-up being held at the top until I give out. I do Deadlifts every other week on leg day.