Dumbell>Barbell

S

SilverBullet7

Awards
Idk if it is a rumor or not but many poeple claim that dumbells on chestpress work better for size then rugular barbell bench. Is this true? And if it is why?

SouthernCharm

SouthernCharm

Awards
  • Established
Ehhh, IMO it depends on your goals. You get better range of motion with dumbbells and if you're using body building/hypertrophy routines, IMO the db is superior. For strength training, I'd have to say the barbell is superior.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Idk if it is a rumor or not but many poeple claim that dumbells on chestpress work better for size then rugular barbell bench. Is this true? And if it is why?
As SoutherCharm said, it depends on your goals - as well as on the individual and their specific needs.

As well as potentially allowing greater range of motion on an exercise, dumbbells can be used for building unilateral strength or balancing out muscle weaknesses (if done correctly), but you also have the chance that you are going to cause more strength and muscle imbalances this way as well. Note that using dumbbells can also change the movement slightly depending on the position of the dumbbells.

Barbells are generally going to allow you an overall higher weight lifted, but one side may compensate the other, and therefore muscle weaknesses could also occur.

In the end, it is personal preference whether dumbbells or barbells are used, but IMO it is good to use BOTH.

~Rosie~

SouthernCharm

SouthernCharm

Awards
  • Established
StackedCop

StackedCop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Use both! I try to use Barbell for chest only once a month Bc these make my shoulders hurt like a Mofo! Verity is good in this sport no matter what your goals are.

If you're a power lifter just make sure you join a gym with big a$$ dumb bells IMO a gym with less then 150s is worthless...

bluehealer

bluehealer

Awards
  • Established
I notice a bit more size gain with DB's but if I stick with them too long I lose a considerable amount of strength on BB press. Mix it up!

S

SilverBullet7

Awards
so in short...its opinion and just do both! got it.

SouthernCharm

SouthernCharm

Awards
  • Established
I notice a bit more size gain with DB's but if I stick with them too long I lose a considerable amount of strength on BB press. Mix it up!
I can vouch for this... Ive been on cycle (ending next week) and been using DBs for basically my chest days. The last week I just went to see what I could put up with a barbell, and my max lift had gone down about 20-30 lbs. But I do have to say that I gained a considerable amount of mass, even on a cut (so you could say more of a recomp) using db's this whole time.. I will be switching it up more to keep myself balanced.

P

Pipes

Awards
  • Established
I usually try to do both, but whichever is second is sacrificed in weight. I find that the least lost is if I do BB bench first, then go to flat DB. With DB first the bench loses alot of weight.

But yea, I usually do both on chest day.

diablosho

diablosho

Awards
  • Established
Anybody have any idea why this is, specifically why doing dumbbell makes you lose strength on barbell? It's the same motion, I would think it would be proportional. Are there "little helpers" not being used with dumbbell that are used with barbell?

bluehealer

bluehealer

Awards
  • Established
Anybody have any idea why this is, specifically why doing dumbbell makes you lose strength on barbell? It's the same motion, I would think it would be proportional. Are there "little helpers" not being used with dumbbell that are used with barbell?
You generally use less weight with DB's due to stability issues. It is also these stability issues that incorporate more muscle fibers and in turn create more size.

diablosho

diablosho

Awards
  • Established
You generally use less weight with DB's due to stability issues. It is also these stability issues that incorporate more muscle fibers and in turn create more size.
Good point, I didn't think about that!

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
DB exercises are also a great replacement exercise for bb lifts for when you're having elbow problems. Bad form or over-pressing with barbells can aggravate the elbows, and switching it up with dbs for a bit can help alleviate the pain.

DYEGYE

DYEGYE

Awards
  • Established
I understand what guys are saying about stretch and fiber activation, but in my experience, I've put more mass on doing barbell bench. Dumbbells have greatly improved the overall shape of my chest however.