Bench... breaking 90 on barbell

Page 2 of 2 First 12
  1. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  171 lbs.

I have personally had a lot of issue with shoulder joint issues. I hurt my rotator cuff in the military and it hasn't been the same since. I could never continue training and was always an off again off again weight lifter because of shoulder and knee problems. A friend told me he had the same issue and started not breaking 90 degrees and it helped him immensely. I did the same thing and I haven't had an issue since. I can obviously put up more weight this way too. I don't know if my chest is getting a better workout, but it's getting a workout and I can continue to go to the gym. This is definitely better. Whether your issue is the same, who knows? But it works for me and who really cares how far you go down? Honestly, bench press may be a cornerstone of weightlifting, but as far as strength goes in any type of normal situation, it's the most worthless lift of all. When do you need to use your pecs normally for any type of work whether it be your profession or at home? More importantly, when would your strength from your chest to a few inches out be necessary? I say, if you can build your chest with less risk than that's the way you should be doing it. I go a little below 90 sometimes but I never touch my chest anymore. I've been adding mass too. So it works!

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  168 lbs.

Dont listen to these guys. Check it out, what you do is throw on about 315, somthin lite like that, let it bounce off your chest and then throw it to the roof, catch it and repeat the process 8 to 10 times. Itll get you there quick. Payments for more extreme lifting advice can be made by PayPal or money order just go to: Idontknowwhatthe****imtalkinga bout .com for more helpful advice.
    Pain is weakness leaving the body.

Current goals: Throw heavy **** around, look good naked, kill.
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  171 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by OEFHajHunt10 View Post
    Dont listen to these guys. Check it out, what you do is throw on about 315, somthin lite like that, let it bounce off your chest and then throw it to the roof, catch it and repeat the process 8 to 10 times. Itll get you there quick. Payments for more extreme lifting advice can be made by PayPal or money order just go to: Idontknowwhatthe****imtalkinga bout .com for more helpful advice.
    Oh yeah, this is what I meant to type. I don't know what that other stuff was. Forgive me...I was WAY off earlier. Don't forget though, keep your feet on the bench, lift your pelvis as high as possible, and flail it to and fro simultaneously with the bounce. It's called form, get some! Haha.
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  168 lbs.

And you see calidood is exactly right about the form. form, form, form but never before weight. Its all about the weight, form comes second. Good additive calidood, i like the touch on hip placement, the innerward thrusting motion is a must when it comes to bench.Payments for more extreme lifting advice can be made by PayPal or money order just go to: Idontknowwhatthe****imtalkinga bout .com for more helpful advice.
    Pain is weakness leaving the body.

Current goals: Throw heavy **** around, look good naked, kill.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Flat Bench vs. Incline Bench
    By noviceiron in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 84
    Last Post: 10-17-2010, 02:33 PM
  2. Breaking through 200 lbs
    By silverSurfer in forum Bulking
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 10-05-2009, 12:11 PM
  3. Replies: 18
    Last Post: 09-23-2009, 11:44 PM