Odd pain in my tricep yesterday when benching

1. Registered User

Odd pain in my tricep yesterday when benching

Yesterday was chest/tri's, on my third set of bench, I got a pain in my tricep that I have never felt before. The pain is located between the two red lines in the picture.

It wasn't severe, and I actually completed my workout with minimal discomfort. Incline dumbbell press felt ok, incline dumbbell fly aggravated it slightly, tricep workout didn't bother it at all (press downs and reverse grip press downs).

I iced it that night when I got home, it was stiff/sore as hell this morning, I iced it again and its gotten better throughout the day. What hurts the most now is if I put my arm out to my side (perpendicular to my body) and try to move it backward, like the direct opposite of a chest fly motion

According to the picture, the pain is in the "internal head of triceps" What could I do to warm up or stretch that muscle to help avoid this in the future?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  260 lbs.

I'm not sure it's your tricep based on your description. My guess would be coracobrachialis or short head of the biceps. Coracobrachialis seems like the most likely candidate based on your pain and soreness. I will get some soreness in this area if I do dips and haven't done them in a while. If there is still any soreness at all, take it easy and don't bench heavy again right away. Also examine your bench technique to make sure you aren't flaring your elbows too much and get a small arch so your elbows don't sink way below your body in the bottom of the movement.
  3. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by SRS2000 View Post
    I'm not sure it's your tricep based on your description. My guess would be coracobrachialis or short head of the biceps. Coracobrachialis seems like the most likely candidate based on your pain and soreness. I will get some soreness in this area if I do dips and haven't done them in a while. If there is still any soreness at all, take it easy and don't bench heavy again right away. Also examine your bench technique to make sure you aren't flaring your elbows too much and get a small arch so your elbows don't sink way below your body in the bottom of the movement.
    Feeling better today. Still not 100% but getting better. I think I'm gonna have to chalk this up as a fluke, technique is the same as it has been for quite some time (I do make sure to keep the elbows tucked). Heck I even warmed up more than usual since I've been fighting some nagging shoulder pain.

I have noticed that the motion for shoulder press doesn't feel great either so I may have to skip shoulders so hopefully I can get my body on track for next week. if it isn't one thing it is another.

BTW you may be right, the more and more I think about exactly where the pain is and look at that pic I tend to agree w/ you on it being coracobrachialis.
    •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Tricep extension pain
    By CarterMalone in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-21-2011, 04:15 AM
  2. Chest Pain when benching
    By Peckboy69 in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-04-2011, 04:02 PM
  3. Lower Tricep/Elbow Pain
    By wrobben in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-14-2009, 09:05 AM
  4. shoulder pain when benching
    By 84bandit in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-10-2008, 10:11 PM
  5. Forearm pain when benching or military presses.
    By flytrapcan in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-28-2006, 01:57 PM