New Workout Startegy calledTabat (Must Wach)

L

liftallday123

Awards
  • Established
Tried this myself. Very intense. Takes alot to get me sore and I woke up the next morning sore out of mind. I tried it for chest workout. I did flat bench many reps as possible for 20 secs, rest 10 secs, dumbells flys as many reps as possible for 20 secs, 10 sec rest, then as many pushups as possible for 20 secs then 10 sec rest. Then repeat the routine 7 times.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It's not a new strategy and is a bastardized version of Tabata. Tabata was meant for sprints mainly and it's a conditioning tool, not for any sort of strength and/or mass. Notice how awful their form got towards the end as well. That's begging for an injury.

bdcc

bdcc

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Tabata is definitely not a new concept, people have been doing it for years. Here is what I know on it.

- Very short rest intervals for GH release and subsequent fat loss.
- It is crucial that you choose an exercise which suits this purpose, here are some things to think about;
1) Muscle fatigue and technique. If you do that particular exercise to the point of throwing up (quite a strong possibility) what will your technique look like at the end. Would a Back Extension be a favourable choice for the posterior chain over the Deadlift?)
2) Muscle failure. If you did BB Hack Squats would your grip fail too prematurely to complete the workout in a way which would tax the rest of your body effectively?
3) Equipment. You cannot choose something where a long set up is needed. Having to change set up delays the rest period, especially when tired. An example would be having a bar on your shoulders and take multiple steps out of the rack to do Barbell Lunges.
4) Something requiring high balance/co-ordination is out. For the same reason as point 1. Performing a Barbell Snatch would result in horrible form in the same way anything requiring balance would be a waste. As fatigue builds your proprioception will become very poor and you will spend too much time correcting yourself rather than doing the exercise.

I hope this is helpful. If you do it properly it will be one of the hardest workouts you have ever done :)

L

liftallday123

Awards
  • Established
yeaa true u must be very careful with your form to avoid injury and not over due it. But I have been doing this for a month now and I just went back to my regular routine to switch things up and I have noticed a big increase of strenth and some lean muscle gains. But everybody is different and will respond differently to certain workouts.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
yeaa true u must be very careful with your form to avoid injury and not over due it. But I have been doing this for a month now and I just went back to my regular routine to switch things up and I have noticed a big increase of strenth and some lean muscle gains. But everybody is different and will respond differently to certain workouts.
Do you mean an increase in muscular endurance or an increase in 1RM?

L

liftallday123

Awards
  • Established
ive maintained weight but at the sametime got stronger and more defined.

L

liftallday123

Awards
  • Established
for example before i started the tabata program i was repping bench 250 with 2 min break in between, during tabata i was not repping as much due to the 10 sec breaks, the high reps, and i used dumbells, I just changed up my routine this past week back to my 2 min break between each set and barbell bench press and noticed that im recovering very easily between breaks per set and not feeling the burn, I am also putting up alot more weight then I ever did. So I would say that the tabata helped with muscle fatigue and just made me over all stronger for im putting up alot more weight then i did before.

L

liftallday123

Awards
  • Established
I could also say that it helps with my cardio somewhat too

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
for example before i started the tabata program i was repping bench 250 with 2 min break in between, during tabata i was not repping as much due to the 10 sec breaks, the high reps, and i used dumbells, I just changed up my routine this past week back to my 2 min break between each set and barbell bench press and noticed that im recovering very easily between breaks per set and not feeling the burn, I am also putting up alot more weight then I ever did. So I would say that the tabata helped with muscle fatigue and just made me over all stronger for im putting up alot more weight then i did before.
That's indicative of increased CV performance, but not strength per se. Decreased time between sets, yes, but not a stronger muscle in terms of poundage.

L

liftallday123

Awards
  • Established
yes I guess thats a good way to put it. I like the overall results though. Its rough on your body though so I am only doin tabata every other month.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
yes I guess thats a good way to put it. I like the overall results though. Its rough on your body though so I am only doin tabata every other month.
I would use it as a conditioning tool, but not build my program around it.

L

liftallday123

Awards
  • Established
Agreed. It would fit in real well for conditioning atheates for sports. I use it for sports and I like it cause it helps drop bf for me after bulking up.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I can think of a lot more functional ways to improve upper body conditioning.

Resisted and unstable closed kinetic chain movements, such as pushups with chains or using med and swiss balls, inverted rows, pull ups, etc.

Br

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The Tabata Method has been around for several years at least. It's named after Dr. Tabata who developed it. He, however, used it primarily for cycling, and it's been adapted since then to other needs.

JohnRock

JohnRock

Awards
  • Established
They were using too much weight (and not a great move choice) to really take advantage of Tabata. I do similar stuff with push-ups, pull-ups, clean & press, bear crawls, etc. Set them up in a circuit and go all out to a certain time or rep range, then move on. You shouldn't be hitting failure until the end of workout if you're concerned about your cardio. It's just a slight modification of HIIT. There are lots of variations that would work equally well.

L

liftallday123

Awards
  • Established
I like to use the 300 workout for conditioning also

Type O Hero

Type O Hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
It's not a new strategy and is a bastardized version of Tabata. Tabata was meant for sprints mainly and it's a conditioning tool, not for any sort of strength and/or mass. Notice how awful their form got towards the end as well. That's begging for an injury.
Yeah, this new way of working out seems like something a high schooler would have thought up. No offense to the original poster!

I could think of many workout routines that would result in a lot of soreness the next morning but just because you wake up sore doesn't mean you've had a great workout or that you're going to gain mass or strength. It's extremely easy to get sore if that's all you're looking for.

My advice would be to go with what works. There have been people getting in amazing shape or becoming very strong with old tried and true training techniques that are 40-50+ years old. And when people find new techniques that work, most of the time it's not even a new technique, it's an old one that they've just never heard of before.

Just remember that there is a difference in sheer effort and effective effort. Approach your training and dieting with good strategy rather than an all-out approach for "extreme fast gains," or (insert cliche fitness magazine headline).

I used to watch a show called Dragonball Z when I was younger and it almost seems that a lot of people approach training as if they were living in that universe. If anyone has ever watched that show, youll know what I'm talking about! ;) If you've never watched the show, disregard this paragraph. lol

L

liftallday123

Awards
  • Established
Dragonball z = Great Show

lol wached it all the time when i was younger.

ryansm

ryansm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Completely agree, incorporate some oly lifts and get better results imo.