By far the most important element to training...

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Is humility. I've been training for close to a decade now and I've yet to cease learning new methods, techniques, etc. For everyone, it is extremely important to remember that you can always strive to improve both your training and your attitude towards training. I've looked back at some of my old training logs from 3-4 years ago and think, "WTF was I doing!?" Then again, I'm just glad that I was receptive to trying new things and always trying to make myself a better athlete.

The field of exercise physiology and science is a very dynamic field and is changing at an unbelievable rate. Hell, things that were thought to be true during my undergrad years have since been revised during my grad years (e.g. the role of lactic acid).

So remember, what you think is the "best" way to train may not be true and there is always room to improve.

liftallday123

Awards
  • Established
"Never Afraid of Failing Always Making Advances" , just a phrase I think fits ur post, good post by the way.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
What are your thoughts on various training systems such as undulating periodization, escalated density training, russian conjugate system, DC training, GVT, westside, etc..

I know there are tons of differences, I am not asking you to explain or comment on every one, just curious if you have had experience with any and what you think about them overall generally.

Movin_weight

Movin_weight

Awards
  • Established
Haha same here with lactic acid. Undergrad professor taught the oldschool concepts an my grad level professor supports Brooks and the new age theories

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
Haha same here with lactic acid. Undergrad professor taught the oldschool concepts an my grad level professor supports Brooks and the new age theories
Brooks's theory of direct mitochondrial lactate metabolism has not been proven, and is not widely accepted in the scientific community. In fact, there are plenty of scientific research studies that prove the mitochondrial matrix does not have the lactate dehydrogenase enzyme to metabolically use lactate as a substrate assuming that MCT1, MCT2 will shuttle the lactate inside the mitochondrial matrix (MCT4 is mainly reserved for cellular lactate shuttling, even though MCT1 can also be used for this purpose which boils down to recruitment patterns). Conversely, I am aware of opposing arguments on both sides, and must say the scientific evidence isn't in Brooks' favor.

P.S: I also have a graduate degree in exercise physiology applying to medical school for cardiology.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
What are your thoughts on various training systems such as undulating periodization, escalated density training, russian conjugate system, DC training, GVT, westside, etc..

I know there are tons of differences, I am not asking you to explain or comment on every one, just curious if you have had experience with any and what you think about them overall generally.
EVERYTHING should follow some system of periodization. After you adjust the program to that sort of schedule, the main thing to do is to train with intensity and tinker with new things.

Movin_weight

Movin_weight

Awards
  • Established
Brooks's theory of direct mitochondrial lactate metabolism has not been proven, and is not widely accepted in the scientific community. In fact, there are plenty of scientific research studies that prove the mitochondrial matrix does not have the lactate dehydrogenase enzyme to metabolically use lactate as a substrate assuming that MCT1, MCT2 will shuttle the lactate inside the mitochondrial matrix (MCT4 is mainly reserved for cellular lactate shuttling, even though MCT1 can also be used for this purpose which boils down to recruitment patterns). Conversely, I am aware of opposing arguments on both sides, and must say the scientific evidence isn't in Brooks' favor.

P.S: I also have a graduate degree in exercise physiology applying to medical school for cardiology.
Yeah i'm not arguing one way or another, it's just entertaining to take similar classes with professors influenced by opposing theories. Although, Brooks original theory of intracellular shuttles is more the focus... not neccessarily pertaining to the direct oxidation of lactate within the matrix

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yeah i'm not arguing one way or another, it's just entertaining to take similar classes with professors influenced by opposing theories. I'm considering doing a review of lit on the topic for credit to gather my own oppinion, because whatever influence your professor has on you is likely what you'll follow.
Entertaining, but in a pathetic sort of way. i realize every professor will have his/her own biases, but they should try to keep them out of the classroom, or at least present both side of the information to the students. Professors who are so biased they get upset or offended if you present citations or material that oppose their viewpoint, in my opinion, are doing a disservice to those of us coming up in the field.

Br

ps: I have an MS in ex sci too, and am working on my PhD. Good luck with the cardiology russy

Movin_weight

Movin_weight

Awards
  • Established
Entertaining, but in a pathetic sort of way. i realize every professor will have his/her own biases, but they should try to keep them out of the classroom, or at least present both side of the information to the students. Professors who are so biased they get upset or offended if you present citations or material that oppose their viewpoint, in my opinion, are doing a disservice to those of us coming up in the field.

Br

ps: I have an MS in ex sci too, and am working on my PhD. Good luck with the cardiology russy
What are you looking to do with your degree? Are you currently working or strictly studies

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've had one professor that has shaped my academic interest more than any other and she will openly admit that this is such a dynamic field that it's absurd to cling to one particular theory. Not coincidentally, she is the only professor/teacher that has ever intimidated me.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What are you looking to do with your degree? Are you currently working or strictly studies
Teach at the collegiate level as well as do research. Hopefully there will continue to be openings at a lot of the schools on the southeastern seaboard in exercise science departments as there has been the past 3 years. I'd really like to get out of this cold weather.

I work about 25 hours a week teaching anatomy and physiology concepts labs at springfield college.

Br

BrockR

BrockR

Awards
Is humility. I've been training for close to a decade now and I've yet to cease learning new methods, techniques, etc. For everyone, it is extremely important to remember that you can always strive to improve both your training and your attitude towards training. I've looked back at some of my old training logs from 3-4 years ago and think, "WTF was I doing!?" Then again, I'm just glad that I was receptive to trying new things and always trying to make myself a better athlete.

The field of exercise physiology and science is a very dynamic field and is changing at an unbelievable rate. Hell, things that were thought to be true during my undergrad years have since been revised during my grad years (e.g. the role of lactic acid).

So remember, what you think is the "best" way to train may not be true and there is always room to improve.
Good post!

I can't think of an area in life this wouldn't be beneficial.

I like the Biblical proverb "Teach a wise man and he will become wiser"

SouthernCharm

SouthernCharm

Awards
  • Established
Good post!

I can't think of an area in life this wouldn't be beneficial.

I like the Biblical proverb "Teach a wise man and he will become wiser"
Took the words right out of my mouth!

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
EVERYTHING should follow some system of periodization. After you adjust the program to that sort of schedule, the main thing to do is to train with intensity and tinker with new things.
^^^THIS!

...this is such a dynamic field that it's absurd to cling to one particular theory...
Definitely. Those in this industry must always be learning and evolving, because everything else is. Yes, there are some things that work for you and different methods that work for others, and regardless of whether the latter works for you or not or you disagree with it, one must always be open to the myriad possibilities and theories out there.

~Rosie~

Outstanding

Awards
  • Established
Is humility.
I really enjoyed this topic starter and agree with its impetus. I tend to see humility from the point of view that weight is not indicative of progress or strength, and there should be an Ego Hanger at the front door of the gym for coats, keys, and... egos.

Training like a crazed gorilla with unmatched Adonis amplified arrogance is a sure-fire way to ruin your reputation as well as your connective tissues, and I see this as a much more pervasive plaguing presence running rampant through the whole of gyms I have trained at.