work is killer

bi0hazurd

Awards
  • Established
I was recently offered a job with a company where my work will entail really heavy continuous lifting. I was worried if this continuous work plus my regular heavy gym lifting will hinder my growth/strength results?

Killerkanadia

Killerkanadia

Awards
  • Established
You would really turn down a job because it might hinder your results in the gym?

bi0hazurd

Awards
  • Established
Well I already have a job at vitamin shoppe. But I'm weighing pros and cons. And this would be one of the cons.

CrazyChemist

CrazyChemist

Awards
  • Established
idk a lot of the guys i know in the manual labor field are pretty burly

CrazyBassGuy

Awards
I would imagine that you would get used to it pretty quick.

e.g. normal daily activity, carrying your own bodyweight around on ur legs = base level body mass x. Plus additional muscle mass you get in the gym.

so in theory, if you increase your normal daily activity, as long as you eat and sleep enough, your base level body mass will increase, and your gym sessions will get you bigger still.

This is just a guess, but I figure that as long as you give yourself a few weeks to get used to the increased workload, and make sure you are eating and sleeping enough to recover properly, you will just get bigger :)

Killerkanadia

Killerkanadia

Awards
  • Established
Lots of eatting and sleeping and you'd probably be fine.

I bet there are some decent pros working at the vitamin shoppee too though.

bi0hazurd

Awards
  • Established
Well I mean I get a 25% discount on anything in the store. But my hours suck. However I'm in the best shape I've ever been in.

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Gotta continue the pro/con list you've got going on to make the ultimate decision. I worked construction for a summer and only lifted Fri/Sat/Sun because I worked 12-hour days and was exhausted from the manual labor. I'll say this, though - As long as you can eat right, you'll be in really good shape from it. And you can still hit the gym. If my days wouldn't have been from 7-7, I could have still got into the gym.

bi0hazurd

Awards
  • Established
Well my hours on the new job will be 6-2pm leaving a lot of time to hang with my girl and lift. I only lift mon wed fri.

Cpo

Cpo

Awards
  • Established
Well my hours on the new job will be 6-2pm leaving a lot of time to hang with my girl and lift. I only lift mon wed fri.
I don't post a lot on the forums much anymore, mostly do reading but I saw this topic and had to say something.

With all due respect...Grow some balls and suck it up. Heavy lifting at a job is not a big deal. I just left my field of work due to unemployment but I was a sign manufacturer. I built signs as large as billboards and made them from the ground up including installing them manually without "the proper" equipment. I also had to cut metal and fabricate brackets, etc all day.

12 hour days suck but you get use to them. Think of it as "having one more workout" over anyone else.

Just eat eat eat and rest when you can.

bi0hazurd

Awards
  • Established
U speak as a man going thru unemployment would. The nature of the job is not difficult to me at all and I can suck it up and get it done I'm not saying I won't have energy to do gym and job. I'm simply asking about the result. I too have had physical labor and then had to gym it I used to dig trenches with an electrician in the hot sun I live in miami so it gets pretty hot. That was right before my vit shoppe job.

waynaferd

waynaferd

Awards
  • Established
Other than I hate my job I often think of quitting so I can workout more, LOL.

But yeah, just be preapared to take some time off of the gym to get "acclimated" to the new job then get back at it. It'll prolly be good for ya.

Cpo

Cpo

Awards
  • Established
U speak as a man going thru unemployment would. The nature of the job is not difficult to me at all and I can suck it up and get it done I'm not saying I won't have energy to do gym and job. I'm simply asking about the result. I too have had physical labor and then had to gym it I used to dig trenches with an electrician in the hot sun I live in miami so it gets pretty hot. That was right before my vit shoppe job.
I wasn't trying to be offensive in anyway so if it came across that way I apologize. I have a full time job and I go to the gym a lot more then I use to however it is not labor intensive, but its still very tiring and sometime more tiring then my laboring job was.

You'll get acclimated to the new schedule and fair fine. As everyone mentioned before just eat eat eat.

On a different note, I live on the east coast of Florida as well, so I know how the sun and labor can be draining.

Killerkanadia

Killerkanadia

Awards
  • Established
Other than I hate my job I often think of quitting so I can workout more, LOL.

But yeah, just be preapared to take some time off of the gym to get "acclimated" to the new job then get back at it. It'll prolly be good for ya.
You whooped someones ass at work a couple months back, right?

waynaferd

waynaferd

Awards
  • Established
You whooped someones ass at work a couple months back, right?
LOL, Yep twas I!!

We're both still working after 3 days suspended.....but I still don't like it!!

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
I've worked with UPS before and the repetitive heavy lifting is killer for a little while. If you lift smart and at a comfortable pace you will be fine. When we hurry we get hurt. The job may take you out of the gym for a little while but when your body gets used to it you will be back in it. You may not have to do cardio anymore either. Continuous lifting keeps you in great shape. When it's continuous it's more aerobic then anaerobic so it will train your muscles differently then your body is used to. This is great cause you see results fast.