Sprained back AGAIN- DL form Questions.

hypo

hypo

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I've sprained my back really bad before, as in not even able to get in my car after the workout, and having excruciating pain whenever I would transition from sit to stand or vice versa from deadlifting. Well, today as soon as I felt that feeling (I just finished warmups and this was my first rep on first set) I took my lesson from last time and quit while I was ahead and did not try to continue.

This happening again in only a few months leads me to believe my form needs to be worked on. I'm a tall guy (6'3), and I don't know if we're biomechanically disadvantaged to the short guys, but the first part of the lift, getting it above the knees, always feels awkward to me. I feel like my lower back is being used too much, and because of the length of my legs and thighs in particular my back is in a much more compromising position in this first part. It's impossible for me to keep my back arched (or straight) while doing it and my lower back comes into play to get the bar above my knees.

I usually scrape the bar on my upper shin and knee on the way up so I don't think I'm holding it too far out either.

Does anyone know if being tall is a biomechanical disadvantage meaning extra caution or lower weight should be used? And does anyone have general tips on form (besides exrx.net).

Thanks!

hypo

hypo

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
By the way- I don't see lats in any of the listed worked muscles for DL in exrx.net. I thought they were a major worker in this movement?

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
There are a whole lot of things you can adjust for DL's, try moving your stance out and gripping inside your knees, and how much you have your toes pointed out (whatever is comfortable). Also make sure you are lowering by sticking your butt out and keeping all the weight in your heels, like a squat. Your core should be locked and stable while doing this movement.

ManBeast

DieTrying

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Does anyone know if being tall is a biomechanical disadvantage meaning extra caution or lower weight should be used? And does anyone have general tips on form (besides exrx.net).
YES!
If you are really and truly injured, you need rest, not better form.
As ManBeast said, try widening your stance..

Jag

Jag

Awards
  • Established
i'm 6"1 & had the same problem. i then changed to deadlifting in the power rack with the pins set just below my knees so you start the pull from there.
i got plenty of thickness up my spine from these.

remember if it doesn't feel good, don't do it. no matter what an article, friend or whatever says.

i've also tried a sumo style which i couldn't get used to at all.

if you keep injuring your lower back you'll be in for a world of trouble, depression & pain.....believe me. you don't want that!!!

make sure you're doing PLENTY of ab work as well. 99% of lower back injuries happen because of an imbalance between the abs & lower back and a secondary reason is lack of flexability in the hamstrings so get yourself a good stretching program as well.

hope it comes good for you soon.

Jag

Alt+F4

Back in the gym after 6 months of being a *****
Awards
I'm about 6'1", and if there's a more comfortable lift for me than deadlifts, I haven't found it. It can be a bit more difficult for taller lifters, but the advantage we have is leverage.

It's impossible for me to keep my back arched (or straight) while doing it and my lower back comes into play to get the bar above my knees.
This sentence concerns me...if you can't keep your back arched or straight, you shouldn't be deadlifting at all. This is a fundamental form issue, and it's no surprise you hurt yourself if you only round your back. How low does your butt go when you setup for the pull? I don't want you to squat the weight up, but it should at least be low enough that you have a nice tight arch in your back, at least to start the pull. It's ok if it goes from arched to straight mid-pull (the weight sometimes does that for you), but you never want it rounded over in the lower back. I'd like to see a picture of your setup from the side...because if you setup wrong, your pull will look even worse.

hypo

hypo

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I squat pretty low at the start of the lift. Thighs are definately parallel with the ground, maybe even lower. I try to keep my back stiff and basically push up with my legs until I get past that lower back point.

The problem is my thighs are so long that my butt is really forced to stick out probably further than most people's. so my shins basically "get in the way" of lifting it straight up.

I really don't want to go back to smiths but i never injured myself on those