Need more bodyweight only exercise ideas

MP591

MP591

Awards
I'm LDS(mormon) and I'm going on my 2 year mission and won't be able to access a gym. I leave in 4 days to Cochabamba, Bolivia. I'll have 30 min of "exercise" in the morning, every day, but I'm having trouble think of bodyweight exercises.

Pushups
Pullups
Ab Exercises(there are a ton I could do)
Hand Stand Pushups
Jump Squats

Thats about all I can think of. Does anyone else have any ideas or input on how to maintain? I AM planning on losing some weight, but I want to continue bodybuilding as soon as I get home.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
get a box or something like that and do dips. leg strength, u can do squat jumps

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm LDS(mormon) and I'm going on my 2 year mission and won't be able to access a gym. I leave in 4 days to Cochabamba, Bolivia. I'll have 30 min of "exercise" in the morning, every day, but I'm having trouble think of bodyweight exercises.

Pushups
Pullups
Ab Exercises(there are a ton I could do)
Hand Stand Pushups
Jump Squats

Thats about all I can think of. Does anyone else have any ideas or input on how to maintain? I AM planning on losing some weight, but I want to continue bodybuilding as soon as I get home.
There are LOTS of "bodyweight" exercises that you can do (i.e. calistehics, plyomtrcics, etc.), and most of the exercises you do in a gym with weights, you can modify and adapt with other equipment to make for an effective training session.

I actually wrote a brief article earlier this year on something similar - review it in post #4. I also recommend looking up each category and finding more exercises - shouldn't be hard to do.

The key to "maintaining" is in your NUTRITION, so make sure that you have that RIGHT.

~Rosie~
The Primordial Woman

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Train wothOUT being in a Gym

The Emergency Workout: Don’t have time to go to the gym?
Train at home with an improvised session . . .

Written by Rosie Chee Scott, BExSpSc
28 May 2010

Introduction

No matter how well we manage our time or schedule in training sessions, there are going to be days when everything doesn’t go as planned, and we find ourselves with no time for the gym. So, what do we do? We want to train – we know we need to. But what can we do? We can’t spare the time to drive to and from the gym, and then spend a whole hour doing cardio, followed by a resistance session, followed by stretching, before a shower and the drive home. There’s a quick and easy, simple solution: Train at home. That’s right – have a list of different workouts that you can do at home. Adjust and improvise, and you can have an intense quality session done and complete in as little as 10-20 minutes!

So, how do you know what to do? Depending on what falls on that particular day, you can design and create myriad workouts to achieve the same thing you would do in the gym. The key to home programmes are effectiveness and efficiency in shorter time – make your sessions short and intense.

Activities and Exercises

There are a variety of activities and exercises that you can incorporate into home programmes, including, but not limited to:

Calisthenics – Bodyweight exercises.

Examples of calisthenics:

o Squats – Standing or against the wall.
o Burpees – Variations can be used, from the regular burpee, to doing a push-up at the end of the ‘drop’.
o Pull-Ups – With fingertips on doorframes/beams.
o Push-Ups – On the floor or against the wall; many variations can be done, from beginner through to advance.
o Dips – Using a chair or bench.
o Ab exercises – Crunches, curls, etc.

Plyometrics – Jumping/explosive/power exercises.

Examples of plyometric exercises:

o Squat Jumps
o Box Jumps
o Bench Jumps
o Jumping Lunges
o Bounding
o Throwing

Skipping – A skipping rope is cheap to buy, easy to store, and doesn’t require a huge space to use it in.

Examples of a skipping session:

o Interval training – 10-20 minute session, with 20-120 second efforts, with 10-60 seconds easy or resting, etc.
o Continuous training – 10-20 minutes of continuous skipping, with little or no change in pace.

Shadow Boxing – Bag/boxing gloves and a bag are not even required.

Example of a Shadow Boxing session:

Perform two rounds of the following exercises in order, with 30-60 seconds rest between exercises, and 60 second rest between rounds:
o Straight Punches 2 minutes
o Hooks 2 minutes
o Uppercuts 2 minutes
o Combination Punches 2 minutes

Create Your Training Session

You can include all of the mentioned activities and exercises into various home programme sessions, including, but not limited to:

Cards – Have a pack of cards. Assign an exercise (i.e. calisthenics, plyometrics, cardio, shadow boxing, etc.) to each suit or number (remove the Joker). Place the cards facedown in a stack. Pick a card off the top. Based on what it is, perform for either a set number of reps or period of time that exercise, until complete, and then pick up another card, to complete that exercise. Complete for 10-15 cards, depending on whether you select reps or time per exercise, for sessions lasting anywhere from 10 minutes to 30 minutes.

Example of card deck sessions:

If doing an exercise based on suite:
o Clubs – Jumping Jacks x 1 minute
o Spades – Star-Jumps x 1 minute
o Diamonds – Push-Ups x 1 minute
o Hearts – Burpees x 1 minute

If doing an exercise based on card:
o Ace – Shuttle Run 2 x 10-metres
o Jack – Skipping effort 2 minutes
o Queen – Squat Jumps 1 minute
o King – Crunches x 50
o 10 – Plank x 1 minute
o 9 – Thrusters x 10
o 8 – Walking Lunges x 20 paces out and 20 paces back
o 7 – N-Up x 1 minute
o 6 – Tai Chi Squat x 10
o 5 – Push-Ups x 20
o 4 – Shadowboxing 2 minutes
o 3 – Jumping Lunges x 20
o 2 – Overhead Push Press x 20

Circuits – A high intensity session that includes cardio components (i.e. skipping, sprints, etc.) and resistance work (i.e. calisthenics, etc.).

Example of a Circuit:

o 1-3 circuits/rounds, of 8-12 exercises done with medium to fast tempo, with 30-90 seconds per exercise/station, 30-90 seconds between exercises/stations, and 2-3 minutes between circuits.

Floor Routines – A combination of flexibility and resistance exercises that incorporate bodyweight and/or tube work.

Example of a Floor Routine:

Perform each exercise in order, adding another 5-10 reps per week:
o Push-Ups 3 x 15
o Crunches 3 x 10-15
o Arm/Leg Raises 3 x 10-15
o Elbow Toe Stand 3 x 30 seconds

High intensity interval training (HIIT) – Efforts.

Example of a HIIT session:

o Start with an easy 4 minute warm-up. Then do 8-16 20-second efforts at maximal intensity, with either 10-seconds easy or break between each effort. Finish off with 4 minutes easy to cool down. Can be done running (up and down the street or around the block), skipping, cycling (if you have a bike and a stationary trainer).

High-intensity session – You can incorporate cardio (i.e. skipping) with body-weights exercises, calisthenics, and plyometrics, etc.

Example of a high-intensity session:

Perform two rounds of the following exercises in order, with no rest between rounds:
o Skip 1 minute
o Squat Jumps 1 minute
o Skip 1 minute
o Push-Ups 1 minute
o Skip 1 minute
o Supermans 1 minute
o Skip 1 minute
o Dips 1 minute
o Skip 1 minute
o Plank 1 minute
Such a simple programme, and yet you hit every exercise group, incorporate resistance work with cardiovascular benefits, and all in only 20 minutes.

Conclusion

Improvise. Use what you have in the house to do different exercises. Cans can be used as dumbbells. Chairs and sofas can be used as benches. Steps can be used. Bicycle tubes can act as resistance tubing and cables. Don’t limit your imagination. You can use everything for something. You don’t even have to use anything at all – you can do plenty using only your body and your body-weight for an effective session.

I personally find that the best session to do if I can’t make it to the gym, is a high intensity “cardio” session. Such a session includes a multitude of exercises and modes, from cardio to resistance work, using body-weight, calisthenics, plyometrics, and tubing.

Please note that this article can also be found on my website under Articles :: Health and Fitness

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

SRS2000

Awards
  • Established
I've recently picked up some bodyweight exercises and static holds that gymnasts use to build strength. Do an internet search for "gymnastics bodies" and you should easily find a website that has articles, videos, and a forum to give you some ideas. Some of the exercises are ridiculously difficult, but you can pick out some of the basic progressions that will build a good deal of strength.

FlawedGrunt

FlawedGrunt

Awards
  • Established
The Emergency Workout: Don’t have time to go to the gym?
Train at home with an improvised session . . .

Written by Rosie Chee Scott, BExSpSc
28 May 2010

Introduction

No matter how well we manage our time or schedule in training sessions, there are going to be days when everything doesn’t go as planned, and we find ourselves with no time for the gym. So, what do we do? We want to train – we know we need to. But what can we do? We can’t spare the time to drive to and from the gym, and then spend a whole hour doing cardio, followed by a resistance session, followed by stretching, before a shower and the drive home. There’s a quick and easy, simple solution: Train at home. That’s right – have a list of different workouts that you can do at home. Adjust and improvise, and you can have an intense quality session done and complete in as little as 10-20 minutes!

So, how do you know what to do? Depending on what falls on that particular day, you can design and create myriad workouts to achieve the same thing you would do in the gym. The key to home programmes are effectiveness and efficiency in shorter time – make your sessions short and intense.

Activities and Exercises

There are a variety of activities and exercises that you can incorporate into home programmes, including, but not limited to:

Calisthenics – Bodyweight exercises.

Examples of calisthenics:

o Squats – Standing or against the wall.
o Burpees – Variations can be used, from the regular burpee, to doing a push-up at the end of the ‘drop’.
o Pull-Ups – With fingertips on doorframes/beams.
o Push-Ups – On the floor or against the wall; many variations can be done, from beginner through to advance.
o Dips – Using a chair or bench.
o Ab exercises – Crunches, curls, etc.

Plyometrics – Jumping/explosive/power exercises.

Examples of plyometric exercises:

o Squat Jumps
o Box Jumps
o Bench Jumps
o Jumping Lunges
o Bounding
o Throwing

Skipping – A skipping rope is cheap to buy, easy to store, and doesn’t require a huge space to use it in.

Examples of a skipping session:

o Interval training – 10-20 minute session, with 20-120 second efforts, with 10-60 seconds easy or resting, etc.
o Continuous training – 10-20 minutes of continuous skipping, with little or no change in pace.

Shadow Boxing – Bag/boxing gloves and a bag are not even required.

Example of a Shadow Boxing session:

Perform two rounds of the following exercises in order, with 30-60 seconds rest between exercises, and 60 second rest between rounds:
o Straight Punches 2 minutes
o Hooks 2 minutes
o Uppercuts 2 minutes
o Combination Punches 2 minutes

Create Your Training Session

You can include all of the mentioned activities and exercises into various home programme sessions, including, but not limited to:

Cards – Have a pack of cards. Assign an exercise (i.e. calisthenics, plyometrics, cardio, shadow boxing, etc.) to each suit or number (remove the Joker). Place the cards facedown in a stack. Pick a card off the top. Based on what it is, perform for either a set number of reps or period of time that exercise, until complete, and then pick up another card, to complete that exercise. Complete for 10-15 cards, depending on whether you select reps or time per exercise, for sessions lasting anywhere from 10 minutes to 30 minutes.

Example of card deck sessions:

If doing an exercise based on suite:
o Clubs – Jumping Jacks x 1 minute
o Spades – Star-Jumps x 1 minute
o Diamonds – Push-Ups x 1 minute
o Hearts – Burpees x 1 minute

If doing an exercise based on card:
o Ace – Shuttle Run 2 x 10-metres
o Jack – Skipping effort 2 minutes
o Queen – Squat Jumps 1 minute
o King – Crunches x 50
o 10 – Plank x 1 minute
o 9 – Thrusters x 10
o 8 – Walking Lunges x 20 paces out and 20 paces back
o 7 – N-Up x 1 minute
o 6 – Tai Chi Squat x 10
o 5 – Push-Ups x 20
o 4 – Shadowboxing 2 minutes
o 3 – Jumping Lunges x 20
o 2 – Overhead Push Press x 20

Circuits – A high intensity session that includes cardio components (i.e. skipping, sprints, etc.) and resistance work (i.e. calisthenics, etc.).

Example of a Circuit:

o 1-3 circuits/rounds, of 8-12 exercises done with medium to fast tempo, with 30-90 seconds per exercise/station, 30-90 seconds between exercises/stations, and 2-3 minutes between circuits.

Floor Routines – A combination of flexibility and resistance exercises that incorporate bodyweight and/or tube work.

Example of a Floor Routine:

Perform each exercise in order, adding another 5-10 reps per week:
o Push-Ups 3 x 15
o Crunches 3 x 10-15
o Arm/Leg Raises 3 x 10-15
o Elbow Toe Stand 3 x 30 seconds

High intensity interval training (HIIT) – Efforts.

Example of a HIIT session:

o Start with an easy 4 minute warm-up. Then do 8-16 20-second efforts at maximal intensity, with either 10-seconds easy or break between each effort. Finish off with 4 minutes easy to cool down. Can be done running (up and down the street or around the block), skipping, cycling (if you have a bike and a stationary trainer).

High-intensity session – You can incorporate cardio (i.e. skipping) with body-weights exercises, calisthenics, and plyometrics, etc.

Example of a high-intensity session:

Perform two rounds of the following exercises in order, with no rest between rounds:
o Skip 1 minute
o Squat Jumps 1 minute
o Skip 1 minute
o Push-Ups 1 minute
o Skip 1 minute
o Supermans 1 minute
o Skip 1 minute
o Dips 1 minute
o Skip 1 minute
o Plank 1 minute
Such a simple programme, and yet you hit every exercise group, incorporate resistance work with cardiovascular benefits, and all in only 20 minutes.

Conclusion

Improvise. Use what you have in the house to do different exercises. Cans can be used as dumbbells. Chairs and sofas can be used as benches. Steps can be used. Bicycle tubes can act as resistance tubing and cables. Don’t limit your imagination. You can use everything for something. You don’t even have to use anything at all – you can do plenty using only your body and your body-weight for an effective session.

I personally find that the best session to do if I can’t make it to the gym, is a high intensity “cardio” session. Such a session includes a multitude of exercises and modes, from cardio to resistance work, using body-weight, calisthenics, plyometrics, and tubing.
Hey Rosie. I really like this deck of card idea as I am about to start circuit training 3 days a week because I really want to blast some fat off. However I was also wondering. Since circuit training for the most part is probably going to be lower weight for me, can I do heavy bench among other heavy exercises tue and thur or should I just stick to circuit training 3 times a week for 3-4 weeks?

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hey Rosie. I really like this deck of card idea as I am about to start circuit training 3 days a week because I really want to blast some fat off. However I was also wondering. Since circuit training for the most part is probably going to be lower weight for me, can I do heavy bench among other heavy exercises tue and thur or should I just stick to circuit training 3 times a week for 3-4 weeks?
Honestly, if your NUTRITION is set up for it, there's no reason why you cannot do your three sessions of circuit training and then your two heavier resistance training sessions. I'd recommend making all your sessions shorter though, ~20-30 minutes, 40 minutes tops, the circuit sessions more along the lines of ~20 minutes, with minimal recovery, and bodyweight exercises and plyometrics in with the weighted exercises.

If it becomes too much for you with five sessions a week, then cut it back to 3-4 sessions and see how it goes. Remember that every week you can adapt and adjust your training based on how you feel, as well as on progress.

~Rosie~
The Primordial Woman

FlawedGrunt

FlawedGrunt

Awards
  • Established
Honestly, if your NUTRITION is set up for it, there's no reason why you cannot do your three sessions of circuit training and then your two heavier resistance training sessions. I'd recommend making all your sessions shorter though, ~20-30 minutes, 40 minutes tops, the circuit sessions more along the lines of ~20 minutes, with minimal recovery, and bodyweight exercises and plyometrics in with the weighted exercises.

If it becomes too much for you with five sessions a week, then cut it back to 3-4 sessions and see how it goes. Remember that every week you can adapt and adjust your training based on how you feel, as well as on progress.

~Rosie~
The Primordial Woman
Awesome! Thanks for the response!

im looking at about 3 circuits of 10-15 exerices
doing each set for timed intervals instead of reps. So im looking at maybe starting with 20-30seconds. That would be 3-5min per circuit without the few seconds inbetween sets and the 1-3min of rest between circuits

as far as my lifting days none circuit style... I usually stay under 40 minutes no problem. Now i just need to decide what kind of rep range i want to do. I was doing heavy weight low reps full body for like 8 weeks and now im on my 3rd week of single body part 5 days a week 3x10 since its been forever since I did that workout scheme

Thanks again

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Awesome! Thanks for the response!

im looking at about 3 circuits of 10-15 exerices
doing each set for timed intervals instead of reps. So im looking at maybe starting with 20-30seconds. That would be 3-5min per circuit without the few seconds inbetween sets and the 1-3min of rest between circuits

as far as my lifting days none circuit style... I usually stay under 40 minutes no problem. Now i just need to decide what kind of rep range i want to do. I was doing heavy weight low reps full body for like 8 weeks and now im on my 3rd week of single body part 5 days a week 3x10 since its been forever since I did that workout scheme

Thanks again
No worries :)

Maybe look at ~10 exercises for your circuits.

You can use any rep range you want re non-circuit days, and lift as HEAVY as you can for the set reps. Personally, lower reps like 5-8 at heavier weights work better than higher reps like 12-15+ at lighter weights for fat loss for me.

You could also try doing just FOUR resistance sessions a week, with your circuit training Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, and then on Saturday doing a SINGLE body-part, changing the body-part each week, so that you have a 4-5 week rotation until you've completed each body-part lifting heavy. Just a thought.

~Rosie~
The Primordial Woman

Jabb

Awards
Don't forget you can also do oddlifts. Find something heavy, pick it up, put it over head. You can do it for reps, you can walk with it, squat it, etc.

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
First off, Props for going door to door with intentions of helping others improve their lives. Most people don't have the guts to do that. Second to add to the list, Single leg Squats and Single leg straight leg Deadlifts.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Flutter kicks, scissor kicks, pistol squats, forward lunges, back lunges, side lunges, agility movements e.g. crossovers while running like in football training, forward shoulder rolls, leg raises, pull ups (i'm sure you can find something to do some kind of pull up), dips (use a chair) deadlift/sumodeadlift (use a ball, box, stone, bar sand bag, biceps curl/triceps ext. (use a back pack, sand bag, etc,) squats, overhead press, shoulders, cleans, turkish get ups etc and many more stuff using a stone, box, back pack, luggage, sand bag, bar... just improvise. Hell you can use some to do overhead squats i.e. have some one cross their legs, fold their arms and lock their body rigid and you can use them as a pseuedo weight bar

hypo

hypo

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Hand stand pushups, toes against a wall to get very high incline pushups, barbell rows by hanging under a bar, supporting feet at same level, and pulling up (an upside down pushup, if you will), one arm pullups (or move your body to one side in a normal pullup if you're not strong enough), and strongman type stuff like lifting heavy rocks, pushing/pulling sleds, etc.