How do I flatten these abs?

TheBreeze

TheBreeze

Awards
  • Established
Im not sure if this is the best area to post this thread in but I couldn't really think of where to put it.

Basically my question is, why do my upper abs bulge out so much when Im relaxed. I mean when I flex them they flatten out just fine but every time I look down I can see my belly sticking out and it literally disgusts me. Any tips on tightening up these things would be great.

And yes I do train upper, mid, and lower abs separately.

Thanks

***The first two pics are with relaxed abs
***The last two pics are with abs flexed

Attachments

TheBreeze

TheBreeze

Awards
  • Established
Sorry I didnt realize how big those pics would be. My mistake

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Im not sure if this is the best area to post this thread in but I couldn't really think of where to put it.

Basically my question is, why do my upper abs bulge out so much when Im relaxed. I mean when I flex them they flatten out just fine but every time I look down I can see my belly sticking out and it literally disgusts me. Any tips on tightening up these things would be great.

And yes I do train upper, mid, and lower abs separately.

Thanks

***The first two pics are with relaxed abs
***The last two pics are with abs flexed
You need to work on your posture - in these images, it is terrible. That alone will make a huge difference. Staying away from or minimizing consumption of gas-causing or bloating foods will also make a difference.

As far as when you flex them you see a belly - that's all in your head, bud.

~Rosie~
The Primordial Woman

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
I disagree, looks like high levels of visceral fat to me. Usually stress related but can be other factors too. His posture looks fine, just seems to be the way he took the pic. Look at his pants line and his hips don't seem tilted at all.

maddbomber

Awards
i call those chuck liddell abs...could it be genetics?

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I disagree, looks like high levels of visceral fat to me. Usually stress related but can be other factors too. His posture looks fine, just seems to be the way he took the pic. Look at his pants line and his hips don't seem tilted at all.
Well, the OP is not super lean lean, but he DEFINITELY has poor posture - look at his back and shoulders; you don't have to have tilted hips to have bad posture. Re the "relaxed" images, he looks as if he's deliberately trying to push his stomach out, too. A conscious effort should be made to "hold" your stomach in all the time - a part of good posture.

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
It's a mix of VAT and stomach distention.
Agreed. Liver issues were going to be my second guess. Should see a doctor/get some blood work done. Your hormones aren't likely where they need to be.

TheBreeze

TheBreeze

Awards
  • Established
Thanks to everyone who replied. As far as posture goes, Ive never really noticed it until I took these pictures. Rosie is right my shoulders are very hunched over. It makes sense too cause I usually look at the floor when Im walking. I hardly ever walk with my head up. Probably stems from years of being picked on is school...but that's another thread & another time. So, in short thank you Rosie for being honest. Besides I knew I had that coming.

As for the VAT, Im well aware Im no where near being called very lean so Im sure I have a considerable amount of fat stored up. Stomach distention is also a big problem I have every time I eat.

The reason I posted this question was more along the lines of, is there any specific exercises I should do for abs to tighten up my upper abs. However, after reading everyone's opinions I am inclined to get my posture in check before totally giving up on this.

So again, thanks for everyone's responses and with some posture pointers and a bit of luck I might like my abs some day.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks to everyone who replied. As far as posture goes, Ive never really noticed it until I took these pictures. Rosie is right my shoulders are very hunched over. It makes sense too cause I usually look at the floor when Im walking. I hardly ever walk with my head up. Probably stems from years of being picked on is school...but that's another thread & another time. So, in short thank you Rosie for being honest. Besides I knew I had that coming.

As for the VAT, Im well aware Im no where near being called very lean so Im sure I have a considerable amount of fat stored up. Stomach distention is also a big problem I have every time I eat.

The reason I posted this question was more along the lines of, is there any specific exercises I should do for abs to tighten up my upper abs. However, after reading everyone's opinions I am inclined to get my posture in check before totally giving up on this.

So again, thanks for everyone's responses and with some posture pointers and a bit of luck I might like my abs some day.
You know me - I just say it as it is or how I see it - no punches pulled :D

Stomach distention is not caused from not being lean enough - it's caused from all the reasons I listed in my initial reply here, as well as lack of strength in your core, etc.

Getting leaner should tighten the skin across your abs, and strengthening your core will make good posture easier, but there's no exercise/s that is really going to "tighten up" your abs, per se.

~Rosie~
The Primordial Woman

bdcc

bdcc

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You say you have a problem every time you eat.

Posture will cause issues if you have an enhanced lumber curve, hunched shoulders on their own won't cause this as it doesn't have to influence the lower part of your spine dramatically.

Digestive issues will cause this as there will be inflammation in the gut. Take it from someone who has suffered from a lot of GI issues and has been through the same thing.

It isn't a 'sexy' topic but could include;
- lack of HCL production
- parasites
- dysbiosis
- intolerance or sensitivities to certain foods

If you have issues with posture correct them anyway, even if it is just to improve your bench :)

TheBreeze

TheBreeze

Awards
  • Established
Thanks Rosie.

And to bdcc when I said I bloat up when I eat I was referring more to when I eat large quantities in one sitting.

However, I checked on some good posture pointers and tried them and Rosie was right on. I never knew bad posture could make you look so bad. Now Im worried I'll have a hunchback as an old man. LOL But seriously, I noticed when I hold my shoulders back and keep my head up my abs miraculously flatten and even tighten up quite a bit.

Now the trick is not to learn good posture but to keep good posture.
BTW, everywhere I walked at work tonight I tried to remind myself to keep my shoulders tight.

So thanks again Rosie. And you are right, you definitely call em like you see em. That in itself can be good, or bad. But I'll let this one slide cause you helped a brutha out.:D

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks Rosie.

. . .

However, I checked on some good posture pointers and tried them and Rosie was right on. I never knew bad posture could make you look so bad. Now Im worried I'll have a hunchback as an old man. LOL But seriously, I noticed when I hold my shoulders back and keep my head up my abs miraculously flatten and even tighten up quite a bit.

Now the trick is not to learn good posture but to keep good posture.
BTW, everywhere I walked at work tonight I tried to remind myself to keep my shoulders tight.

So thanks again Rosie. And you are right, you definitely call em like you see em. That in itself can be good, or bad. But I'll let this one slide cause you helped a brutha out.:D
No worries :)

If people are offended or hurt by the truth, then they should not ask the question - simple as that.

Imeniaan

Awards
  • Established
1. get a colon hydrotherapy session done. (usally three times would do the trick.) There is a lot of waste in your colon, (between 6 to 15 kgs) you should get rid of.

2. eliminate cortisol. buy a product called seditol.

3. stop eating things that blow you up like a balloon.

4. you're welcome.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i got the same issue but mine is only when im bulking so i think its fat storage. and its a creatine bloat for me. when i cut down to about 8% BF, i dont see this problem.

TheBreeze

TheBreeze

Awards
  • Established
Thanks fellas. Ive been trying to keep an eye on my carb and protein intake lately. Both of which have a tendency to make me bloated. However, after paying much more attention to my posture, I think Rosie hit the nail on the head. Although I was never taught good posture as a kid I never realized how important it really is. So for now Im gonna focus more on keeping my shoulders back and not letting my head hang.

However, the colon therapy sounds pretty good seeing as Im not as regular as I would like to be. I could probably drop a few lbs with the ol colon cleansing.

fritzer

fritzer

Awards
  • Established
1. get a colon hydrotherapy session done. (usally three times would do the trick.) There is a lot of waste in your colon, (between 6 to 15 kgs) you should get rid of.

2. eliminate cortisol. buy a product called seditol.

3. stop eating things that blow you up like a balloon.

4. you're welcome.
colon hydrotherapy?! don't do that one... haha just don't do that one. There is an AMAZING thing your body can do that gets rid of the waste in your colon... i forgot what it was called...:food:

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
You need to work on your posture
~Rosie~
The Primordial Woman
I'm with rosie, Work on stretches that keep your chest and shoulders back. Also ab stretches with trunk extension. Work on your back muscles more and chill out on the ab exercises. My abdominals are huge and if I don't maintain good posture they stick out like yours. I wish they would atrophy actually. lol.

geronimo542

geronimo542

Awards
do some core work for posture and I think traps and shoulders involves posture as well so possibly hit those more

Jake Fires

Jake Fires

Awards
  • Established
stretching also affects posture, tight muscles mean that there pullin on bones.

to flatten you abs, stop using heavy weights for abdominal workouts. keep it light and repetitious. you want endurance type workouts for your core on account of its always working to support your body up./

TheBreeze

TheBreeze

Awards
  • Established
Thanks guys.
Ive really been trying to pay more attention to keeping my shoulders back and my head up more when walking.
I know I need to do more rear delt work which may assist in pulling back my shoulders. And I will try to look into some abdominal stretching movements. I have a suspicion they could be effective because when I do lean back my upper abs really flatten out as well as stretch quite a bit.

VeganMike

Awards
Do a lot of planks. I read that plank exercises suck in your abs as opposed to other ab exercises that involve machines and weights that can make your abs bulge out like yours.