CSCS and NSCA-CPT

Steelwolf

Steelwolf

Awards
  • Established
Looking to take these both early next year. i have the big 500+ page book and am reading through that right now and taking the study questions at the end of every chapter and making my own little test to study off of. What else would you advise to help get me ready for the test.

I am also trying to find a nutrition certification. Precision performance is not offering any right now. I am thinking just getting the ISSA one but am not sure whether to get sports nutrition or fitness nutrition. I just need any certification to write diets legally in illinois.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
If you're not proficient in Ex Phys, you'll fail both NSCA tests.

Steelwolf

Steelwolf

Awards
  • Established
If you're not proficient in Ex Phys, you'll fail both NSCA tests.
My minor is exercise science and have taken a number of classes in athletic training as well. I would have a major in exercise science but the classes are not offered often enough in the time I want to graduate and move on with a masters.

Most of the stuff does not seem extremely complicated as of right now. So far my studying is consisting of

-Study guide based on questions in the book
-Outlining every term in the book (time consuming as hell)
-Ordering the pen and paper test
-debating ordering the audio CD.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
For the CSCS, you need to have a major in a related field (e.g. kinesiology, ex phys, athletic training, etc.) to even be eligible to take the test and be in your senior year as well. Most exercise science classes do not cover exercise physiology. A true ex phys class will have both a lab and a lecture because a lot of it is very hands-on material such as operating the metabolic cart.

Steelwolf

Steelwolf

Awards
  • Established
For the CSCS, you need to have a major in a related field (e.g. kinesiology, ex phys, athletic training, etc.) to even be eligible to take the test and be in your senior year as well. Most exercise science classes do not cover exercise physiology. A true ex phys class will have both a lab and a lecture because a lot of it is very hands-on material such as operating the metabolic cart.
When I emailed them they told me I didn't need a major in anything but it would be a bitch to pass without it

Steelwolf

Steelwolf

Awards
  • Established
When I emailed them they told me I didn't need a major in anything but it would be a bitch to pass without it
Apparently they changed it now says a degree is needed

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
That may have changed recently, but the fact still remains that it is designed for people within the S&C field. Also, the passing rate for the first time is quite low and even the CPT exam has a low rate of passing. There's a reason why the NSCA is so highly regarded: it takes a hihgly knowledgeable person to pass their exams.

Steelwolf

Steelwolf

Awards
  • Established
That may have changed recently, but the fact still remains that it is designed for people within the S&C field. Also, the passing rate for the first time is quite low and even the CPT exam has a low rate of passing. There's a reason why the NSCA is so highly regarded: it takes a hihgly knowledgeable person to pass their exams.
Well we shall see then. I am taking every bit of precaution in attempting to pass.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well we shall see then. I am taking every bit of precaution in attempting to pass.
Like I said, make you sure you know the ex phys section completely. It's ~40% of the test and is where most fail.

Steelwolf

Steelwolf

Awards
  • Established
Like I said, make you sure you know the ex phys section completely. It's ~40% of the test and is where most fail.
Interesting being 40%. That should be one my good parts one of my instructors beat the **** out of us with that he is CSCS, CPT and a bunch of other ****.

Steelwolf

Steelwolf

Awards
  • Established
Do you think having one or both will help with acceptance into a masters program?

Steelwolf

Steelwolf

Awards
  • Established
Probably not. Getting into a Master's program is more about GPA and GRE scores.
GPA is good, haven't done the GRE... The majority of schools here dont require it if your GPA is over 3.25 (Illinois state schools)

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
I took the CSCS test, didn't study one bit and passed it. I thought it was extremely easy. I took it about 2 years ago now, and you don't have to have a certain major to take it. However, I don't think you need a CPT and a CSCS cert. Choose one or the other depending on the population you're planning on working with. Fat loss/general - cpt Athletic/performance - CSCS. If you're not going to be working with anyone at the moment, either cert is worthless IMO. There is nothing on there that you shouldn't already know just from practicing strength training and following a structured program. What is your reasoning for taking either/both?

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I agree with WearRed on this one.

I have both, and I think the CPT was a waste of money.

As far as getting into grad-school, what do you want to go to grad school for?

I suggest you check out different schools, look into their programs, talk to their professors, etc. If you are going to be doing something clinical, then see what they offer for internships or how they will help you get internships.
If its more research based, such as exercise phyiosology, then talk to the professors and see what kind of research they are conducting. I'm in my 3rd year of a PhD program in exercise phsyiology, and am happy with my choice in grad school, especially since I have the freedom to choose the topics of my thesis and dissertation. Some schools you may be given a topic in line with what your advisor is working on.

If you are going on to grad school, then the CSCS cert would give you the biggest advantage in terms of a resume, and may be of benefit in recruiting subjects and passing internal review boards if you research involves an application of exercise.

Br

Br

Steelwolf

Steelwolf

Awards
  • Established
I agree with WearRed on this one.

I have both, and I think the CPT was a waste of money.

As far as getting into grad-school, what do you want to go to grad school for?

I suggest you check out different schools, look into their programs, talk to their professors, etc. If you are going to be doing something clinical, then see what they offer for internships or how they will help you get internships.
If its more research based, such as exercise phyiosology, then talk to the professors and see what kind of research they are conducting. I'm in my 3rd year of a PhD program in exercise phsyiology, and am happy with my choice in grad school, especially since I have the freedom to choose the topics of my thesis and dissertation. Some schools you may be given a topic in line with what your advisor is working on.

If you are going on to grad school, then the CSCS cert would give you the biggest advantage in terms of a resume, and may be of benefit in recruiting subjects and passing internal review boards if you research involves an application of exercise.

Br

Br
So how intently do I need to study for the CPT? I am starting to prepare for the CSCS to as I can take that next fall. I dont want to be over prepared for the CPT and then take the CSCS and forget **** or would you advise the heavy studying for the CSCS to begin now. As I said I'm outlining the entire book and then plan on getting real at home tests.

My main goal from grad school is kinesiology there is no just exercise science. Grad schools are interesting. WIU offers a lot and I mean a lot of ways to get paid for school plus tuition and has a very good program for those wanting to work as a strength coach. UIC offers a great clinical program and an easy to transfer to a doctorate where they will pay for a lot of it.

Here is how it goes I will finish my masters at in theory 27 and my doctorate at 29. Do I really want to be in school that long.... I was told no school will hire you as a professor without being a doctorate no matter how good your credits are.

Steelwolf

Steelwolf

Awards
  • Established
I took the CSCS test, didn't study one bit and passed it. I thought it was extremely easy. I took it about 2 years ago now, and you don't have to have a certain major to take it. However, I don't think you need a CPT and a CSCS cert. Choose one or the other depending on the population you're planning on working with. Fat loss/general - cpt Athletic/performance - CSCS. If you're not going to be working with anyone at the moment, either cert is worthless IMO. There is nothing on there that you shouldn't already know just from practicing strength training and following a structured program. What is your reasoning for taking either/both?
Long term goals of strength and conditioning coach while personal training on the side. Need these to do an internship at anyone of the Universities I want to go. I met with my department head yesterday and she said rack up papers like no other.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The CPT is not that bad; I passed it when I was 19 with maybe a month of off and on studying and did not have a real grasp of ex phys at the time.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
My main goal from grad school is kinesiology there is no just exercise science. Grad schools are interesting.

Long term goals of strength and conditioning coach while personal training on the side. Need these to do an internship at anyone of the Universities I want to go. I met with my department head yesterday and she said rack up papers like no other.
You should look into schools that have a strength and conditioning masters program. Springfield college (Mass) has a really good one, and a lot of grads are placed right after they graduate with collegiate or pro teams. A buddy of mine is working as an assistant strength coach for the Buffalo Bills.

If your goal is S&C, then the CSCS will help. You'll also need formal education, generally a masters, and a lot of internship time as well as connections. Make sure the school you go to is accredited by the NSCA for strength and conditioning, and see what the professors/advisors have for contacts.

Next, I suggest you look into what it means to be a strength coach. The time, travel, and pay involved. I started my grad academic career wanting to be a strength coach at an elite level. However, while in school I found the hard science and the research and discovery of new material was more fascinating than the application and coaching. I also was dissuaded by the average work day (12 hours) and the pay. Also, realize, there is a big difference between being a personal trainer and a strength coach. You may be working with 20-30 athletes at one time as a S&C coach.

WIU offers a lot and I mean a lot of ways to get paid for school plus tuition and has a very good program for those wanting to work as a strength coach. UIC offers a great clinical program and an easy to transfer to a doctorate where they will pay for a lot of it.
Most grad schools offer fellowships where tuition will be reimbursed, so I wouldn't make that your number one priority.

Here is how it goes I will finish my masters at in theory 27 and my doctorate at 29. Do I really want to be in school that long.... I was told no school will hire you as a professor without being a doctorate no matter how good your credits are.
Yup, I will be finished with my PhD at 30. And yes, its not likely you'll get a job as a professor on the tenure track without a PhD.

But, if you want to be a professor, also realize you are going to be in school the REST of your life. Big colleges expect you to carry out experiments and publish in scholarly journals. its a lot of research and a lot of writing. If you don't enjoy researching and writing about topics within the exercise and sport sciences field, then I would heavily suggest against going on for the PhD.

Br

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Having majored in Kines, the CSCS was basically a giant review of my accumulated knowledge. I found it difficult, but not overwhelming. On the other hand, I also know of class-mates on their 3rd and 4th attempt. I thought the CSCS contained a lot of exercise phys and biomechanics, at least my version was from what I remember.

I took it the first semester of my senior year and got it shortly after, which must have been a mistake somewhere, because I wasn't suppose to get it until I graduated. I took the computerized test, maybe that's why?

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
University's like to see a CSCS combined with an MBA, at least the division I schools do.

Also, the private gyms around here pay more for a CSCS, then someone who is just a certified personal trainer, but that's not universal. The private gym I work actually pays you accordig to how many and what certifications you hold, but again, not universal. The more qualifications the better, imho (to an extent). Sometimes it's your arsenal of certs that edges out the next guy.

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
University's like to see a CSCS combined with an MBA, at least the division I schools do.

Also, the private gyms around here pay more for a CSCS, then someone who is just a certified personal trainer, but that's not universal. The private gym I work actually pays you accordig to how many and what certifications you hold, but again, not universal. The more qualifications the better, imho (to an extent). Sometimes it's your arsenal of certs that edges out the next guy.
Why would you get an MBA and a CSCS cert unless you planned on opening your own gym?

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Why would you get an MBA and a CSCS cert unless you planned on opening your own gym?
Division I Universities and pro sports teams look for that in an S&C coach. At least the ones my friends were accepted to. I wouldn't see a need for either a CSCS or an MBA to open your own gym. Most private gym owners I know have a BS at best and not in Kines or anything Kines related. Just ambition, personal fitness experience, a plan and an approved business loan.

Hell, there are a good share of "S&C" gym owners in Orange County, CA who wear shirts that say Strength & Conditioning Coach and probably aren't even CPR certified, let alone CSCS. As long as it doesn't say Certified or NSCA on there, they can conduct business if they're owners.

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
MBA = Masters of Business Administration. I still don't understand why someone would need an MBA to work as a college strength coach.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
MBA = Masters of Business Administration. I still don't understand why someone would need an MBA to work as a college strength coach.
I'm sorry, I simply meant a Masters in something Kines related. Brain fart on my end. I could see where that would make you scratch your head.

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
I'm sorry, I simply meant a Masters in something Kines related. Brain fart on my end. I could see where that would make you scratch your head.
Haha, yeah that makes more sense. I was honestly picturing some guy in a suit and tie working in a college gym setting. Weird.

SRS2000

Awards
  • Established
I took the CSCS exam several years ago. I had a bachelor's degree in nutrition at the time. I studied the big NSCA textbook and got one exercise technique DVD and did well on the test. For a strength and conditioning job at a big school, a Master's degree will help. What will help even more is having internship experience and working with a program that is well connected in the S&C world. Many of those jobs are still more about who you know than what you know.
I did my Master's work at Appalachian State and I know their exercise science master's program has a track with a S&C focus. They also have good GA opportunities with the S&C staff, state-of-the-art stregth, speed, and body composition testing, and seem to have a decent track record of getting people connected for jobs after graduation.