Stretch or not to Stretch, that is the question.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Save the statics for post workout and the antagonists (ie: hip flexors before squats) during the workout.

Start your workout with a light aerobic warm up and dynamic mobility drills.

Br

drinkyboy

Awards
  • Established
Why is this always being asked? you should always stretch at some point or warm up some how!

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
Stretching hip flexors before lifting is almost always a good idea. Also, if you static stretch and then mobilize the area, there is no problem.

Steelwolf

Steelwolf

Awards
  • Established
Since everyone wants to be technical the worse time to static stretch is postworkout.

Now onto the actual points. I have done both static stretching and mobility workouts before actual training. Does static stretching do all those terrible things they say it does... Not on at least. Does mobility help more for me... well yes it does. You gotta go with what works. Dont always get some anal what the new study says go with what works. I bet you give it a few years and a new study will come out saying this study is bs.

protempsfish

Awards
Agreed. One cannot always believe what they read. But the article is fairly convincing, no?

Steelwolf

Steelwolf

Awards
  • Established
Agreed. One cannot always believe what they read. But the article is fairly convincing, no?
One of my study in school is heavy based research phycology. You can manipulate and write data anyway you want to make it believable.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Short static stretches at the beginning can help to loosen some fascia. The problem with it, however, is that most do it for too long.

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
Well I think that if you're stretching antagonists, like ZiR Red mentioned, you can actually benefit from static stretching beforehand. Case in point, stretching out your pecs/internal rotators before overhead squats usually makes it easier to get into the bottom position.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Since everyone wants to be technical the worse time to static stretch is postworkout.

Now onto the actual points. I have done both static stretching and mobility workouts before actual training. Does static stretching do all those terrible things they say it does... Not on at least. Does mobility help more for me... well yes it does. You gotta go with what works. Dont always get some anal what the new study says go with what works. I bet you give it a few years and a new study will come out saying this study is bs.
While I whole-heartedly agree with you in regards to being critical when looking at research, especially non-scholarly articles filled with bias and jargon, I disagree with your comment about static stretching before workout.

There is an overwhelming amount of primary research that has reported a decreased power output when static stretch holds were performed prior. This has been done on lower body from squats to jumps to sprints, and upperbody as well. Fact is, acute static stretching prior to a powerful contraction reduces the stiffness of the musculotendinous junction and decreases muscle spindle activity. In laymans terms, it reduces the rubber band like nature of the muscles that provides that extra kick of force.

Br

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
While I whole-heartedly agree with you in regards to being critical when looking at research, especially non-scholarly articles filled with bias and jargon, I disagree with your comment about static stretching before workout.

There is an overwhelming amount of primary research that has reported a decreased power output when static stretch holds were performed prior. This has been done on lower body from squats to jumps to sprints, and upperbody as well. Fact is, acute static stretching prior to a powerful contraction reduces the stiffness of the musculotendinous junction and decreases muscle spindle activity. In laymans terms, it reduces the rubber band like nature of the muscles that provides that extra kick of force.

Br
Post-training is the BEST time to stretch because the muscle has already been loosened and the elasticity is at it's highest.

However, I partially disagree that static stretching prior to training is detrimental. IMO, it's the amount of stretching that matters. Short burst static stretching (after a nice dynamic warm-up) helps with mobility and flexibility without taking away from power output.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Post-training is the BEST time to stretch because the muscle has already been loosened and the elasticity is at it's highest.

However, I partially disagree that static stretching prior to training is detrimental. IMO, it's the amount of stretching that matters. Short burst static stretching (after a nice dynamic warm-up) helps with mobility and flexibility without taking away from power output.
I agree with you 100%. I should have been more clear and emphasized longer duration holds.

I always perform a series of walking quad stretches, walking figure 4's, walking knee to chest, etc. with each hold lasting about 2-4 seconds.

Br

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established

Br
I don't care what the research says, in practice, static stretching followed by mobility work is beneficial. There is no decreased power output or any other stuff you mentioned. I've yet to see a study that shows static stretching with mobility work performed AFTER to be detrimental.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Wear Red, I agree, and I should have been more specific in my description.

Let me try this again...

Performing a static stretch hold of longer duration (I would say greater than 15 sec) immediately prior to lift will reduce force output.

This means, stretching the pecs for 30 seconds on each side set between sets of bench press. Or stretching the ham strings and glutes right before performing the vertical jump.

A lot of powerlifters and sprinters perform what you described. A warm up and static stretching about 30 minutes out, and then another warm up consisting of mobility drills about 5 min outs from competition.

Br

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
Wear Red, I agree, and I should have been more specific in my description.

Let me try this again...

Performing a static stretch hold of longer duration (I would say greater than 15 sec) immediately prior to lift will reduce force output.

This means, stretching the pecs for 30 seconds on each side set between sets of bench press. Or stretching the ham strings and glutes right before performing the vertical jump.

A lot of powerlifters and sprinters perform what you described. A warm up and static stretching about 30 minutes out, and then another warm up consisting of mobility drills about 5 min outs from competition.

Br
Ah gotcha. Yes I concur. People actually do what you mentioned? Stretch right before?

naturalgainer

naturalgainer

Awards
  • Established
I would say definitely do a little stretching during the warm up so you have best range of motion so you dont tear something!

Sweekaters

Awards
I static stretch before lifting. I know I might be experiencing a 26.583% reduction in force output, or whatever, but I don't really care. Stretching keeps me from feeling pain intra and post workout, and helps me move through the full range of motion. I would rather deep squat 350lbs than quarter squat 400lbs to be honest.

diezel

Awards
  • Established
There are a lot of good points here. Warming up is great, but done correctly with mobility work or with GPP. A cold muscle shouldn't ever be stretched (at least not with a static stretch. . Stretching a cold muscle will lead to tear or pull. Also people have to stop doing those twist stretches with the bar behind their necks before their workouts. This is terrible for the spine.

Legacyfighter

Legacyfighter

Awards
  • Established
Stretching right before lifting will only lead to decreased performance, it doesnt even help with injury rates. Stretch after lifting. You should warm up before lifting, this is because most of the body's physiological processes work more efficiently at a slightly elevated core temperature.

Legacyfighter

Legacyfighter

Awards
  • Established
Always start each exercise with a lighter set, especially if you feel like you usually have trouble getting a full range of motion.

drinkyboy

Awards
  • Established
Always start each exercise with a lighter set, especially if you feel like you usually have trouble getting a full range of motion.
I always laugh at these kids at my gym that try to max out on there first set...they fail and I dont see them bench again for a week or two because they got hurt. IMO you should do some sort of warmup reguardless. Never go cold.

bezoe

bezoe

Awards
  • Established
Personally, only time i stretch is in the morning while im yawning or periodically throughout the day lol.

I do a lighter warmup set when i walk into the gym before my first working set and thats it. No stretch before, no stretch after.

The points made about force production being reduced is correct. Rodja, yes loosening up some fascia is ok. Ultimately though, if one increases tissue extensibilty with long duration static stretching before a workout, they are taking away "passive length tension" properties, which could possibly lead to injury quicker than training with a non stretched muscle.

When i start to see difficulty in my daily functionality, ill stretch those hindering muscles a bit ;)

bezoe

bezoe

Awards
  • Established
Oh and just FYI.. its been recognized that more MLB atheltes have suffered injuries since stretching has been utilized more over the years. Peculiar eh?