What exercise to wear a lifting belt?

Page 2 of 2 First 12

1. Heavy Squats, Deads, Shoulder Press and Push Press.

2. Heavy is relative. What is heavy?
    If a paltry 135lb squat is "heavy," should one use a belt? I'm sure most would agree that a belt is not needed at 135lb for the average male. So, when, as a percentage of bw, or static wt, would one recommend using a belt?
    •   

3. I wouldn't use belt in any exercise if not really needed.. Deadlifts and squats are that kind of exercises that I could consider using belt.. And only at 1 rep max tests, not before I can do reps with +400lbs in deadlift and +300lbs in squat without belt..

4. Quote Originally Posted by gaijininjapan View Post
    Heavy is relative. What is heavy?
    If a paltry 135lb squat is "heavy," should one use a belt? I'm sure most would agree that a belt is not needed at 135lb for the average male. So, when, as a percentage of bw, or static wt, would one recommend using a belt?
    You kinda overthought your statement. Heavy is relative to the person and should be used at >85% 1RM regardless of the raw weight.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

5. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    You kinda overthought your statement. Heavy is relative to the person and should be used at >85% 1RM regardless of the raw weight.
    Well, what I meant was, would you really recommend using a belt if an average person say... 165lb, 5'9", 18%bf... could only lift 165 for a 1RM? When suggesting that using a weight belt for lifting "heavy," one should really clarify what "heavy" is, in relative terms. Personally, I don't think anyone who can't do a minimum of 8reps @ 1.25bw (for squats/DL) should ever use a weight belt for those lifts. Nor should they be trying for their 1RM. But that's just me. I'd like to try using a weight belt to see if I can hit 2x bw on my squats. Now that would be awsome.

6. Quote Originally Posted by gaijininjapan View Post
    Well, what I meant was, would you really recommend using a belt if an average person say... 165lb, 5'9", 18%bf... could only lift 165 for a 1RM? When suggesting that using a weight belt for lifting "heavy," one should really clarify what "heavy" is, in relative terms. Personally, I don't think anyone who can't do a minimum of 8reps @ 1.25bw (for squats/DL) should ever use a weight belt for those lifts. Nor should they be trying for their 1RM. But that's just me. I'd like to try using a weight belt to see if I can hit 2x bw on my squats. Now that would be awsome.
    This is too extreme, but I agree with the general thought. Working on your 1RM even if it's low is not problematic. I do see a problem though if you're wearing a belt for squats and your 1RM is sub 200, and that is about your body weight. At the end of the day the weight belt is only going to help you lift, not do the lifting for you, and you'll need the core strength to move heavier weight (we can safely assume you wish to move more weight at some point in time). Thus, train without a belt until you start reaching supra BW lifts to develop that core strength, and only when you're lifting somewhat heavy in an absolute sense use a belt (be it for 1 rep or 20 reps).

I also never use a belt for deadlifting or rack pulling, but perhaps that's just a personal preference. I do have to bend forward a lot more than most people when I squat so I guess I dont use a belt for pulling to further develop my lower back.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Weight Lifting Belt
    By Jorsn in forum Supplements
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-05-2011, 03:32 PM
  2. lifting belt necessary for dead lifts?
    By Super Penguin in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-07-2009, 08:36 AM
  3. Blue GENE, to wear or not to wear....
    By GreenSquats in forum Controlled Labs
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-23-2008, 06:02 AM
  4. Schiek Leather Lifting Belt
    By Whaler in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-22-2007, 01:29 PM