An Insiders Secret

iron addict

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Please do not misinterpret me when I slam volume training from time to time. I am not anti-volume work. Only anti-volume for those that can't handle the workload. And the truth is, most can't unless it is very strategically "waved" or intensity/volume cycled. I train some of my personal training clients using volume work. BUT........ONLY THOSE THAT BODIES CAN HANDLE IT WELL. THEY ARE A SMALL SEGMENT OF THE TRAINING POPULACE. I train a LOT more using strategically "waved" or intensity/volume cycled volume training. And of course, most get fairly low volume work because it is what they respond best to, and is at the limits of their bodies recovery ability.

That was no secret. So what is the "insiders secret" I was alluding to? Well the secret is that a LOT of the guys you see on the boards going on and on about volume training, or how overtraining is a fallacy, are guys that are quite new to the lifting game. They decide to get started bodybuilding. Read the shiny muscle mags about the pro's, start doing volume work just like the big-boys, and BAM! They make some good newbie size and strength gains! They go on the boards and talk all-up how well this type of training works, and some time later BAM again. They fall flat on their faces and all progress stops. Some of these guys end up being personal training clients of mine. Since I have followed many of their posts on various boards throughout time, I see where the volume illusion ended up popping, and they decide to make a change.

Don't listen to anything but your OWN body. If volume works for you use it! It's a great tool for those it works for. But if your not growing now, how is it supposed to "magically" start working one day??

Iron Addict

Deano

Awards
Iron,

Do you think it is a good idea to throw in a week of volume like every other month or so? I am pretty much doing a low volume split now and have kind of hit a wall. Do you think a week of volume would do me good? I am cutting and i understand, that is probably why i have hit the wall. I just want to say thanks to you for some great info because before my cut i was going up in all exercises every workout (AS free). I incorperated a lot of things from your site into my plan.

Thanks again,
Deano

alke

Awards
true, true....a newbie could do ANY routine and gain 20 pounds of muscle, but you wont see the mag saying that, they want to sell the mag LOL

I think the biggest "insider secret" is just to keep a log. Write your **** down, once you find a system where your increasing resistance by 5-20 pounds each week, your golden...that is the routine for you. till then, keep that log going and experiment with different styles.

although I have to admit that when I stareted I did the same thing everyone does and emulated routines printed in mags, then you get smart or you keep going in week after week wondering why you aint growing or getting stronger.

I do strip sets (I call them machine gun sets) like a muthaf cause they work for me and get things growing, I would not have found that out without a log.

iron addict

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Deano,

A week on volume every now and again is fine, and so is waved volume, and rotational volume work at a level YOUR body can tolerate. Do I think it is the answer to you hitting a wall while dieting? No, there are other reasons for this, but I would need a LOT more info to deterime the cuase in your specific case.

Iron Addict

Sir Foxx

Sir Foxx

Awards
  • Established
IA,

Could you please define what you consider "volume" work. Thanks.

iron addict

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Anything much more than 6-8 work sets per muscle.

IA

morfiend

Awards
  • Established
jesus christ, 105 pushups in a minute.. i gotta see a video of this.. crazy mother fucker...

i'm trying to visualize what this looks like in my head and just can't..

thats almost 2 a second...

Sir Foxx

Sir Foxx

Awards
  • Established
Ok, so you would consider this volume(for Chest):

Bench Press: 1 warmup set of 135 x 10
3 sets of 10-8-6 reps 245 lbs, 295 lbs, 315 lbs

Incline Press: 3 sets of 10-8-6 reps 175 lbs, 205 lbs, 225 lbs

Weighted Dips: 2 sets 12-10 reps 45 lbs, 75 lbs

Flat Bench Flyes: 2 sets 10-8 reps 50 lbs, 60 lbs

I'm asking because I've been doing something like this for the last 2 1/2 months(exercises change all the time) and whereas I'm still growing, my partner has hit the wall. I've suggested he take time off, which he is for the next 4 days, and then I thought maybe taking him to a 6 exercise all body workout for a couple of weeks, 2 to 3 times per week, just using one exercise per body part for 2 sets. Something like this:

Bench Press 2 sets 10-8 reps
Barbell Curl 2 sets 10-8 reps
Squat 2 sets 10-8 reps
Bent-over Row 2 sets 10-8 reps
Side Lats 2 sets 10-8 reps
Lying Tricep Curl 2 sets 10-8 reps

Exercises would change each workout but the basic structure would stay the same.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

iron addict

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Sir Foxx,

That is a sound strategy and probably just what his body needs to get in "grow mode" again.

Iron Addict

alke

Awards
Ok, so you would consider this volume(for Chest):

Bench Press: 1 warmup set of 135 x 10
3 sets of 10-8-6 reps 245 lbs, 295 lbs, 315 lbs

Incline Press: 3 sets of 10-8-6 reps 175 lbs, 205 lbs, 225 lbs

Weighted Dips: 2 sets 12-10 reps 45 lbs, 75 lbs

Flat Bench Flyes: 2 sets 10-8 reps 50 lbs, 60 lbs

I'm asking because I've been doing something like this for the last 2 1/2 months(exercises change all the time) and whereas I'm still growing, my partner has hit the wall. I've suggested he take time off, which he is for the next 4 days, and then I thought maybe taking him to a 6 exercise all body workout for a couple of weeks, 2 to 3 times per week, just using one exercise per body part for 2 sets. Something like this:

Bench Press 2 sets 10-8 reps
Barbell Curl 2 sets 10-8 reps
Squat 2 sets 10-8 reps
Bent-over Row 2 sets 10-8 reps
Side Lats 2 sets 10-8 reps
Lying Tricep Curl 2 sets 10-8 reps

Exercises would change each workout but the basic structure would stay the same.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
yep, I agree, looks good.

that looks like an hour to an hour and a half gym time. If he has never done a full body workout, then it should also be fun, which will make it easier to add intensity to the routine (but do not confuse intensity with failure here)

make sure he has his post workout meal/shake ready :)

alke

Awards
jesus christ, 105 pushups in a minute.. i gotta see a video of this.. crazy mother fucker...

i'm trying to visualize what this looks like in my head and just can't..

thats almost 2 a second...
heh, not something to rush into :)

I did not get to make a vid of my last speed test, I hope to on my next go round in a few weeks. just something I do on my cut to add some sarcoplasmic hypertrophy.

****Here is me when I did 77 Push-ups in a minute with 2 short breaks to catch my breath:

77 push-ups in one minute

there is sound on this link, and you might need to shrink the window to clean up the resolution on the image......