Bent over row help

coldseed

coldseed

Awards
About 2 months ago I discovered I have spondylolisthesis making bent over rows almost impossible to do.

So I guess I'm looking for a great alternative. We all know bent over rows add some serious muscle to your back and I'm not sure what exercise is just as or almost as good.

Thanks.

10bathroomsO

10bathroomsO

Awards
  • Established
one handed dumbell row, underhand chin ups

SouthernCharm

SouthernCharm

Awards
  • Established
About 2 months ago I discovered I have spondylolisthesis making bent over rows almost impossible to do.

So I guess I'm looking for a great alternative. We all know bent over rows add some serious muscle to your back and I'm not sure what exercise is just as or almost as good.

Thanks.
I'm not sure that anyone here is qualified to give you advice based on your situation. If you have a medical condition, especially in your lower back, you may want to see a doctor and see what he/she thinks. JMO

*note- discussion forums are great but no substitute for professional medical advice.

10bathroomsO

10bathroomsO

Awards
  • Established
oh sc haha i wasnt trying to tell him these wouldnt effect his condition he asked for an alternative to bent barbell rows so i just listed some alt's lol, im not sure what the condition is but if you shouldnt be lifting any heavy objects i would leave the weights alone period bro

SouthernCharm

SouthernCharm

Awards
  • Established
based on a search i just pulled up, I wouldnt lift anything until you talk to your doctor.

Spondylolisthesis is a condition in which a bone (vertebra) in the lower part of the spine slips forward and onto a bone below it.

Spondylolisthesis may vary from mild to severe. A person with spondylolisthesis may have no symptoms.

The condition can produce increased lordosis (swayback), but in later stages may result in kyphosis (roundback) as the upper spine falls off the lower spine.

Symptoms may include:

* Lower back pain
* Muscle tightness (tight hamstring muscle)
* Pain in the thighs and buttocks
* Stiffness
* Tenderness in the area of the slipped disc

Nerve damage (leg weakness or changes in sensation) may result from pressure on nerve roots and may cause pain radiating down the legs.

10bathroomsO

10bathroomsO

Awards
  • Established
oh snap i retract any advice
for reason: dont wanna feel bad if you did damage somehin due to my adivce

gamer2be08

gamer2be08

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Treatment
Treatment varies depending on the severity of the condition. Most patients get better with strengthening and stretching exercises combined with activity modification, which involves avoiding hyperextension of the back and contact sports.
Some health care providers also recommend a rigid back brace.
Surgery to fuse the slipped disc may be needed if you have severe pain that does not get better with treatment, a severe slip of the vertebra, or any neurological changes. Such surgery has a higher rate of nerve injury than most other spinal fusion surgeries. A brace or body cast may be used after surgery.

So, depending on your severity, light back work and stretching would help your condition. Add in HGH, deca and test and you might get some amazing results.

Is this disorder completely curable though?

If it is, then work on that.

SouthernCharm

SouthernCharm

Awards
  • Established
HGH is expennsssiivveee bro! Youre better off talking to the doc before anything, but i agree if your problem is not severe see what you can do to get feeling better

gamer2be08

gamer2be08

Banned
Awards
  • Established
HGH is expennsssiivveee bro! Youre better off talking to the doc before anything, but i agree if your problem is not severe see what you can do to get feeling better
All you gotta do is a save up a couple thousand and that is enough HGH for 3-4 months at a good dose... Add in some HG deca and test and you will be feelin good.. Deca and HGH can heal your body, joints, tendons well if your arent heavy lifting while on..

SouthernCharm

SouthernCharm

Awards
  • Established
All you gotta do is a save up a couple thousand and that is enough HGH for 3-4 months at a good dose... Add in some HG deca and test and you will be feelin good.. Deca and HGH can heal your body, joints, tendons well if your arent heavy lifting while on..
Ok well still, a couple of thousand lol.. More money then I want to invest on it. HOWEVER I could see myself saving a bit and running some bigger numbers of it in a few years lol

Killerkanadia

Killerkanadia

Awards
  • Established
So, depending on your severity, light back work and stretching would help your condition. Add in HGH, deca and test and you might get some amazing results.

This man is a true doctor. Take his advice!

C

CJPopovich

Awards
  • Established
My wife has this issue, and I have a variety of low back issues, pick one and I can tell you about it, lol.

Anything chest supported will work just fine as a substitute for bent over rows. Don't forget all the pulling the vertical plane you can do (i.e. pullups).

coldseed

coldseed

Awards
Thanks for all the replies.
Yeah...apparently I was born with this, but never knew about it until recently.
They grade it on a scale from 1-4, with a rating of 4 you need surgery. I am only a 1.

I was laid up for a week where I couldn't do too much of anything. It was by far the worst pain I have ever dealt with. I was told by the doctor to strengthen my core to prevent any more slippage. I haven't had any pain in about 4 weeks or so. It came out of nowhere and then just disappeared. I can still feel a little "something" down in my lower back from time to time with my job, but I just have been very careful in and out of the gym.

He told me to stay away from squats, but he said in time and with proper form and patience I can still do any other exercise. Even deads!

S

SRS2000

Awards
  • Established
I have a training partner with this condition and he has squatted over 1000 lbs. in competition. He has always done a ton of lower back and ab work and avoids anything that hurts his back. Even if you don't aspire to squat 1000 lbs., lots of low back and ab strengthening can go a long way toward holding everything stable.

lonewolf0420

lonewolf0420

Awards
  • Established
I'm not sure that anyone here is qualified to give you advice based on your situation. If you have a medical condition, especially in your lower back, you may want to see a doctor and see what he/she thinks. JMO

*note- discussion forums are great but no substitute for professional medical advice.

What he said, but maybe try inverted rows. I've read if done correctly, can stimulate the lats just as good as BB or DB rows.

SouthernCharm

SouthernCharm

Awards
  • Established
What he said, but maybe try inverted rows. I've read if done correctly, can stimulate the lats just as good as BB or DB rows.
i dont know what that is, but i could always look it up and throw it in next weeks back workout!

lonewolf0420

lonewolf0420

Awards
  • Established
Inverted Rows

Try elevating your legs

SouthernCharm

SouthernCharm

Awards
  • Established
dont laugh but i like the smith machine lol

10bathroomsO

10bathroomsO

Awards
  • Established
i like the smith machine just fine, it works good

lonewolf0420

lonewolf0420

Awards
  • Established
I think like other machines, the smith machine has its place. Is it just has good as BB or DB? HELL NO! could it be used effectively for exhausting a muscle group? Yes. Your stabilizing muscles can only take so much abuse, at a time. So following up a BB or DB exercise, you could overload or finish off the muscles using the smith machine.

I was reading yesterday, that during his pre-contest training, Cutler performs his deadlifts on the smith machine. It helps take his hips and stabilizing muscles out of play, and allows him to gain a better contraction, focused on his lower back. Which makes sense.

You pound your body with squats, and really deliver a finishing blow with smith machine Hack Squats.

The Smith Machine exercises are basically like an isolated, compound exercises. Are isolation exercises, as effective as compound movements? NO, but they do have their place.

Just my