8 hrs sleep at night vs. 6 hrs-night + 2hr nap-day

1. Board Supporter

8 hrs sleep at night vs. 6 hrs-night + 2hr nap-day

I Don't seem to be getting close to enough sleep at night, but I have been taking naps during the day. Anybody know if there is a big difference between 8 hrs a sleep at night and sleeping 6, then taking a 2 hour nap? Only thing I can think of is that the majority of REM sleeps occurs after the 6th hour of sleep..

Good question....don't really know though. The added nap is better than nothing of course. I've always read that REM sleep occurs after 1.5 hours of sleep. And that its best to get in 3 deep sleep cycles of 2.5 hours each. So 3 of those would be 7.5 hours....

So, if that was the case, then an extra cycle later on in the day to make up for the last one you missed at night would probably be the same...
  3. Registered User

The stages of sleep is a repetitive cycle. REM sleep increases in length as one sleeps for longer periods. For instance, the first time one reaches REM sleep in may only last 10minutes, but as the sleep cycle continually repeats itself, the time spent in REM increases(a good thing). REM sleep is important for brain function. Consequently, continuous sleep is beneficial so more time is spent in REM.

If you are having trouble sleeping maybe think about using valium or ambien. It will help one sleep better and GH release. However, if you are just unable to get long sleep, a nap is a very good idea.
    •   

4. board observer

I have some more questions about sleep (Hopefully I'm not hijacking this thread. If I am, just tell me to **** off.)

Is there a such thing as too much sleep? Or is this just a myth?

I've read before that if you have to use an alarm clock to wake up, then you're not getting enough sleep. Yet probably 90% of americans (if not more) wake up to an alarm every day.

I wonder if I'd just get used to it if I only let myself sleep 6 or 7 hours a night.

You see, I recently started a new job where I work from 3pm to 11pm. Usually I come home, eat something, take a shower, wind down, and try to get to bed around 1 or 2am. The way it's going now, I don't need an alarm to make sure I'm up for work in time. BUT, I love sleep. Some days I sleep for 10 hours or more. Sort of makes for a short day, which is bad.

Also, I'm having trouble figuring out if I should work out before or after work. I guess that's a whole other thread though.

Anyways, I'd appreciate any advice you could give me. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Moyer
    I have some more questions about sleep (Hopefully I'm not hijacking this thread. If I am, just tell me to **** off.)

Is there a such thing as too much sleep? Or is this just a myth?

I've read before that if you have to use an alarm clock to wake up, then you're not getting enough sleep. Yet probably 90% of americans (if not more) wake up to an alarm every day.

I wonder if I'd just get used to it if I only let myself sleep 6 or 7 hours a night.

You see, I recently started a new job where I work from 3pm to 11pm. Usually I come home, eat something, take a shower, wind down, and try to get to bed around 1 or 2am. The way it's going now, I don't need an alarm to make sure I'm up for work in time. BUT, I love sleep. Some days I sleep for 10 hours or more. Sort of makes for a short day, which is bad.

Also, I'm having trouble figuring out if I should work out before or after work. I guess that's a whole other thread though.

Anyways, I'd appreciate any advice you could give me. Thanks.

Hey man, **** off!!! J/K...

I use an alarm clock just in case, but my body just adapts and gets used to my morning wake-up time on its own. It's like an internal clock...

Dunno about too much sleep..... I know that sleeping is one of my favorite things to do though...and when I sleep a good part of the day sometimes on weekends, etc, I feel immotivated and feel like crap when I finally do wake up...thats just me though...
  6. Board Supporter

Size, thanx for the reply. My problem isn't that I am having trouble sleeping, it is just a lack of time during the day. I LOVE SLEEP AS WELL. I can't think of the last time I really had trouble sleeping...

Moyer, interesting topic you bring up because I have sort of a related story. When I was in middle school (around 12 or 13), during the summer my parents never really signed me up for any summer activities or anything, so I had nothing to do. As the summer went on and on I started sleeping more and more to the point of almost 12-13 hrs a day. I started feeling really weird (cloudy head/almost depressed, immotivated), and my parents took me to the doctor and had a **** load of blood work done. I was fine, my doctor just recommended I get on some sort of routine where I was being forced to wake up. Although this could be totally unrelated b/c a 12 year old fat kid is different from a 21-year old lifter.
  7. Registered User

you'd release more HGH if you slept 6hrs + 2hr nap than you would if you slept 8hrs straight
  8. Registered User

Because..... ?
  9. Running with the Big Boys

Actually, I did remember reading something recently that was talking about that there might be a limit to how much sleep we need.. that the magic number is around 8 hours.. give or take 1/2 hour either way and if you go under or over it might have detrimental effects on your health

Quote Originally Posted by DieTrying
    Size, thanx for the reply. My problem isn't that I am having trouble sleeping, it is just a lack of time during the day. I LOVE SLEEP AS WELL. I can't think of the last time I really had trouble sleeping...

Moyer, interesting topic you bring up because I have sort of a related story. When I was in middle school (around 12 or 13), during the summer my parents never really signed me up for any summer activities or anything, so I had nothing to do. As the summer went on and on I started sleeping more and more to the point of almost 12-13 hrs a day. I started feeling really weird (cloudy head/almost depressed, immotivated), and my parents took me to the doctor and had a **** load of blood work done. I was fine, my doctor just recommended I get on some sort of routine where I was being forced to wake up. Although this could be totally unrelated b/c a 12 year old fat kid is different from a 21-year old lifter.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-03-2010, 08:30 AM
  2. PCT supplements making it hard to sleep at night
    By ryaroberts in forum Post Cycle Therapy
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 11-17-2008, 04:46 PM
  3. can't sleep at night while taking nolva
    By ryaroberts in forum Post Cycle Therapy
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-03-2008, 06:51 AM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-21-2008, 10:54 AM
  5. Does Sleeping at night verses the day time matter for gain muscle?
    By John Smeton in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-21-2007, 09:21 PM