Will doing cardio slow down muscle gains?

TheRonin391

Awards
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello,

I'm currently in a bulking phase, I was on a bulking diet for 1 month but I wasn't gaining weight but then my trainer gave me a new diet, it is something like this:

7:30 AM- 9 Egg whites, 2 waffles, and 2 spoons of penut butter
9:30 AM- 8oz of chicken and a cup of brown rice
12:00 PM- 8oz of chicken and a cup of brown rice
2:00 PM- 8oz of chicken and a cup of brown rice
4:00 PM- 2 Scoops on Nitro Core 24 Shake
6:00 PM- 8oz of chicken and a large green apple
8:00PM- ON Protein Shake
10:00PM- 2 talapias and veggies
2:00 AM- Cassein Protein ON

Plus I also take SizeOn MP, Ive been on this diet for about 2 weeks and I have gained 4 lbs...I don't really look fatter BUT my pants do fit somewhat tighter... I want to gain as much muscle fast as possible (dont we all) so I had avoided doing cardio because they had told me that doing cardio would slow down size (muscle) gains... But my trainer said to do 30 minutes of cardio 4 times a week and first thing in the morning to control the fat gains and to stimulate the metabolism to use calories efficiently. He said to not take out food from my diet and just do light cardio.......SO my question is, will doing this cardio slow down my muscle gains?

deadaim

Banned
Awards
  • Established
yes and no. The best thing to do would be to eat calories to make up for your cardio.

but I would say do 2 intense cardio sessions a week, and on those days eat like 400-500 calories more. Youll be in cardio vascular shape but still gain musclessss.

gamer2be08

gamer2be08

Banned
Awards
  • Established
**** cardio. Workout, eat, play COD4 and sleep. Possibly **** your GF..

gymrat827

Awards
  • Established
Agree on COD but modern warfare 2 is the way to go.

Now on to you ?, cardio is good for heart health but you want to do it in the am or pm and lift in the opposite.

I do cardio, abs, calves 3 days a wk. I go to the gym in the am before work or I run 3-4miles and get ready for my day. Than around 5-6pm i go back to lift. You want to have the cardio seperate from lifting for horomone release. hitting the treadmill after the weight mess with your natural GH release and should not be done in a mass gaining phase.

TheRonin391

Awards
Agree on COD but modern warfare 2 is the way to go.

Now on to you ?, cardio is good for heart health but you want to do it in the am or pm and lift in the opposite.

I do cardio, abs, calves 3 days a wk. I go to the gym in the am before work or I run 3-4miles and get ready for my day. Than around 5-6pm i go back to lift. You want to have the cardio seperate from lifting for horomone release. hitting the treadmill after the weight mess with your natural GH release and should not be done in a mass gaining phase.
I plan to do the cardio in the morning and the weight training at night, will do cardio like at 630AM and the weight trainign like at 800PM

gamer2be08

gamer2be08

Banned
Awards
  • Established
If you are really bulking, STOP DOING CARDIO.. Leave cardio for a cut or recomp!

Jasen

Jasen

Awards
  • Established
i prefer cardio many reason
-cut Bf
-stabilize balance throughout body
-regulate body systems
-and finally..... it helps if recovery 2 me atleast

Dizmal

Dizmal

Awards
  • Established
I like cardio just because it allows me to lift with higher intesity. If not, I'm huffing and puffing between heavy weight sets and just aren't recovering quick enough imbetween those sets.

If your body isn't in good shape cardio wise it can affect your lifting IMO. Unless if you're a strongman, I think it would be beneificial.

UKStrength

I would change your cardio to HIIT during a bulking phase to help minimise fat gain, although this depends on how lean you are before you start bulking. I personally keep the LISS in during bulking, but then I try not to go above 9-10% bodyfat year round and focus on my breakdancing for explosive 'HIIT'-style training.

You could throw in a couple of longer aerobic sessions if you're worried about fitness. If you're not gaining weight, then you simply need to eat more and if you're like me, then that's a bonus :)

Sweekaters

Awards
I think cardio is important during bulking unless you're very close to a competition or something. Just look at most of the powerlifters who tell you to never do cardio because it will hurt your gains, they can't tie their shoes without getting gassed!

kingdong

kingdong

Awards
  • Established
I think cardio is important during bulking unless you're very close to a competition or something. Just look at most of the powerlifters who tell you to never do cardio because it will hurt your gains, they can't tie their shoes without getting gassed!
As fit as you would expect ANY athlete to be, a lot of power lifters seem to be big roided creatures just waiting to die young.

anoopbal

Awards
Doing cardio is good during a bulking phase:

1. Increase insulin sensitivity and hence better nutrient partitioning.
2. Keep the visceral fat under check.

Jasen

Jasen

Awards
  • Established
yes^ hence why i always do cardio. just nto now due to ACL tear

SuperRook

Awards
I personally do not like to include cardio during a bulk phase.

If you had to I would recommend a LOW INTENSITY cardio such as 30 minutes walking keeping between 120-130 BPM.

Jasen

Jasen

Awards
  • Established
yes that what i do no since i got torn ACL. its all good advice here! except i do 45 min with l-carnitine 2g

SuperRook

Awards
Yeah I usually use some ALCAR for my cardio.

I would say anything up to 60 minutes at a time is perfect.

CJPopovich

Awards
  • Established
When I was initially gaining weight, I stopped all cardio as I would lose weight too easily. Now that I've been holding my current weight (265ish) for some time, I have re-introduced quite a bit of cardio, and it's not subtracting from my strength gains at all. I actually think it helps my recovery. I don't do a ton of it, I keep it moderate, and the health benefits are undeniable. If I were to do it all over again, I'd keep some easy cardio in there to stay in decent shape as I went up. If you're slowing down in your weight gain progress, simply eat a little more.

anoopbal

Awards
I think it is better to do some elliptical which uses your upper body too. If the increase in insulin sensitivity is indeed helpful, doing some upper body cardio makes sense.

Increase in insulin sensitivity is contraction specific.

nemo

nemo

Awards
  • Established
I just increase my bcaa's before cardio to prevent muscle breakdown!

southpaw23

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I just increase my bcaa's before cardio to prevent muscle breakdown!
How much should you take before fasted cardio? 5 grams or more mixed in sports drink seem sufficient?

mikemd21289

mikemd21289

Awards
personally I only do cardio with my d**k ;)

nemo

nemo

Awards
  • Established
I use Extend and take a 3/4 dose,.. so about 10 grams!