Reverse-Grip Bench Press on Smith Machine for Triceps

Rock Lee

Awards
I read recenty that these are great for tricep mass, but I was a little confused about the description. It said to push northward and eastward...would that be towards one's feet or head? I would think feet, but I wasn't sure. Also when working in a smith machine, should the bar be lowered to the nipple as is usually the case, or should it be lowered above or below the nipple to hit the triceps better? Lastly, I read that a "wide" grip should be used, but how wide is wide? Just wider than shoulder width or just about touching the ends of the BB?

Thanks.

phenom9950

Awards
do not closegrip to where your hands are touching personally i keep my hands to where the tread on the bar starts so its in a strait motion from the sides of my torso strait to the bar as for where you should lower the bar id guess on a little lower then the nipple or you could just do jm press do a search online on what it is...

phenom9950

Awards
www.elitefts.com look for QandA then look for powerlifting then bench jm press is something that will totally increase tri size and bench strength :D give it a shot :D

phenom9950

Awards
nevermind its in the excercise index of Q&A

Jcc

Awards
  • Established
Towards your feet. I'm going just barely below nipple level. And hands slightly wider than shoulder width, but keeping elbows tucked in. Clear as mud?

fiddler

Awards
all i can add is that it works really well. my tri's are running into my lats now...

fiddler

kmac6225

king of useless information!!!
Awards
  • Established
the grip and actual placement depend on the person. IA has me doing these and they work all 3 heads real well. Its an akward lift to get used to for me at least but it pays off if you can work them into your routine

LM600

Awards
the grip and actual placement depend on the person. IA has me doing these and they work all 3 heads real well. Its an akward lift to get used to for me at least but it pays off if you can work them into your routine
This excersise does work as it gives a better range of motion/movement to the tri's...but it puts a hell of a lot of pressure on your wrists - well it does for me with my girly lil wrists! :(

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
i dont do them since i can hit all three heads of the triceps with other exercises without putting the forementioned wrist pressure.
Sage

fiddler

Awards
This excersise does work as it gives a better range of motion/movement to the tri's...but it puts a hell of a lot of pressure on your wrists - well it does for me with my girly lil wrists! :(
i don't feel any pressure on my wrists. you do them differently than if you are doing close grip bench press. for the reverse grip, DC says to put your hand shoulder width apart.

If you put them too close together it hurts like hell!

fiddler

iron addict

Banned
Awards
  • Established
This is one of those lifts that most lifters need to play with a little (or a lot) to find proper hand and bar posistion to make work well. it is also a lift that MANY just should not do because for some people it WILL lead to injury. Try spacing your hands wider or narrower (not too narrow ever) and work with where the bar contacts your sternum. If you can't find a posistion that feels TOTALLY natural with ZERO discomfort STOP DOING THEM!!!!!!

Iron Addict

jdev

Awards
  • Established
Ive been doing apparently a very wide grip. at least at the second grip on the bar. Would this be working more of the chest rather than triceps? I really need to improve my triceps.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
i tried this exercise awhile back. This stresses my wrists way too much, for me anyway.

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I feel this in my bi's more than anything :wtf:
Try doing them like this(go to 3:15)
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14QcYGsryN8"]YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.[/nomedia]

That is how DC recommends them, and it really does hit ur tri's more.

jdev

Awards
  • Established
i tried a very close grip recently and it killed my tris. i could lift a lot less weight with the close grip.

Suaveat69

Awards
I used to do them with a cambered bar. It was a real PIA to load that little bar up with weights but my tri did grow.