Squats and Deads widen the waist???

Page 2 of 2 First 12

  1. There's plenty of proof that if you wear a belt during squats and deads, as well as bench and everything else -> you focus the efforts on just the front section of your abs, making them larger and stronger while the obliques are nearly untouched. Wear the belt and be done with it. Get huge lumps for abs and never add width to your mid-section.


  2. Absolutely CM!!!!! If you are doing heavy squats and dead there better some core work.
    •   
       


  3. Quote Originally Posted by gamer2be08 View Post
    No they will not.. My waist is still 28 inches after 2 years of bulking and heavy squats/dlifts


    So for two years you have been "going heavy" and incresing the weight every week? But you claim your waist is still at 28"? which i dont doubt by the way. What I do find provactive is your definition of "going heavy" because brother if you been at the squat and dead for two years going heavy and adding weight every week their aint no way your waist is 28"! How much you squating now 600 ATG for reps? cmon?

    In my experience YES you will add thickness to your core (waist) when going heavy. I have since backed off a bit but two years ago I was squating 425x10ATG and Dead lifting 495-515x6 for 3 sets and my core grew! I was a 30" waist before i started really going heavy, I am a solid 32" now and i dont see it changing.

    Genetics play a role here sure but eventualy you will knock that wall down.

  4. Quote Originally Posted by Boatcop1 View Post
    So for two years you have been "going heavy" and incresing the weight every week? But you claim your waist is still at 28"? which i dont doubt by the way. What I do find provactive is your definition of "going heavy" because brother if you been at the squat and dead for two years going heavy and adding weight every week their aint no way your waist is 28"! How much you squating now 600 ATG for reps? cmon?

    In my experience YES you will add thickness to your core (waist) when going heavy. I have since backed off a bit but two years ago I was squating 425x10ATG and Dead lifting 495-515x6 for 3 sets and my core grew! I was a 30" waist before i started really going heavy, I am a solid 32" now and i dont see it changing.

    Genetics play a role here sure but eventualy you will knock that wall down.
    Agreed

  5. I wouldn't doubt it, squats and deads are two of the best exercises for your full body to benefit from...mid section probably most or second most. My waist has increased by 1/2" or so over the past 5 months and I only DL 265 and squat 300. Honestly I coudl care less though because I used to have an inverted Y body, I've always had huge quads, and now that I am deadlifting and squatting my upper body is more of a V so my overall form is an X. 24.5" thighs, finally starting to see some seperation

  6. grow bigger shoulders and dont worry about it.

  7. Quote Originally Posted by MongoSS View Post
    grow bigger shoulders and dont worry about it.
    haha yep!

  8. Well, I squat for the spiritual bliss of it ... and because squating heavy, heavy weight shoots my testosterone into outer space.

    Yeah ... it might increase your waist a bit ... I dunno. I'm a big guy - if they made jeans in size 35, that's what I'd wear - but I wear 36 since they don't. That's prolly bigger than most of you guys but my shoulders are a lot wider than most people ... my shoulders respond to training like a balloon to helium (they blow the **** up) - so I'm not worried about my waist.

    I like the "look" from doing squats - especially if you can get lean enough to exploit the "carve" it gives to your body. I can usually tell if a guy squats by looking at him. I can certainly tell when a gal squats by checking out her ass ... LOL ... I'm always on the lookout for female squatters!

    Squatting and Deadlifting develops very large numbers of muscles in your body ... I'm too stupid to even know how many but I'm sure it's a lot. You can't just "not" do squats. Suffer through the couple of inches it "might" put on your waist and reap the benefits of spiritual bliss and testosterone fog it offers.

  9. ive done oly lifting since i was 12, im now 26. When I dieted down to 6% bf 2 years ago, I had a 29" waist and could still pull 505 raw.

    I think that i has to do with genetics, bone structure and bodyfat. That being said, i believe that if i was cloned and that clone did not do squats and deads, his waist would probably be smaller.

  10. It could be possible that if you haven't matured (genetical predisposition) yet that squatting and deadlifting could speed up the process. If you are your full size then they will not make them grow. There could be some fluctuation seen, but that is about it.
    •   
       


  11. Quote Originally Posted by CaponeCEO View Post
    It could be possible that if you haven't matured (genetical predisposition) yet that squatting and deadlifting could speed up the process. If you are your full size then they will not make them grow. There could be some fluctuation seen, but that is about it.
    No. Increase your squat and DL a lot and your waist WILL grow. Heavy weights increase your core size and strength. It is a fact. Gain about 30-40 pounds and heft some heavy poundages and you will find out.

  12. Quote Originally Posted by Blacktail View Post
    No. Increase your squat and DL a lot and your waist WILL grow. Heavy weights increase your core size and strength. It is a fact. Gain about 30-40 pounds and heft some heavy poundages and you will find out.
    So you are saying the bone structure itself will grow, or that the accessory muscles will grow causing the increased waist size?

  13. Quote Originally Posted by CaponeCEO View Post
    So you are saying the bone structure itself will grow, or that the accessory muscles will grow causing the increased waist size?
    The Density of your bones will increase. Your tendons will become steel cables and yes your entire core will become carved out of marble. AS LONG as you train and eat correctly. I am not talking fat increase in the midsection either. Your erector spinae,obliques and all abdominis groups will all strengthen and grow. Heavy weights can and will do this to you.

  14. All this talk of squatting and deadlifting makes me want to throw a few plates on each side of the bar and go at it! :drool:

  15. and yes, I don't even work my obliques as they are big enough from heavy squatting and deads.

  16. erector spinae and abdominals will grow in response to deadlifts squats, so yes you could add some width to your waist... but if your adding inches and inches, then your prob just getting fat.

  17. Arnold was notorious for his small waist - his favorite lift - straight leg deads. I think the waist growth is very minimal.

  18. Quote Originally Posted by Carcaya View Post
    Arnold was notorious for his small waist - his favorite lift - straight leg deads. I think the waist growth is very minimal.
    Arnold was chemically and genetically gifted, so that point is moot, I definitely feel there is at least to some degree an increase in the size of the midsection, due to the stress of the exercises, it was already written much clearer by somebody else.
    PHF Rep


  19. You cannot gain entrance into heaven unless you squat and deadlift.

    The Native Americans smoked herbs to bring them visions of God because they didn't have barbells and squat racks. Thankfully we have these things today and can be one with the universe through the sacrament of the squat and dead.

  20. Quote Originally Posted by HondaV65 View Post
    You cannot gain entrance into heaven unless you squat and deadlift.

    The Native Americans smoked herbs to bring them visions of God because they didn't have barbells and squat racks. Thankfully we have these things today and can be one with the universe through the sacrament of the squat and dead.
    this is true

    ditto to movinweight's post

  21. loving this thread

  22. I found when i started taking a deep breath just before i was about to pull my waist started widening. First time I done it I woke up the next day and my actual core was sore as hell. Felt like I was sick it was that sore. Couldnt move out of bed.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Alternative to squats and deads
    By smith22 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-11-2010, 08:16 PM
  2. temp sub for deads and squats
    By zodiiac523 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 03-30-2010, 03:37 PM
  3. HELP!! Cant Do Squats or Deads!!!
    By AndreAnabolic in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-03-2009, 04:13 AM
  4. Squats and Deads = bigger waist?
    By KingMeso in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 03-29-2008, 04:54 AM
  5. Deads, squats, and hip pain
    By Jcc in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-16-2003, 05:30 PM
Log in
Log in