Lateral Delts - New moves?

cowboy007

cowboy007

Awards
  • Established
Aside from lateral raises (cables, DB, or machine) are there any exercises that target the outer delt with stronger emphasis? My front and rear delts are strong and show decently, but I feel my lateral is lagging.

ItsHectic

Awards
  • Established
Upright rows or do a search for contreras.

lonewolf0420

lonewolf0420

Awards
  • Established
Wide-grip upright rows, done properly.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I much prefer leaning side laterals to the regular version. Less momentum and more emphasis on the actual medial delt.

carnivalhobo

Awards
smythe machine seated behind the neck press.

This really nails them

cowboy007

cowboy007

Awards
  • Established
Awesome suggestions. I enjoy upright rows..but when you say wide grip..how far out are you talking?

lonewolf0420

lonewolf0420

Awards
  • Established
Awesome suggestions. I enjoy upright rows..but when you say wide grip..how far out are you talking?
Out side shoulder width. Only pull to your nipple line.

I make sure and do these in front of a mirror, for form. during a warm-up set I find the best hand position by starting at a point outside shoulder width, and perform the movement. I watch in the mirror for my lateral delts to start popping out, and adjust my grip accordingly.

SouthernCharm

SouthernCharm

Awards
  • Established
i love face pulls but i feel them more in my rear delts.....?

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
i love face pulls but i feel them more in my rear delts.....?
Only with a band will you hit the medial head. With the rope att. on a cable stack it's pretty much all rear delts/traps, but as soon as you have to pull your hand apart as well as back, the medials come into play.

I superset it with push press or rack press usually for extra fun.

lonewolf0420

lonewolf0420

Awards
  • Established
I find them to be more effective on the lateral head using a neutral grip. Like this guy:

SouthernCharm

SouthernCharm

Awards
  • Established
Only with a band will you hit the medial head. With the rope att. on a cable stack it's pretty much all rear delts/traps, but as soon as you have to pull your hand apart as well as back, the medials come into play.

I superset it with push press or rack press usually for extra fun.
cool i guess i just have stronger medial delts then i thought. i do this same exact method. I pull back and as wide as I can, about the heighth of my ear with the tricep rope on the cable stack. usually do 160 x 12 170 x 10 and 200 x 8 if im feeling up to it

i have maxed it out but it was towards the beginning of a workout, after t bars and bent rows i struggle at 200 lol

Im pretty sure i have scalpular disfunction. I have a much stronger chest than I do back, and it shows. I have been trying to hit back real hard, doing different things to really get my lats working. im heavy as it is and with the strain it puts on my shoulders its hard to do pull ups lol

lonewolf0420

lonewolf0420

Awards
  • Established
Im pretty sure i have scalpular disfunction. I have a much stronger chest than I do back, and it shows. I have been trying to hit back real hard, doing different things to really get my lats working. im heavy as it is and with the strain it puts on my shoulders its hard to do pull ups lol
I feel your pain.

I have a paralyzed thoracic nerve, down my left side.

SouthernCharm

SouthernCharm

Awards
  • Established
lonewolf0420

lonewolf0420

Awards
  • Established
damn thats gotta suck!
It can be trying sometimes.

Makes certain moves uncomfortable, do to instability. It's caused my left side to drop a little. So I always have to be conscious of my posture, and form.