legth of work out

Montesano813

Awards
I work out for about a hour and a half to a hour and 45 mins and then afterwards I do cardio for 30 mins. I was wondering if that is too long to be working out?

ambulldog

ambulldog

Awards
  • Established
id say too much if you're looking to build muscle. if endurance and getting lean are your goals your g2g

gymrat827

Awards
  • Established
To build muscle lift for 45 min than drink pro-carb shake. If u do card do it on off days or first thing am

triton185

triton185

Awards
  • Established
Im in for 45 minutes if no cardio. But I don't rest much.

wedlund6

Awards
  • Established
legs 1 hour +
back 45 min to 1 hour
shoulders 30 to 45 min
the bigger a muscle the more angle i like to hit it from that takes more time

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
about 1 hour for me, depending on the temp in the gym maybe +/- 15mins

bkoguy07

bkoguy07

Awards
  • Established
I workout about 2 hours every night. I'm about to start doing cardio and cut resting times so I"ll probably end up working out 2hr 30 mins at most (45mins of cardio) Long workouts work fine for me...

gymrat827

Awards
  • Established
The reason why you dont lift for longer than 45-50min is because your cortisol levels suprass test levels after that amount of time. You can only stress the body so hard for so long.

There was an article in Muscle & Fitness about how long NFL teams worked out their players, most were between 40-45min and the longest was 65min. They have the best trainers out there along with tons of other staff.

triton185

triton185

Awards
  • Established
Well, a lot people in the gym spend half their time talking.............I put the ipod on get at it. My life is too busy to be screwing off in the gym all night.

lonewolf0420

lonewolf0420

Awards
  • Established
Your goal is to go in, kick the $h!t out of yourself, and get out. It doesn't take long to do that, weight training.

SRS2000

Awards
  • Established
The reason why you dont lift for longer than 45-50min is because your cortisol levels suprass test levels after that amount of time. You can only stress the body so hard for so long.

There was an article in Muscle & Fitness about how long NFL teams worked out their players, most were between 40-45min and the longest was 65min. They have the best trainers out there along with tons of other staff.
The hormonal aspect of this whole thing is vastly overrated and not really well understood. It's highly debatable whether any increase in testosterone concentration during and shortly after training have and significant effect on size or strength. You will also always get an acute cortisol spike with hard training, it's chronic elevation of cortisol that should be avoided.
With all that being said, it's still a good idea to avoid marathon training sessions for the most part. If it takes you forever to finish your training, you are either wasting too much time or you are simply doing too much. Trying to kill yourself lifting for 2+ hours is just a bad idea for most people and does more harm than good. Of course their are always exceptions like strongman event training or geared powerlifting.