Overdoing it with Trap Exercise?? Whatya think?

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. Overdoing it with Trap Exercise?? Whatya think?


    Just wanted some input and advice on my Trap exercise. I think i may be overdoing cause i get really sore for like 3 days after i do my trap exercises (mainly my traps and neck). And i only do this once a week. Dumbbell shrugs i pyramid up to about 120 130 5 sets. And ez bar shrugs i pyramid up to about 180 and do about 7 sets of those. Been working out for a little over a year now. I do a lot of sets cause my traps R lacking (they are finally getting bigger though)! Am i over training my traps? Whatya think? Lighter weight, fewer sets? And of course i do other shoulder exercises when i am working out shoulders. Just wanna know what ya think about my trap exercises, thanks!


  2. haha you answered your own question, if they're catching up to your other bodyparts they are most likely benefiting from the extra effort! Good work!

    I really like performing eccentric based deadlifts/rack pulls to get that deep tear in the traps, maybe you could just swap out some lifts to keep things fresh?

  3. Yeah well the thing is working them out hard 4 so long they should be bigger. I think my traps have gotten used to the same 2 shrug exercises, possibly. And am limited to exercises as i work out from home. As far as deadlifts that would be nice, but im not a veteran bodybuilder yet and i hear that if you dont have good form u can really mess up your back from those. I really dont wanna end my bodybuilding career short, lol.
    •   
       


  4. I was shown a nice trick by a bb at my gym. He holds 2 dumbells in front of his abs like hes getting read to do DB lateral raises, then he shrugs. It definitely hits the traps at a different angle. What about upright rows? They work traps as well

  5. Hmm, just 3 sets of DB shrugs a week as made my traps blow up.. They are ****in huge now..

  6. Quote Originally Posted by cowboy007 View Post
    I was shown a nice trick by a bb at my gym. He holds 2 dumbells in front of his abs like hes getting read to do DB lateral raises, then he shrugs. It definitely hits the traps at a different angle. What about upright rows? They work traps as well
    Yes i do those as well, thanks 4 the tip though!

  7. In my experience traps are one of those muscles that you need to completely destroy with lots of sets and heavy weights. Using wraps also really upped my size and strength drastically. Don't be afraid to hit them from different angles. Traps are on your back technically so I have found it beneficial to do some sets behind the body as well as in front.

  8. In my opinion heavy deadlifts and rowing movements will make up the base of your trap training. Shrugs and other isolation movements are then just the finishers for your trap work. Go to any powerlifting meet and you'll see plenty of people with pretty big traps, yet most don't do any more than 2-3 sets of shrugs per week with a moderate weight. They do perform lots of heavy pulls (deadlifts, rack pulls, etc...) and plenty of heavy rowing movements.
    If you don't know how to DL correctly, learn how and start deadlifting. If you want other training ideas do an internet search for "The Yoke + Jim Wendler".

  9. I wish that was an option 4 me. I workout from home in the second floor guest bedroom. I have the equipment but i really dont wanna put a hole through the floor, lol! Im actually making good progress though with the ez bar and dumbell shrugs and rows- (palms up and down). Im up to 200lbs on the ez bar now. I could prob. shrug more but gravity is a Mother F'er! ha. I find it hard to hold that much weight for so many reps and sets. gravity takes a toll on my shrugs!

  10. Consider yourself lucky. I wished my traps still got sore.
    NSCA - CSCS

  11. Give em a break for a few weeks then work them out hard, they will prob be sore the next day!

  12. Quote Originally Posted by VolcomX311 View Post
    Consider yourself lucky. I wished my traps still got sore.
    3 sets of shrugs a week is all my traps need to get sore and xplode

  13. How much weight r u shrugging? ez bar or dumbell?

  14. Quote Originally Posted by jcr1 View Post
    How much weight r u shrugging? ez bar or dumbell?
    DBs, no straps. Go heavy or go home.

  15. Quote Originally Posted by gamer2be08 View Post
    Hmm, just 3 sets of DB shrugs a week as made my traps blow up.. They are ****in huge now..
    lol pics or it aint true


    and ill post mine if you post yours
    Bench - 355
    Squat - 405
    Deadlift - 600

  16. deads and t bar thats how it's done

  17. Quote Originally Posted by bkoguy07 View Post
    lol pics or it aint true


    and ill post mine if you post yours
    Well I dont have before trap pics, so I cant compare my traps now to how they were previously. Alls I know is what im doing works for me..

  18. 3 sets really aint crap! BUT.. If you do 3 sets a week for years it adds up, your taps will grow. They will grow slow with those few sets but they will indeed grow!

  19. i dont do a lot of direct trap work at all. dl's and rows seem to do the trick for me

  20. I guess I'm lucky with traps. Heavy bent over rows and DLs are all they need. Shrugging always seemed like such a boring excersize...

  21. Quote Originally Posted by Dizmal View Post
    I guess I'm lucky with traps. Heavy bent over rows and DLs are all they need. Shrugging always seemed like such a boring excersize...
    BLASPHEMY!! j/k, to each their own. My traps are respectably developed, but I have to put in isolated work.
    NSCA - CSCS

  22. Haha, well I did the isolations like shrugs in the past. Once I started doing heavy rows and deads my traps took off. So I just stopped doing shrugs.

  23. Quote Originally Posted by Dizmal View Post
    Haha, well I did the isolations like shrugs in the past. Once I started doing heavy rows and deads my traps took off. So I just stopped doing shrugs.
    I know people like that. I'm not one of them.
    NSCA - CSCS

  24. Quote Originally Posted by jcr1 View Post
    3 sets really aint crap! BUT.. If you do 3 sets a week for years it adds up, your taps will grow. They will grow slow with those few sets but they will indeed grow!
    Are you stupid or something!? My traps grow fast as hell with just 3 sets a week. Of course I do my deads and rows, but that isnt direct trap workout. Everybody's bodies are different, just because your traps dont grow super fast with just a few sets doesnt mean mine wont.

  25. Dead lifts are direct traps work. It's not isolated, but it's as direct as saying squats are direct quad work. Other muscles are heavily involved, but the traps are one of the major, MAJOR players in a dead lift.

    and to be fair, you never mentioned deads and rows, you just said 3 sets of shrugs, which I found odd myself. Dead, rows and shrugs combined, yes, you have a solid program for blowing up your traps. BB rows tax the traps as well. Your traps begin at the upper/middle of your back, not just around the neck. Deads will actually have a more profound effect on traps then shrugs. You only hit the top portion of the traps with shrugs, Deads hit the other 3/4 portion of the traps and takes the traps stimulation through maybe an 80% greater ROM.

    It's all good though, no need to get upset. I'd take your BF% over my traps.
    NSCA - CSCS

  26. Quote Originally Posted by VolcomX311 View Post
    I know people like that. I'm not one of them.

    Don't worry. My back is the only body part on me that appears to be like that. Everything else needs direct work after the compound movments.

    Sometimes I wish it was other parts(delts/arms). But being that I like big traps and that I find shrugs so boring. I'm glad my traps do well enough without them.

  27. Quote Originally Posted by Dizmal View Post
    Don't worry. My back is the only body part on me that appears to be like that. Everything else needs direct work after the compound movments.

    Sometimes I wish it was other parts(delts/arms). But being that I like big traps and that I find shrugs so boring. I'm glad my traps do well enough without them.
    Back is the key for the appearance of beast like size, so consider yourself lucky. Massive forearms are also a good beast body part.
    NSCA - CSCS

  28. I feel your pain as my traps don't seem to want to grow very well. I too have to do a lot of work for them to get any bigger. I would suggest that you do a variety of trap type exercises, and to take from Jim Wendler, on stuff like triceps pushdowns, also be shrugging your traps real hard the whole time. In addition, stuff like upright rows (if your shoulders can handle them), incline shrugs, etc are useful. Don't JUST shrug for traps.

  29. Quote Originally Posted by VolcomX311 View Post
    Back is the key for the appearance of beast like size, so consider yourself lucky. Massive forearms are also a good beast body part.
    Definitely. A big back is very noticeable and makes one look thick.

  30. Quote Originally Posted by gamer2be08 View Post
    DBs, no straps. Go heavy or go home.
    Now that's what I'm talkin' about!

  31. Quote Originally Posted by VolcomX311 View Post
    Consider yourself lucky. I wished my traps still got sore.
    Im right there with you. It's about the only body part I can blast with no pain
    **** Line @ NUTRAPLANET

    All posts are for entertainment purposes only.

    Need2slin... NOM NOM NOM :yup:

  32. Got it!

  33. I do 3 exercises for my shoulders/delts and my traps grow fine. I keep seeing more and more people listing their routines that are way to much. Like six different exercises per body part, three sets each. More work and precious calories burned than needed. More is not better.

  34. Quote Originally Posted by SRS2000 View Post
    In my opinion heavy deadlifts and rowing movements will make up the base of your trap training. Shrugs and other isolation movements are then just the finishers for your trap work. Go to any powerlifting meet and you'll see plenty of people with pretty big traps, yet most don't do any more than 2-3 sets of shrugs per week with a moderate weight. They do perform lots of heavy pulls (deadlifts, rack pulls, etc...) and plenty of heavy rowing movements.
    If you don't know how to DL correctly, learn how and start deadlifting. If you want other training ideas do an internet search for "The Yoke + Jim Wendler".
    I agree. Dead-lifts will blow them up. I have exceptionally large traps for my size and I can attest them to dead-lifts. Stack the weight, wear a belt and kill it!

  35. i do lots of t-bar row and that seems to help me alot

  36. kewl

  37. T bars rock! How many sets and reps of dead lifts do you guys perform?

  38. I agree with all the posts above but for me shoulder shrugs have worked best

  39. 4 sets of heavy BB shrugs on a hardcore back day gets my traps sore for at least 2 days

  40. I dunno I have to disagree with some here... I here people preach all the time go super heavy on traps..and that may work for them..

    but IMO traps are not a large muscle group. I see people all the time with 4-5 plates each side shruging (or rather bouncing) away..with virtually no trap development. so really, what muscles are being worked? legs? calves? delts? In reality look at your biceps or even your pecs..they are a larger muscle group then your traps...can you bench 5 plates? Once again, IMO, Traps need to be isolated and hit hard. I have seen my traps grow far larger from doing shrugs with 225 and having no movement in my body except extreme trap isolation, then shrugging with 495 and honestly looking pretty ugly. I honestly have never seen anyone shrug 500 with PERFECT form. If you like going heavy, thats great...if you get good development, keep doing it. But you might try rotating workouts with extreme isolation on the traps and going super heavy. My days of going superheavy are over.. I have a rod and 6 screws in my back...Surprisingly my surgery has forced me to focus more and more on no movement whatsoever and perfect form...and my traps have actually grown.... Legs are another story, as I am only 16 weeks out from surgery and cant put to much pressure on my back that is needed to work legs correctly...

    so for thoose of you that shrug and shrug and get no growth..just reducing the weight a bit and focus on form and being super strict till you feel that burn deep in the muscle. You might be surprised. As I always say "check your ego at the door".. I do have to say i always find it amusing when I am doing strict curls with 40lbs and some 150'lbr pulls up next to me and does his full body curls with 45lbs. sorry, just can't preach Form enough.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Vitamins Am I overdoing it?
    By FatalFunnel in forum Supplements
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-03-2011, 10:51 PM
  2. My natural test stack whatya think?
    By jcr1 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 12-28-2010, 11:31 PM
  3. Morning Bulk Shake... Overdoing it?
    By SouthernCharm in forum Bulking
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-20-2010, 05:55 AM
  4. Overdoing PCT after Epi Cycle
    By pbrocky in forum Post Cycle Therapy
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-13-2009, 06:28 PM
  5. Am I overdoing it? - gained 18lb in 5wks
    By roznerd in forum Bulking
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-10-2009, 05:13 PM
Log in
Log in