Overdoing it with Trap Exercise?? Whatya think?

Page 2 of 2 First 12
  1. Banned
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    24.01%

NUFF Said. Thats how its done. Speedy recovery 2 u!

2. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  270 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    5.12%

i used to be 6-7 plate shrug guy.. as i've gotten older, i've lightened the weight, tightened up the form, and my trap size hasn't suffered at all. a medium to medium heavy weight, with nice crisp form, isolating the traps, IMO works as well if not better than going heavy, and leaves you at much less risk of low back injury...
  3. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    17.08%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by Pumpkinhead View Post
    I dunno I have to disagree with some here... I here people preach all the time go super heavy on traps..and that may work for them..

but IMO traps are not a large muscle group. I see people all the time with 4-5 plates each side shruging (or rather bouncing) away..with virtually no trap development. so really, what muscles are being worked? legs? calves? delts? In reality look at your biceps or even your pecs..they are a larger muscle group then your traps...can you bench 5 plates? Once again, IMO, Traps need to be isolated and hit hard. I have seen my traps grow far larger from doing shrugs with 225 and having no movement in my body except extreme trap isolation, then shrugging with 495 and honestly looking pretty ugly. I honestly have never seen anyone shrug 500 with PERFECT form. If you like going heavy, thats great...if you get good development, keep doing it. But you might try rotating workouts with extreme isolation on the traps and going super heavy. My days of going superheavy are over.. I have a rod and 6 screws in my back...Surprisingly my surgery has forced me to focus more and more on no movement whatsoever and perfect form...and my traps have actually grown.... Legs are another story, as I am only 16 weeks out from surgery and cant put to much pressure on my back that is needed to work legs correctly...

so for thoose of you that shrug and shrug and get no growth..just reducing the weight a bit and focus on form and being super strict till you feel that burn deep in the muscle. You might be surprised. As I always say "check your ego at the door".. I do have to say i always find it amusing when I am doing strict curls with 40lbs and some 150'lbr pulls up next to me and does his full body curls with 45lbs. sorry, just can't preach Form enough.
    I saw a study somewhere that said for traps to grow on most peopel, you would need to stimulate it with the heaviest weight possible..

The trap is also not a small muscle, but rather a moderate sized muscle..
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    6'3"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    53.9%

don't use sissy straps
  5. Banned
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    24.01%

Quote Originally Posted by gamer2be08 View Post
    I saw a study somewhere that said for traps to grow on most peopel, you would need to stimulate it with the heaviest weight possible..

The trap is also not a small muscle, but rather a moderate sized muscle..
    DANG that pic is hardcore, didnt know the trap muscle was that big!!
  6. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  267 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    55.31%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Deadlift and then without rest, immediatly superset into shrugs. Maybe try working directly on your traps every other week.
  7. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.38%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Pumpkinhead View Post
    I dunno I have to disagree with some here... I here people preach all the time go super heavy on traps..and that may work for them..

but IMO traps are not a large muscle group. I see people all the time with 4-5 plates each side shruging (or rather bouncing) away..with virtually no trap development. so really, what muscles are being worked? legs? calves? delts? In reality look at your biceps or even your pecs..they are a larger muscle group then your traps...can you bench 5 plates? Once again, IMO, Traps need to be isolated and hit hard. I have seen my traps grow far larger from doing shrugs with 225 and having no movement in my body except extreme trap isolation, then shrugging with 495 and honestly looking pretty ugly. I honestly have never seen anyone shrug 500 with PERFECT form. If you like going heavy, thats great...if you get good development, keep doing it. But you might try rotating workouts with extreme isolation on the traps and going super heavy. My days of going superheavy are over.. I have a rod and 6 screws in my back...Surprisingly my surgery has forced me to focus more and more on no movement whatsoever and perfect form...and my traps have actually grown.... Legs are another story, as I am only 16 weeks out from surgery and cant put to much pressure on my back that is needed to work legs correctly...

so for thoose of you that shrug and shrug and get no growth..just reducing the weight a bit and focus on form and being super strict till you feel that burn deep in the muscle. You might be surprised. As I always say "check your ego at the door".. I do have to say i always find it amusing when I am doing strict curls with 40lbs and some 150'lbr pulls up next to me and does his full body curls with 45lbs. sorry, just can't preach Form enough.
    The whole of the traps covers half of your back. Not a big muscle group? The reason dead lifts are so much more effective then shrugs is because deads take tax the traps in a greater ROM. The traps primary function is shoulder girdle retraction, which you stimulate with the the ROM in the dead lift. Shrugs only tax their very minimal function of shoulder girdle elevation. The traps are a HUGE muscle group.

That said, a lot of people perform shrugs wrong. They simply lift their shoulders, as oppose to pulling the entire shoulder girdle up.
    NSCA - CSCS
  8. Banned
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    24.01%

Nicely done Volcom!
  9. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'2"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    21.92%

behind the back barbell shrugs, they hit the whole group
  10. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  181 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    96.92%

Quote Originally Posted by cowboy007 View Post
    I was shown a nice trick by a bb at my gym. He holds 2 dumbells in front of his abs like hes getting read to do DB lateral raises, then he shrugs. It definitely hits the traps at a different angle. What about upright rows? They work traps as well
    Interesting...Thanks for the tip.
  11. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    82.04%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by VolcomX311 View Post
    The whole of the traps covers half of your back. Not a big muscle group? The reason dead lifts are so much more effective then shrugs is because deads take tax the traps in a greater ROM. The traps primary function is shoulder girdle retraction, which you stimulate with the the ROM in the dead lift. Shrugs only tax their very minimal function of shoulder girdle elevation. The traps are a HUGE muscle group.

That said, a lot of people perform shrugs wrong. They simply lift their shoulders, as oppose to pulling the entire shoulder girdle up.
    nicely stated Volcom
    Follow me on facebook, twitter and youtube, where I share information and videos to help you achieve your physique goals, John Smeton Ftness
  12. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    82.04%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Something I learned from Larry Scott too big Traps makes the shoulders look smaller. Sure you look like a monster with the massive traps they overpwoer the shoulders though

I would rather have my shoulder width appear wider.

I don't do any direct trap work, with the exception on dead lifts, rack pulls, the only time I do do trap work is pre contest and usually seated dumb bell shrugs and pausing at the top for two seconds.
    Follow me on facebook, twitter and youtube, where I share information and videos to help you achieve your physique goals, John Smeton Ftness
  13. Banned
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    24.01%

Yes behind the back barbell shrugs are great!
  14. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'0"  261 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    18.25%

Quote Originally Posted by VolcomX311 View Post

awesome post... i do deads and then just burn out on shrugs.. but i feel like i dont even need the shrugs after deads lol

good post bro. upper and lower traps make up a big portion of the back, i agree
    **** Line @ NUTRAPLANET

All posts are for entertainment purposes only.

Need2slin... NOM NOM NOM :yup:
  15. Banned
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    24.01%

Deads then burning out on shrugs sounds like a killer exercise!
  16. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    15.78%

Quote Originally Posted by jcr1 View Post
    DANG that pic is hardcore, didnt know the trap muscle was that big!!
    Exactly...do dead-lifts start light and go heavy. They are the hardest because they stimulate and stretch the most fibers! Don't waste your time with sissy stuff.
  17. purebred

Deads then burning out on shrugs sounds like a killer exercise!
    LOL@ burning out.Mad muscles.
  18. Banned
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    24.01%

Ill give it a go!
  19. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    84.49%

Just wanted some input and advice on my Trap exercise. I think i may be overdoing cause i get really sore for like 3 days after i do my trap exercises (mainly my traps and neck). And i only do this once a week. Dumbbell shrugs i pyramid up to about 120 130 5 sets. And ez bar shrugs i pyramid up to about 180 and do about 7 sets of those. Been working out for a little over a year now. I do a lot of sets cause my traps R lacking (they are finally getting bigger though)! Am i over training my traps? Whatya think? Lighter weight, fewer sets? And of course i do other shoulder exercises when i am working out shoulders. Just wanna know what ya think about my trap exercises, thanks!
    Way too much in my opinion.

I do 2 sets of traps a week. So 2 sets barbel to front or back, or 2 sets dumbell

and yeah deadlift hits them big time

take a look at an anatomy picture of what the traps actually are. look up some bodybuilders doing it. As you reach the top squeeze the traps up and back, pause it, and control down.

Concentrate more on the weight you are doing (increasing it) rather than the sets. your traps can handle 180. traps can take massive weight. If you can pyramid up to 180 you would be better off warming u then doing 225 for 6-8 reps.

I would say for you do 2 sets barbell then 2 sets dumbell. Get some straps for the barbell and go heavy with good form. Then on DB go lighter and get that massive squeeze in there.
  20. Banned
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    24.01%

I have been doing heavier shrugs BB. Its been working out great! I have also been doing DL cuz a lot of people have been saying it hits the traps well, and the only muscles that seem to get sore were my legs, Gluteus Maximus, and lower back... no trap soreness
  21. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    56.09%

I know it has been said in here already but deadlifts will help a ton.

My traps were lacking and not growing until I added in deadlifts.
    When you are coming up, make sure you focus on the trap squeeze and you will get a pinch that nothing else can give you
  22. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    84.49%

you can try doing the top portion of the deadlift like dorian yates. watch his video, it is all over the place. takes out a lot of the glute/leg action and stresses mainly the back.

i usually do deadlift 2 sets, 3 reps then the top portion 2 sets 8 reps

worth a try but dont do it if it feels off.

if you are deadlifting correctly and feeling lots of legs there is not much you can do, it is a anatomical thing. Strengthen those legs even more just make sure your deadlift form is good
  23. Banned
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    24.01%

GOT IT!
  24. Banned
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    24.01%

3 heavy sets of what?
  25. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    84.49%

shrugs. i used to do that too 4-6 reps on shrugs. Got to almost 7 plates side then my collarbone popped out one side and had enough months of recovery now i play it a little easier.
  26. Banned
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    24.01%

really wow thats crazy! Yeah ive been doing heavy 4 while and i scared my self one time too. I dont think my collar bone was about to pop out but.. I got this weird painfull feeling around my chest/clavicle area. I think i was just straining my chest and body. I was lifting so much weight i wasnt using proper form and i was also lifting with my chest. It hurt like he//! With bb shrugs.
  27. Banned
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    24.01%

Lets keep this good thread going people! Anyone else wanna put in there 2cents!? Cmon!
  28. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    25.64%

I think that for shrugs it is also about the contraction and the squeeze at the top it seems silly to have a ridiculous amount of weight and barely squeeze at the top of the rep or dont squeeze at all. I see it all the time. Also you can try super high reps I have responded with that as well over 30 reps
  29. Banned
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    24.01%

Hmmm over 30 reps per set. 3-4 sets? I may have to try that. I think some other people in this thread need to try that 2.. Like the guys that said go big or go home! lol.
  30. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    29.68%

Keep going hard man, no pain no gain. Good to hear your getting results. Another good shoulder work out are the farmer lifts. Basically just grab some real heavy dumb bells and walk around. Those are great for shoulders and other body parts too.
  31. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  228 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    0.29%

I do traps and calves every other day... just two to three sets, plus my neck routine. Not much fatigue until after back day.
  32. Banned
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    24.01%

Farmer walks are good!

Similar Forum Threads

1. Vitamins Am I overdoing it?
    By FatalFunnel in forum Supplements
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-03-2011, 11:51 PM