Overdoing it with Trap Exercise?? Whatya think?

Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last

  1. Quote Originally Posted by VolcomX311 View Post
    I know people like that. I'm not one of them.

    Don't worry. My back is the only body part on me that appears to be like that. Everything else needs direct work after the compound movments.

    Sometimes I wish it was other parts(delts/arms). But being that I like big traps and that I find shrugs so boring. I'm glad my traps do well enough without them.


  2. Quote Originally Posted by Dizmal View Post
    Don't worry. My back is the only body part on me that appears to be like that. Everything else needs direct work after the compound movments.

    Sometimes I wish it was other parts(delts/arms). But being that I like big traps and that I find shrugs so boring. I'm glad my traps do well enough without them.
    Back is the key for the appearance of beast like size, so consider yourself lucky. Massive forearms are also a good beast body part.
    NSCA - CSCS
    •   
       


  3. I feel your pain as my traps don't seem to want to grow very well. I too have to do a lot of work for them to get any bigger. I would suggest that you do a variety of trap type exercises, and to take from Jim Wendler, on stuff like triceps pushdowns, also be shrugging your traps real hard the whole time. In addition, stuff like upright rows (if your shoulders can handle them), incline shrugs, etc are useful. Don't JUST shrug for traps.

  4. Quote Originally Posted by VolcomX311 View Post
    Back is the key for the appearance of beast like size, so consider yourself lucky. Massive forearms are also a good beast body part.
    Definitely. A big back is very noticeable and makes one look thick.

  5. Quote Originally Posted by gamer2be08 View Post
    DBs, no straps. Go heavy or go home.
    Now that's what I'm talkin' about!
    •   
       


  6. Quote Originally Posted by VolcomX311 View Post
    Consider yourself lucky. I wished my traps still got sore.
    Im right there with you. It's about the only body part I can blast with no pain
    NTBM Line @ NUTRAPLANET

    All posts are for entertainment purposes only.

    Need2slin... NOM NOM NOM :yup:

  7. Got it!

  8. I do 3 exercises for my shoulders/delts and my traps grow fine. I keep seeing more and more people listing their routines that are way to much. Like six different exercises per body part, three sets each. More work and precious calories burned than needed. More is not better.

  9. Quote Originally Posted by SRS2000 View Post
    In my opinion heavy deadlifts and rowing movements will make up the base of your trap training. Shrugs and other isolation movements are then just the finishers for your trap work. Go to any powerlifting meet and you'll see plenty of people with pretty big traps, yet most don't do any more than 2-3 sets of shrugs per week with a moderate weight. They do perform lots of heavy pulls (deadlifts, rack pulls, etc...) and plenty of heavy rowing movements.
    If you don't know how to DL correctly, learn how and start deadlifting. If you want other training ideas do an internet search for "The Yoke + Jim Wendler".
    I agree. Dead-lifts will blow them up. I have exceptionally large traps for my size and I can attest them to dead-lifts. Stack the weight, wear a belt and kill it!

  10. i do lots of t-bar row and that seems to help me alot

  11. kewl

  12. T bars rock! How many sets and reps of dead lifts do you guys perform?

  13. I agree with all the posts above but for me shoulder shrugs have worked best

  14. 4 sets of heavy BB shrugs on a hardcore back day gets my traps sore for at least 2 days

  15. I dunno I have to disagree with some here... I here people preach all the time go super heavy on traps..and that may work for them..

    but IMO traps are not a large muscle group. I see people all the time with 4-5 plates each side shruging (or rather bouncing) away..with virtually no trap development. so really, what muscles are being worked? legs? calves? delts? In reality look at your biceps or even your pecs..they are a larger muscle group then your traps...can you bench 5 plates? Once again, IMO, Traps need to be isolated and hit hard. I have seen my traps grow far larger from doing shrugs with 225 and having no movement in my body except extreme trap isolation, then shrugging with 495 and honestly looking pretty ugly. I honestly have never seen anyone shrug 500 with PERFECT form. If you like going heavy, thats great...if you get good development, keep doing it. But you might try rotating workouts with extreme isolation on the traps and going super heavy. My days of going superheavy are over.. I have a rod and 6 screws in my back...Surprisingly my surgery has forced me to focus more and more on no movement whatsoever and perfect form...and my traps have actually grown.... Legs are another story, as I am only 16 weeks out from surgery and cant put to much pressure on my back that is needed to work legs correctly...

    so for thoose of you that shrug and shrug and get no growth..just reducing the weight a bit and focus on form and being super strict till you feel that burn deep in the muscle. You might be surprised. As I always say "check your ego at the door".. I do have to say i always find it amusing when I am doing strict curls with 40lbs and some 150'lbr pulls up next to me and does his full body curls with 45lbs. sorry, just can't preach Form enough.

  16. NUFF Said. Thats how its done. Speedy recovery 2 u!

  17. i used to be 6-7 plate shrug guy.. as i've gotten older, i've lightened the weight, tightened up the form, and my trap size hasn't suffered at all. a medium to medium heavy weight, with nice crisp form, isolating the traps, IMO works as well if not better than going heavy, and leaves you at much less risk of low back injury...

  18. Quote Originally Posted by Pumpkinhead View Post
    I dunno I have to disagree with some here... I here people preach all the time go super heavy on traps..and that may work for them..

    but IMO traps are not a large muscle group. I see people all the time with 4-5 plates each side shruging (or rather bouncing) away..with virtually no trap development. so really, what muscles are being worked? legs? calves? delts? In reality look at your biceps or even your pecs..they are a larger muscle group then your traps...can you bench 5 plates? Once again, IMO, Traps need to be isolated and hit hard. I have seen my traps grow far larger from doing shrugs with 225 and having no movement in my body except extreme trap isolation, then shrugging with 495 and honestly looking pretty ugly. I honestly have never seen anyone shrug 500 with PERFECT form. If you like going heavy, thats great...if you get good development, keep doing it. But you might try rotating workouts with extreme isolation on the traps and going super heavy. My days of going superheavy are over.. I have a rod and 6 screws in my back...Surprisingly my surgery has forced me to focus more and more on no movement whatsoever and perfect form...and my traps have actually grown.... Legs are another story, as I am only 16 weeks out from surgery and cant put to much pressure on my back that is needed to work legs correctly...

    so for thoose of you that shrug and shrug and get no growth..just reducing the weight a bit and focus on form and being super strict till you feel that burn deep in the muscle. You might be surprised. As I always say "check your ego at the door".. I do have to say i always find it amusing when I am doing strict curls with 40lbs and some 150'lbr pulls up next to me and does his full body curls with 45lbs. sorry, just can't preach Form enough.
    I saw a study somewhere that said for traps to grow on most peopel, you would need to stimulate it with the heaviest weight possible..


    The trap is also not a small muscle, but rather a moderate sized muscle..

  19. don't use sissy straps

  20. Quote Originally Posted by gamer2be08 View Post
    I saw a study somewhere that said for traps to grow on most peopel, you would need to stimulate it with the heaviest weight possible..


    The trap is also not a small muscle, but rather a moderate sized muscle..
    DANG that pic is hardcore, didnt know the trap muscle was that big!!

  21. Deadlift and then without rest, immediatly superset into shrugs. Maybe try working directly on your traps every other week.

  22. Quote Originally Posted by Pumpkinhead View Post
    I dunno I have to disagree with some here... I here people preach all the time go super heavy on traps..and that may work for them..

    but IMO traps are not a large muscle group. I see people all the time with 4-5 plates each side shruging (or rather bouncing) away..with virtually no trap development. so really, what muscles are being worked? legs? calves? delts? In reality look at your biceps or even your pecs..they are a larger muscle group then your traps...can you bench 5 plates? Once again, IMO, Traps need to be isolated and hit hard. I have seen my traps grow far larger from doing shrugs with 225 and having no movement in my body except extreme trap isolation, then shrugging with 495 and honestly looking pretty ugly. I honestly have never seen anyone shrug 500 with PERFECT form. If you like going heavy, thats great...if you get good development, keep doing it. But you might try rotating workouts with extreme isolation on the traps and going super heavy. My days of going superheavy are over.. I have a rod and 6 screws in my back...Surprisingly my surgery has forced me to focus more and more on no movement whatsoever and perfect form...and my traps have actually grown.... Legs are another story, as I am only 16 weeks out from surgery and cant put to much pressure on my back that is needed to work legs correctly...

    so for thoose of you that shrug and shrug and get no growth..just reducing the weight a bit and focus on form and being super strict till you feel that burn deep in the muscle. You might be surprised. As I always say "check your ego at the door".. I do have to say i always find it amusing when I am doing strict curls with 40lbs and some 150'lbr pulls up next to me and does his full body curls with 45lbs. sorry, just can't preach Form enough.
    The whole of the traps covers half of your back. Not a big muscle group? The reason dead lifts are so much more effective then shrugs is because deads take tax the traps in a greater ROM. The traps primary function is shoulder girdle retraction, which you stimulate with the the ROM in the dead lift. Shrugs only tax their very minimal function of shoulder girdle elevation. The traps are a HUGE muscle group.

    That said, a lot of people perform shrugs wrong. They simply lift their shoulders, as oppose to pulling the entire shoulder girdle up.
    NSCA - CSCS

  23. Nicely done Volcom!

  24. behind the back barbell shrugs, they hit the whole group

  25. Quote Originally Posted by cowboy007 View Post
    I was shown a nice trick by a bb at my gym. He holds 2 dumbells in front of his abs like hes getting read to do DB lateral raises, then he shrugs. It definitely hits the traps at a different angle. What about upright rows? They work traps as well
    Interesting...Thanks for the tip.
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Vitamins Am I overdoing it?
    By FatalFunnel in forum Supplements
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-03-2011, 10:51 PM
  2. My natural test stack whatya think?
    By jcr1 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 12-28-2010, 11:31 PM
  3. Morning Bulk Shake... Overdoing it?
    By SouthernCharm in forum Bulking
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-20-2010, 05:55 AM
  4. Overdoing PCT after Epi Cycle
    By pbrocky in forum Post Cycle Therapy
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-13-2009, 06:28 PM
  5. Am I overdoing it? - gained 18lb in 5wks
    By roznerd in forum Bulking
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-10-2009, 05:13 PM
Log in
Log in