SORENESS day after Training- Good? OR Bad-Overtraining?

jcr1

Banned
Awards
So i wanna clear this up. Ive heard mixed things about getting sore after a hard workout session. Is it good or bad? Im talking about that sore achy feeling that you may have 4 a few days after training a muscle group HARD. Some people say its bad, your over training. Some say its good your pushing your muscles to the limit and you had a good intense workout, and your muscle fibers are torn up and they will grow back stronger and bigger. So is this good or bad?

Personally i love that sore feeling! When a muscle group stops getting sore i like to switch up my routine cause i think my muscles have gotten used to that routine. Thus, muscle confusion!

gamer2be08

gamer2be08

Banned
Awards
  • Established
It is good to be sore. There is a difference between being sore and hitting over training "status"; you'll feel dreadful for a while and know for sure if you overtrained..

hugry4more

hugry4more

Awards
  • Established
I love it to. Makes you feel like you did something right. if your over training to be its more of like a burning sensation. All and i would say if the soreness effects your next training day that a problem other wise your good.

alwaysgaining

alwaysgaining

Awards
  • Established
It is good to be sore. There is a difference between being sore and hitting over training "status"; you'll feel dreadful for a while and know for sure if you overtrained..
lol wat is over training hahahaha ive squatd once per week been sore all week and came back stronger evertime same with bench and cleans if im not sore for two days then i didt lift hard and if im not sore then mix it up

schwellington

schwellington

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
yeah- what gamer said is true- if ur over training you will know it- i overtrained once- it was for a period of two weeks that it went on (I was new to bbing)

I felt like SHTI Tired all the time- like hung over tired, I was grouchy, and HATED going to the gym- as soon as I backed off this all went away

gamer2be08

gamer2be08

Banned
Awards
  • Established
yeah- what gamer said is true- if ur over training you will know it- i overtrained once- it was for a period of two weeks that it went on (I was new to bbing)

I felt like SHTI Tired all the time- like hung over tired, I was grouchy, and HATED going to the gym- as soon as I backed off this all went away
^^^^ That Op, is overtraining

jcr1

Banned
Awards
^^^^ That Op, is overtraining
How so, please explain. I only workout a muscle group once a week, well acutally over a 7-9 day period. Exception of bicep=Twice a week or every 4 days or so.

Moeller

Moeller

Awards
How so, please explain. I only workout a muscle group once a week. Exception of bicep=Twice a week.
I'd bet money you're not overtraining. There seems to be to much emphasis on whether or not you want to go to the gym as an indicator of overtraining when odds are that it's an indicator you just had a ****ty day, girlfreind was bitching, the grocery doesn't stock your oat flower anymore because apparently it doesn't sell well enough even though (god dammit) you just cleaned them out last time I checked that was 'sales, ect......

but I digress...:bigok:

gamer2be08

gamer2be08

Banned
Awards
  • Established
How so, please explain. I only workout a muscle group once a week, well acutally over a 7-9 day period. Exception of bicep=Twice a week or every 4 days or so.
I dont understand your question?

ItsHectic

Awards
  • Established
What about sore rotator cuff muscles, I dont know how to go about it, they arnt inflamed but on training every 2nd day they are sure all the time, once they get to the point of sharp pain I take a training day off, but I have a feeling they are slowly catching up.

I do rotator cuff work sometimes but if I keep doing it along with my routine it just holds back my gains due to the overtraining of them, cause I need to then take more days off.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
So i wanna clear this up. Ive heard mixed things about getting sore after a hard workout session. Is it good or bad? Im talking about that sore achy feeling that you may have 4 a few days after training a muscle group HARD. Some people say its bad, your over training. Some say its good your pushing your muscles to the limit and you had a good intense workout, and your muscle fibers are torn up and they will grow back stronger and bigger. So is this good or bad?
DOMS is normal and natural and to be completely expected. It can set in anywhere from immediately post-training to a few days after training a particular session, and can last anywhere from 24 hours to a week. It's neither good nor bad, and is certainly no indicator of overtraining - but nor is it an indicator of the quality of your training.

~Team APPNUT

gamer2be08

gamer2be08

Banned
Awards
  • Established
DOMS is normal and natural and to be completely expected. It can set in anywhere from immediately post-training to a few days after training a particular session, and can last anywhere from 24 hours to a week. It's neither good nor bad, and is certainly no indicator of overtraining - but nor is it an indicator of the quality of your training.

~Team APPNUT
That is debatable Rosie.

jcr1

Banned
Awards
ItsHectic; I had the same problem 2 when i was a noob and just started working out. (not saying your a noob). I figured out the problem real fast and corrected it. Well after i found what the heck a rotator cuff (i believe its the muscle behind the front deltoid, right around there, i found out that i just had 2 separate my chest workouts and shoulder workouts farther apart. at least 4 days 4 me. Also when i felt that sharp pain in my cuff i mean i couldnt even lift my arm over my head, i took about 2 weeks off from shoulder and chest workouts. That did it for me!

rambo679

rambo679

Awards
  • Established
I actually like the feeling of DOMS to an extent. The only time I hate it is when you get it the first time you work a group of muscles. For instance, I neglected my calves for a long time and then finally started working them out hard with this Vince Gironda inspired workout. I was sore the next day and felt satisfied, but the next day I awoke in such pain that I literally had to tip toe around work because they were so sore. Same thing happened with my hip flexors. The good thing about that kind of sore-ness though in my mind, is that if you keep working out you'll never be that sore again.

musclemonkey

Awards
as most people said DOMS common and some say ideal.

Overtraining, however, is not ideal. Everyone's body gives off different signals when overtrained...when i've overtrained my body usually feels hungover and weak and my joints generally ache.

from what your first post said though i'd put money on you just having a case of DOMS

Type O Hero

Type O Hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Not really, DOMS have been shown to have no direct correlation to the quality of ones workout.
Agreed... It's not that hard to get sore from working out if that's your goal. I usually only get sore after something like squats or deadlifts or if I do certain exercises I haven't done in a long time. But I could definitely make it a point to get sore if I wanted to. But don't.

jcr1

Banned
Awards
I see what your saying, But its weird for me. Like my biceps never get sore anymore. My chest gets sore when i switch exercises routines, like when i go from low reps heavy weight to high reps with lighter weight. But yeah i think ive fianlly found out how my body feels when im overtrained. Its a crappy feeling. I feel lethargic, had little motivation to train, weak, i kinda wanted to train, but i knew i should NOT be training.