Back in the weight room

1. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    14.8%

Back in the weight room

Had a cast around my leg removed 2 weeks ago. I wasn't able to train much because of transport issues but I managed to train once a week. I'm about to figure out a new workout program cycling the volumes and intensity. I thought of something going like this :

Day 1 : Chest/Triceps
    Weighted Dips or Incline DB Press
    Reverse Grip Bench Press or Close Grip Bench Press
    Military Press or Upright Rows

Day 2 : Cardio

Day 3 : Lower Body
    Squats or Deadlifts
    SLDL or Leg Curls
    Calves Raises
    Hyperextensions
    Weighted Crunches

Day 4 : Cardio

Day 5 : Back/Biceps
    Weighted Pull-Ups or Bent-Over Rows
    Seated Rows (palms facing each other) or Lat Pulldowns
    Barbell Curls or EZ Preacher Curls
    DB Hammer Curls on Inclined bench

Day 6 : Rest

Day 7 : Cardio

Weeks 1-2 : Low Volume, Low Intensity... just to get back on track without hurting myself or my leg.
    Weeks 3-4 : Med Volume, Med Intensity
    Weeks 5-6 : Low Volume, High Intensity
    Weeks 7-8 : High Volume, Med Intensity
    Weeks 9-10 : Low Volume, High Intensity
    Weeks 11-12 : Med Volume, High Intensity
    Weeks 13-14 : Low Volume, Med Intensity
    Weeks 15-16 : High Volume, High Intensity
    Then start over week 1 to 16.

Cardio would always be around 60-70% Heart Rate for 20-30 mins. Although I'd throw a few HIIT sessions now and then.

Any Inputs on the setup, exercises or anything else?

2. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    14.8%

Come'on... don't be scared!
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  237 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    30.83%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

I like it, really not much different from mine right now
    •   

4. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    14.8%

Quote Originally Posted by jweave23
    I like it, really not much different from mine right now
    How are the results coming though?
  5. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    74.62%

DAY 1:
    I personally would do weighted dips and an incline press and throw out the close-grip/reverse grip.
    A lot of people really **** up their shoulders doing upright rows. I love them and still do them, just a warning. Front raises/lateral raises would be good here too.

DAY 3:
    I'd find a way to do both Squats and Deads (regular or SL)..maybe not on the same day, but both are very important

DAY 5:
    You got the right idea..But if you're gonna do pullups, don't do the pulldown, and if you're going to do the seated row, I wouldn't do the bent-over rows (and vice versa)..

All in all it looks pretty good. Hows the diet? I don't know you're goals, but no matter what you're doing, dont be afraid to rest. PLUG PLUG PLUG SHAMELESS PLUG...If you've got the $, PM Iron Addict. I've been working with him and couldn't be happier.
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  237 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    30.83%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorX2k2
    How are the results coming though?
    wonderfully, I love the 3 day split. I almost hate to change it up at some point, but I'll soon stagnate I'm sure and have to, been with this one for awhile now
  7. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    14.8%

Quote Originally Posted by DieTrying
    DAY 1:
    I personally would do weighted dips and an incline press and throw out the close-grip/reverse grip.
    A lot of people really **** up their shoulders doing upright rows. I love them and still do them, just a warning. Front raises/lateral raises would be good here too.

DAY 3:
    I'd find a way to do both Squats and Deads (regular or SL)..maybe not on the same day, but both are very important

DAY 5:
    You got the right idea..But if you're gonna do pullups, don't do the pulldown, and if you're going to do the seated row, I wouldn't do the bent-over rows (and vice versa)..

All in all it looks pretty good. Hows the diet? I don't know you're goals, but no matter what you're doing, dont be afraid to rest. PLUG PLUG PLUG SHAMELESS PLUG...If you've got the $, PM Iron Addict. I've been working with him and couldn't be happier.
    Well... I should have made this clearer, when I wrote, exercise A or B, I meant to do all A's OR all B's both not both or A for one and B for another.

As for squats and DL... like I wrote it would be Squats and then SLDL. Maybe I should do my B workout as DL then Squat variation or something.

Day 5: well... I somewhat explained that if I was to do pull-ups then I'd do seated rows and if I was to do Bent Over Rows I'd do Lat Pulldowns afterward.

I think my diet is fine... I try to eat as much protein as I can, which must be around 250g+, enough healthy fats and some carbs the morning around workouts. My goals are just to gain strenght/weight while maintening BF %age. As for rest, as long as my cardio isnt too heavy and volume/intensity cycled the good way, it should be fine.
  8. Ectomorph man
    Stats
    6'2"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    49.1%

why are you suggesting to throw out closegrip and reversegrip benches? You want to kill any other tricep work besides dips?

doc, i think your split looks good; hitting all the muscles with compounds is a good way to get big fast
  9. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    74.62%

Quote Originally Posted by Bean
    why are you suggesting to throw out closegrip and reversegrip benches? You want to kill any other tricep work besides dips?
    Because for a lot of people (not all) doing dips and a chest pressing movement is plenty of work for your tris. Show me somebody that dips with 300 pounds around their waist, and I'll show you somebody with HUGE triceps. I used to train my chest and then bounce around from skull crushers to pushdowns to close grip, and I never grew. Lately I've become more and more interested in powerlifting, so that could explain my response.
  10. I am faster than 80% of all snakes
    Stats
    6'1"  221 lbs.

If your goals are strenght training I would concentrate on rep ranges that stimulate neural response along with stimulating myofibillar hypertrophy. You can throw in high rep ranges on isolation movements to induce sarcoplasmic hypertrophy but this is more of a maintenance issue.

I would also knock the high intensity cardio out. It has the same hormonal response as resistance training so you could easily overtrain. It just doesn't serve much purpose with the split you have created.
    For answers to board issues, read the Suggestion and News forum at the bottom of the main page.
  11. I am faster than 80% of all snakes
    Stats
    6'1"  221 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by DieTrying
    . Show me somebody that dips with 300 pounds around their waist, and I'll show you somebody with HUGE triceps. .
    I can show you some people. I know plenty of powerlifters that are pretty small. Neural stimulation and actuall myofibillar hypertrophy are two completely different things.
    For answers to board issues, read the Suggestion and News forum at the bottom of the main page.
  12. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    14.8%

My goals are mostly to gain weight and size along with some strenght... BBing, not PLing.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Remembering back in the day
    By MaynardMeek in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-14-2006, 07:05 PM
  2. Back in the game
    By Sandcruiser in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-02-2006, 03:34 AM
  3. Royce Gracie back in the UFC
    By drunk in forum MMA
    Replies: 68