Barbell vs Dumbbell

Bile12345

Awards
Which do you think is better? Working with a Barbell or a Dumbbell? Personally I think Dumbbells are better because you can isolate a certain part of a muscle group. Like sometimes I like to do single arm db incline bench presses to smoke one side of my chest and then do the other side. This is just my opinion and the gym Im currently at is lacking in equipment besides dumbbells.

ItsHectic

Awards
  • Established
I think DBs are superior, with Barbells unless you really concerntrate on your weaker side you wont grow symetrically. Some excercises though such as barbell row are shown to better target muscles than DB row, but I tend to stick to DBs whenever I can.

pansori

Awards
it all depends on your goals. switching between the two is the best thing to do to keep your body confused. abandoning either one completely is kinda dumb IMO.

deadaim

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Lol anyone who says one is better than the other has not been lifting long enough.

votum

votum

Awards
  • Established
Lol anyone who says one is better than the other has not been lifting long enough.
This.

You use a lot more stabilizers when using DBs, but you can typically lift a lot more weight using a BB.

You should be using both for sure :D

BUCKNUTS

BUCKNUTS

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
This.

You use a lot more stabilizers when using DBs, but you can typically lift a lot more weight using a BB.

You should be using both for sure :D
Agreed, but what if you were forced to make a choice? I would choose DBs personally.

Moeller

Moeller

Awards
Agreed, but what if you were forced to make a choice? I would choose DBs personally.
I probably would too, under the pre-tense that I was trying to build muscle. For powerlifting/strength training though? Idk........

One thing that I think that dumbbells are lacking is the definate ROM that a barbell provides. For instance touching your neck/chest to insure a quality rep instead of eyeballing it or 'feeling' the rep ensures that there's no cheating (even un-intentional) involved. Opinions on this?

Bile12345

Awards
Well the gym on my COP is small and usually crowded. And by crowded I mean like 4 people in there. So I usually have no choice but to use Dumbbells. Besides I think they isolate certain groups better. But of course I use a barbell for deadlifts and squats.

votum

votum

Awards
  • Established
I've heard db deadlifts are actually quite nice.

If dbs are all you can get, go for it. They do work your muscles differently. I would try and get some bb presses in once a week or every other week just to keep that bb strength up, you can press from the squat rack pins, which is actually pretty good for that explosive strength going back up.

sonofsteven

Awards
  • Established
I probably would too, under the pre-tense that I was trying to build muscle. For powerlifting/strength training though? Idk........

One thing that I think that dumbbells are lacking is the definate ROM that a barbell provides. For instance touching your neck/chest to insure a quality rep instead of eyeballing it or 'feeling' the rep ensures that there's no cheating (even un-intentional) involved. Opinions on this?
If I had to pick - DB's fo sho . A lot of my reasoning is personally taylored to me though . I much rather prfer to work out by myself with the Ipod blaring so nobody distracts me and depending on what location I lift at , I may not have safety bars for benching and would hate to get stuck . Also my left arm is about 3/4 in longer than my right and so far this has been most prevalent when I do BB bench(I've never had a taylor made suit though :) . If I don't extend my left out just a little farther than my right it feels awkard and unstable . Don't notice it at all w/DB's .
As for the ROM I think you are completely correct . A BB will def keep you honest . I figure that anyone who is remotely serious about lifting , regardles of their motivation , should develop a good mind muscle connection right off the bat . Doing so will most likely ensure a clean lift no matter what you use . With DB's I actually go a little negative - as far below my chest as I can stretch . A basic yoga routine daily does help with being able to do that .