Barbell vs Dumbbell

1. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    54.49%

Barbell vs Dumbbell

Which do you think is better? Working with a Barbell or a Dumbbell? Personally I think Dumbbells are better because you can isolate a certain part of a muscle group. Like sometimes I like to do single arm db incline bench presses to smoke one side of my chest and then do the other side. This is just my opinion and the gym Im currently at is lacking in equipment besides dumbbells.

2. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    46.18%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

I think DBs are superior, with Barbells unless you really concerntrate on your weaker side you wont grow symetrically. Some excercises though such as barbell row are shown to better target muscles than DB row, but I tend to stick to DBs whenever I can.
  3. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  174 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    68.54%

it all depends on your goals. switching between the two is the best thing to do to keep your body confused. abandoning either one completely is kinda dumb IMO.
    •   

4. Banned
    Stats
    5'11"  170 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    27.26%

Lol anyone who says one is better than the other has not been lifting long enough.
  5. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    10.33%

Quote Originally Posted by deadaim View Post
    Lol anyone who says one is better than the other has not been lifting long enough.
    This.

You use a lot more stabilizers when using DBs, but you can typically lift a lot more weight using a BB.

You should be using both for sure
  6. Board Supporter
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    49.65%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by votum View Post
    This.

You use a lot more stabilizers when using DBs, but you can typically lift a lot more weight using a BB.

You should be using both for sure
    Agreed, but what if you were forced to make a choice? I would choose DBs personally.
  7. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  209 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.45%

Quote Originally Posted by BUCKNUTS View Post
    Agreed, but what if you were forced to make a choice? I would choose DBs personally.
    I probably would too, under the pre-tense that I was trying to build muscle. For powerlifting/strength training though? Idk........

One thing that I think that dumbbells are lacking is the definate ROM that a barbell provides. For instance touching your neck/chest to insure a quality rep instead of eyeballing it or 'feeling' the rep ensures that there's no cheating (even un-intentional) involved. Opinions on this?
  8. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    10.33%

Quote Originally Posted by BUCKNUTS View Post
    I guess DB because it's more versatile o.O
  9. Banned
    Stats
    5'11"  170 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    27.26%

brb doing dumbell deadlifts.
  10. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    54.49%

Well the gym on my COP is small and usually crowded. And by crowded I mean like 4 people in there. So I usually have no choice but to use Dumbbells. Besides I think they isolate certain groups better. But of course I use a barbell for deadlifts and squats.
  11. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    10.33%

I've heard db deadlifts are actually quite nice.

If dbs are all you can get, go for it. They do work your muscles differently. I would try and get some bb presses in once a week or every other week just to keep that bb strength up, you can press from the squat rack pins, which is actually pretty good for that explosive strength going back up.
  12. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  187 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    71.66%

Quote Originally Posted by Moeller View Post
    I probably would too, under the pre-tense that I was trying to build muscle. For powerlifting/strength training though? Idk........

One thing that I think that dumbbells are lacking is the definate ROM that a barbell provides. For instance touching your neck/chest to insure a quality rep instead of eyeballing it or 'feeling' the rep ensures that there's no cheating (even un-intentional) involved. Opinions on this?
    If I had to pick - DB's fo sho . A lot of my reasoning is personally taylored to me though . I much rather prfer to work out by myself with the Ipod blaring so nobody distracts me and depending on what location I lift at , I may not have safety bars for benching and would hate to get stuck . Also my left arm is about 3/4 in longer than my right and so far this has been most prevalent when I do BB bench(I've never had a taylor made suit though . If I don't extend my left out just a little farther than my right it feels awkard and unstable . Don't notice it at all w/DB's .
    As for the ROM I think you are completely correct . A BB will def keep you honest . I figure that anyone who is remotely serious about lifting , regardles of their motivation , should develop a good mind muscle connection right off the bat . Doing so will most likely ensure a clean lift no matter what you use . With DB's I actually go a little negative - as far below my chest as I can stretch . A basic yoga routine daily does help with being able to do that .

Similar Forum Threads

1. OHP vs Dumbbell OHP
    By Steelwolf in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-14-2011, 02:32 AM
  2. Dumbbell Flies
    By Pain Eater in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-17-2009, 02:41 PM
  3. Strength Training: Barbell or Dumbbell?
    By The Anarchist in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-13-2008, 02:59 AM
  4. Barbell and Dumbbell? or Barbell then Dumbbell?
    By Nicolai in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-16-2003, 02:15 PM