Upright row question

I

ItsHectic

Awards
  • Established
Has anyone actually injured their shoulders doing upright rows correctly?

I am starting to doubt they are dangerous if done correctly, every reputable article says they are dangerous because of the internal rotation of the humerus when the arm is raised up to 90 degrees, but with a shoulder width grip there is no internal rotation of the humerus at all, only of the wrists which shouldnt matter as you only bring the arms up 80 degrees not 90, infact done correctly the humerus follows the scapular plane.

I have seen heaps of videos on youtube and 8/10 do it wrong, either too narrow grip or too wide and bringing it up too high(100degree angle).

I used to do them a while back, arms at shoulder width, back straight chest out, shoulders back with the bar bought up to nipple level (humerus at 80 degrees max) and never had a problem, but then I read that its an exercise that slowly damages your shoulders without notice?

I dont know what to believe.

gamer2be08

gamer2be08

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Ever since I started incorporating them in my shoulder days, my shoulders dont ache any more when I bench..

Killerkanadia

Killerkanadia

Awards
  • Established
I really don't see it happening. The weight just isn't there.

SouthernCharm

SouthernCharm

Awards
  • Established
Actually did these to help rehab a tight shoulder. Helps on chest days, like gamer2be states.

lonewolf0420

lonewolf0420

Awards
  • Established
They brought width to my delts. Like any other exercise, form is key.

I prefer wide grip over narrow grip.

I

ItsHectic

Awards
  • Established
I'm gonna try perfect my form on standing side lateral raise and if I dont feel good about them, which I usually dont with lever style exercises(flyes etc) I will go back to these, back when I did these they added a lot of width to my shoulders.

Minnesota

Minnesota

Awards
wide grip uprights focuses more on the middle delt anyways, i love them with my shoulder and trap wokouts, which fall the next day of my pec and tri workouts

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I think it really comes down to weight used. I asked this same question on a different board (more gear users) and most said the exercise is too risky.

I

ItsHectic

Awards
  • Established
I have had the same experience too on other forums but from what I have gathered most people who are saying its too risky are just going from what they have been told, and based on that the overwhelming majority of websites and videos on the net do it wrong I cant take any claim its dangerous seriously.
I am looking for someone who has done it right say yea it screwed my shoulder, or a reliable study that used proper form display it does cause impingement.

brad1224

brad1224

Awards
  • Established
I think it really comes down to weight used. I asked this same question on a different board (more gear users) and most said the exercise is too risky.
x2...ppl use too much weight in my opinion

Moeller

Moeller

Awards
I'll always include some form of an upright row in a shoulder/upper trap workout... excluding it just because INCORRECT form might lead to injury seems a shame especially since with a little conscious effort to form and it's a good way to add overall size to the shoulder area IMO

waynaferd

waynaferd

Awards
  • Established
first time I tried it I was way too heavy and hurt myself. Now I use moderate weight on the cable machine, with a narrower-than-shoulder-width grip with no problems.

M

manicstudio

Awards
I do semi-heavy upright rows of 8 -13 reps x3sets, but outside shoulder width apart...close grip causes impingment when using heavy weight...which sounds like commonsense given the mechanics and structure of the shoulders...and I never have a problem...I always do warm up sets though and do them at the end of my workout, its a fun excercise n some ppl see they results n wanna rush into the excercise after awhile...I think that's what causes injuries imo

cowboy007

cowboy007

Awards
  • Established
I do upright rows to warm up my shoulders for my workout then do three sets to failure to end it. I feel it loosens me up great and keeps me loose. Never tried the wider grip though.. might have to check it out, tomorrow is a shoulder day....